32" Gooseneck Toy Hauler Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 32" Gooseneck Toy Hauler Build

Postby hankaye » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm

norgewizard, Howdy;

About the A/C question, call or wander down to one of the local RV repair shops and talk
with the mechanics. Most that I've encountered will gladly share the information with ya.
Added bene is that the parts dept. most likely has what they recommend on hand.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm your Huckleberry.
That foam seal should be of the dense type. Closed cell I believe it is called. It should have a peel and stick adhesive. I applied that to the underside of the A/C before you center over the hole and frame. Then there is an inner bezel that is screwed on and it pulls the ac tight compressing the seal. You want to have your ceiling material sandwiched in there as well. Also, there should be another piece of foam that shims and supports and cushions the long end of AC against the roof. Then the inside control and duct assembly attaches to the bezel.
Piece of cake. One and done. I did fashion a foam "plug" to insert into the air exchanger duct in the winter so heated air wont be able to rise into that duct. I think it helps a lot. The heat strip works OK at 30f and up but at a certain point you are losing more than it can put in. Plug it off and keep reheating the same air over and over with furnace or space heater.
I don't know what brand you have, but here are some PDFs

http://www.ntpdistribution.com/PDF/Cole ... 20Page.pdf
http://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/pdf ... 5D.025.pdf
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/manuals/duoth ... lation.pdf

McDave

PS We are getting some heavy, wet snow finally. The winter wheat farmers were getting pretty nervous around here. This is great Christmas gift for them.

Edit: Try this one for Coleman Mach
http://www.1willwander.com/2013/07/cole ... ation.html
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Thank you Huckleberry.......or is it Doc Holiday....love that movie. It's a Coleman 13,500 unit and I think I lost the instructions.....or maybe none came with it. Just looked at
the factory installation pdf and it looks like the thick foam gasket that came with it is all that is needed.
Got about 6" of white stuff here overnight..........plowing and shoveling today.
Thanks guys....................Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:55 am

Well, we didn't get enough to plow. yet. But that's OK. I need to do some maintenance on the plow truck anyway. It's a balmy 9f this AM so what better time to lay under a truck?
That last PDF for Coleman looks to be "Vintage"... So it may not be exact for your unit, but it gives the general idea. You got the moxy to figure it out.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Borrowed a crimp tool (industrial grade) from my friend at the electrical supply house. Does a nice job!!

Flyboy.......you would be like a kid in a candy store looking at all of the solar energy stuff he has......he does a lot of off
grid houses in this area.

Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:44 pm

norgewizard wrote:Borrowed a crimp tool (industrial grade) from my friend at the electrical supply house. Does a nice job!!

Flyboy.......you would be like a kid in a candy store looking at all of the solar energy stuff he has......he does a lot of off
grid houses in this area.

Tim

Did you mean Flboy for Florida Boy? I bet I would enjoy that place. Call me weird... but I like just looking around places like that. I even find myself going to Northern Tool and Tractor Supply just to look at stuff sometimes.

I really like electrical gadgets and technology in general. I have my solar system dialed in now. I really is performing as designed. Last week while I was camping, it was overcast during the day, plus I was under oak trees with broken light, but even with that, the MPPT controller would manage about 7 amps during the day. With the 325aH of batteries and really just running everything (Fridge, TV, Microwave, Lights, Radios, charging phone and laptop, etc..), I only had to run the generator for about 2 to 3 hours each evening just to top off the batteries. In the mornings I was still at 12.4V . Sundown at 6PM and I stay up late, so 6 plus hours with lights, TV, etc. and the fridge which is always online. Not bad.

The DC Converter I have runs 50A max, so it really doesn't stress the generator with the ~600W. The Honda 2000 just purrs in Eco mode. I used less than a gallon of gas the whole time.

On the way home it was sunny and I pulled over to a rest stop to grab a coke from the fridge and in full sun (some clouds), the system was generating 25a and the batteries were near full after an hour or so on the road.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Don.......Yes that is an amazing system you have engineered for your trailer. My local dealer that I borrowed the tool from does about all of the off grid homes here in N Idaho
and NW Montana. Does the design and install.....if you buy the equipment from him the design is included, no charge. Master electrician to boot. If I ever decided to install
any solar, he would be my go to guy. Problem is 6 months of winter and then in summer I have a huge mountain blocking my view of the sun....can't complain though, I live in
my own personal campground.........just cold in winter....hence the trailer and Arizona/ Texas in winter.
See pic.

Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby norgewizard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Got a little more done, now that the sub zero temps have passed. Finishing out the rear 9'-6" toy hauler part with some shelves.

Came up with a good idea for some rolling barn doors. Using some aluminum strips from HD, and my 12.00 garage door wheels 3" from ebay.
I think I have about 25.00 in hardware for both doors.......rolls wonderfully. May paint the aluminum later...or maybe not.

Got some more bath cabinets installed and finished out my 36 x 48 shower...waiting for door to arrive.

And got the laminate on the kitchen counters and knobs installed.....soft close drawers.....sweet!!!

Doing the laminate floor next and have ordered some coin rubber for the rear section and the ramp.

Whew!!!!!
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am

Top notch!!! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 am

Oh yeah, that's comin' along nicely! Great big shower. Hey, I used a pocket door to separate cargo/garage from galley area, so let me just add this.... You gotta have some sort of latches on those barn sliders or they will beat the hell out of everything while in transit. Ask me how I know... :oops:
Well you should be ready to head south anytime now, so let me know when and where and maybe we can rendezvous someplace warm, like Austin or Vegas. I'll pack the Harley or the Chief and we can get some riding in.
Looks Good Mr.,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby norgewizard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 am

McDave wrote:Oh yeah, that's comin' along nicely! Great big shower. Hey, I used a pocket door to separate cargo/garage from galley area, so let me just add this.... You gotta have some sort of latches on those barn sliders or they will beat the hell out of everything while in transit. Ask me how I know... :oops:
Well you should be ready to head south anytime now, so let me know when and where and maybe we can rendezvous someplace warm, like Austin or Vegas. I'll pack the Harley or the Chief and we can get some riding in.
Looks Good Mr.,

McDave

Yea, that's right on the sliding doors....I have actually planned on storing them for transport so as not to roll around. I would also love to head south.......but I'ts impossible since I can't even get out my driveway this time of year, pulling a trailer.
Also have all of the underneath plumbing hookups to do. I would however like to do a "shakedown" trip in the spring.
Thanks for all the good comments/ suggestions!!

Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 am

Yeah, I've been plowing everyday for a week now. Running out of places to put it all. We are supposed to get a break next weekend but I'm not counting on it. On the bright side, only 3-4 more months till the sun comes out.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:59 am

Just found your build. It is looking really nice. When I see a build like this makes me wish I had some of those finer skills. Great job.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby norgewizard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Found this little guy last week when running my gas lines.

It's great for testing. I used black iron pipe for the main run and came off of it with flared copper. PITA....crawling around in the
snow around the trailer, but it is done now.
Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 am

:thumbsup:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions