The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby razorback » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:31 am

Michael I have been hoping you would post before Christmas. I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you and pray you are making progress on licking your medical situation. Please have a Merry Christmas and know you are thought of in the best way by a tremendous number of folks on this forum!
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Fantastic build... I hope you are doing well and look forward to more updates.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:47 pm

razorback wrote:Michael I have been hoping you would post before Christmas. I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you and pray you are making progress on licking your medical situation. Please have a Merry Christmas and know you are thought of in the best way by a tremendous number of folks on this forum!

My thoughts as well.

Michael, Thinking of you and all your awesome "dude-ness" in this holiday season. Good wishes to you and yours my friend.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:37 am

Hey guess what Ya'll... I'm back!!!

It's been 4 months, give or take, since I posted. Which seems like a life time. It's been so long I doubt anyone still follows this build, but just in case, here goes...

So I did it. Yep... I kicked cancer. 26 days in the hospital. 15 rounds of some nasty chemo. 33 rounds of radiation. Blood clots in my leg. Two years being sick. Great Doctors. Great Family. Great Friends. And Prayer. Lots and lots of Prayer. And if you prayed for me, don't stop. Cancer takes its toll on your mind, your soul, your family... I still have a long way to go. Also, thank you to those who supported me. I couldn't have done it without you. We really are in this life together my friends. Sorry I missed some posts and Chriatmas greetings. Just fighting the good fight had me kind of, well... busy.

Anyway... enough of that.

Now, on to that that thing we've all come here for. The Astroliner Build!

Let me catch you up. Little by little, here and there some work is being accomplished. The interior is the main focus right now. Building walls, cabinets, seats for the dinette, storage compartments, indirect lighting features. I know you want pic's, so here you go. Oh, in case you forgot by now what Miss Astroliner looks like, let me refresh you:

We've been working in the Dinette area. All Birch, Lacquered, Rubbed, Polished. I get stupid with it I won't lie. But danged if it ain't worth it! That Blond Birch and the Hot Flake still really do it for me... Come see it in person and tell us what you think!

We left off somewhere around here:

We started building the framing for the bench seats around the Dinette. Of course, I had to have it sitting on an angle, with rounded birch fronts, curved bodies to match the tabletop so it can be lowered into a bed AND it had to fit the curvature of the front wall of the coach and the angled bathroom walls! Now that the level of difficulty is through the roof, let's do this!

Lots of crazy measurements, some math, and a Chinese Abacus later, we started to test fit the pieces BEFORE any glue or nails. That was fun. No it wasn't. I guess it depends how twisted your idea of fun is...

Notice how the frames had to match up to angled walls, curved tabletop and curved walls! I also needed a place to hide the fresh water tank and pump. Our estimates say she's light in the tongue so the extra weight of the 30 gallon tank will help that easily. I know... 30 gallons of fresh water is probably overkill, but hey... I want what I want.

Next we ran 1/4" Birch through the drum sander until it got bendy. We glued the pieces on the frames, then epoxied the insides for strength.

Time to install the speakers. We had a bad combination of thin walled benches and heavy duty magnets on those speakers that weighed a lot! So I made frames to fit, then glassed them in with carbon fiber for strength. I was worried about bouncing down the road with the weight of the speakers pulling on the Birch. Well, no worries now as you can see...

Next came lids for the bench seats. Notice how they have to fit the lowered table (which still needs paint btw.)

All the new pieces were lacquered and polished, and are now ready for upholstery! I'm thinking retro muscle car interior, what do you think?

I had to kick back for awhile and just take it in. This is how I get inspiration and ideas...

Well I guess we're all caught up now. This weekend we'll be working on the footboard/TV/TV stand for the bedroom. I have a pretty cool surprise in mind for that!

Oh... one more thing I want to share. Carrie told me at Christmas she got me a "Thank you for not dying on me" present. So what do you get a guy who almost dies but doesn't? A Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe, that's what!

Yes I know... spoiled as can be by a really great girl! Oh well, we've been through hell and were looking forward to riding some stress away!

So until next time...Happy building (and riding) my friends!

Michael

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:03 am

Welcome Back Michael,, :applause: :thumbsup: :worship: :D

Been waiting for you to finish this thing... It's one amazing build... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sure glad you are doing better... :applause: and great Christmas present....
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 am

Staryder61 wrote:Welcome Back Michael,, :applause: :worship: :D

Been waiting for you to finish this thing... It's one amazing build...

Sure glad you are doing better... :applause: and great Christmas present....
Thank you so much! Here's my situation... Between the Cancer and the fact that it's stored an hour and a half away, I basically get two Saturdays a month to work on it. And that work day includes 3 hours drive time! So yeah... it's a slow process. I want it done SO BAD!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 am

The best part about this build is your spirit. All the best
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:29 am

YES YES YES
To the medical NEWS !
To the beautiful camper PROGRESS !
To the BIKE !
2018 WILL be your year !
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am

You'll get it done.. doing it at your own pace.. :)

The main thing is your health, :thumbsup: you are still here with us and your family.. and you're getting good reports about the cancer.. :D
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby jsnbergman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:37 am

Great news wooping cancers arse! I showed my wife your work after I started our build, really raised her expectations of my abilities. Shes already talking about me doing a standee, and the liner will definitely be the inspiration. :beer:
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 am

Staryder61 wrote:You'll get it done.. doing it at your own pace.. :)

The main thing is your health, you are still here with us and your family.. and you're getting good reports about the cancer.. :D
Thank you. I don't like the pace. But I could write a Life Lessons book that has come with doing a build like this! It teaches you every step of the way...

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jbell.louisburg » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 am

Atomic77 wrote:Hey guess what Ya'll... I'm back!!! Yep... I kicked cancer. 26 days in the hospital. 15 rounds of some nasty chemo. 33 rounds of radiation. Blood clots in my leg. Two years being sick. Great Doctors. Great Family. Great Friends. And Prayer. Lots and lots of Prayer.

My father-in-law, and best friend did the whole leukemia thing, mayo clinic, etc... (too much agent orange as a marine in 'nam)
Mayo got him 5 extra years -- and arguably -- those were the best.

I have an appreciation for your fight. Standing ovation from me...
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:46 am

jsnbergman wrote:Great news wooping cancers arse! I showed my wife your work after I started our build, really raised her expectations of my abilities. Shes already talking about me doing a standee, and the liner will definitely be the inspiration.
That sounds great and thank you! Ask yourself one question and one question only to determine what you should build; "Do I want to put my pants on lying down or standing up?" That's how I decided on a standie. I'm ready to see your progress! Best of luck!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 am

jbell.louisburg wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Hey guess what Ya'll... I'm back!!! Yep... I kicked cancer. 26 days in the hospital. 15 rounds of some nasty chemo. 33 rounds of radiation. Blood clots in my leg. Two years being sick. Great Doctors. Great Family. Great Friends. And Prayer. Lots and lots of Prayer.

My father-in-law, and best friend did the whole leukemia thing, mayo clinic, etc... (too much agent orange as a marine in 'nam)
Mayo got him 5 extra years -- and arguably -- those were the best.

I have an appreciation for your fight. Standing ovation from me...
Thank you to you and utmost respect to him for his service and his fight!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jbell.louisburg » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:39 am

And congrats on your twin cylinder !! My father in law loved his 321 cu in twin cylinder that he rebuilt from the ashes...

although the 321 was green, and said john deere.... Hope this brings a smile to you -- you deserve it.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals