Photos being held hostage

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Photos being held hostage

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Yea, you know the ones... from Photobucket. That started happening eariler this year, I don't remember the exact date. Does anyone here know the exact date?

Why does it matter? Well, in case we want to go to the wayback machine to look at the photos, we need a before date.

What do you think about people putting a link to the wayback version of the thread that is being held hostage? How would that work? Well lets say you want to read a thread, and all the photos in that thread are being held hostage. You would go to the wayback machine, find the same thread with the photos intact, and post a link to the wayback thread.

If we all did that, then eventually there would be links to all the photos that are being held hostage.

I don't have any better ideas... do you?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Photos being held hostage

Postby Dan242 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:23 pm

It was early Summer I think, I have been moving photos to Imgur
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Dan242 wrote:It was early Summer I think, I have been moving photos to Imgur

I wonder, is that the best thing to do? I mean, we do have free photo hosting here on the forum.
viewtopic.php?p=911290#p911290

Dan, are you updating your threads with the new links to photos?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MtnDon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

I have a note dating the first time I saw the problem as being June 28, 2017.

One temporary remedy has been to install the photobucket problem fix in the browser. I have that for Chrome. However, the problem can still come up when the images disappear from photobucket. Along with the $$$ change to their policy I am pretty sure I read that accounts that have had no owner access in a year will be closed. I have not accessed mine since they changed policy so I imagine my photos will be gone next summer.

For me it is simply way too time consuming to go back and re-link images to other hosts, here or wherever. I have hundreds, if not a thousand of images all over the internet, as scattered as my varied interests. I re-uploaded and re-linked about 50 images on the flashlight forum because that topic was dear to me. I can't even remember half the threads I posted images to in the past years, let alone imagine taking the time to upload again and re-link. Some images had links to several different forums. A nightmare to sort out.

I noticed the change did not occur all at once across all photobucket accounts. We had/have more than one account. We had not added images to one in about 3 years. Images used on forums from account were visible for a week or more after the images from the latest uploaded images on a different account.
Last edited by MtnDon on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Using the wayback machine is a good idea. Until we overload their servers. ;)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Good Lord, I'll never keep up. I can't even photoshop to make my tear actually look presentable :lol:, let alone figure out how to outsmart photobucket.. ..... OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!...........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan242 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Dan242 wrote:It was early Summer I think, I have been moving photos to Imgur

I wonder, is that the best thing to do? I mean, we do have free photo hosting here on the forum.
viewtopic.php?p=911290#p911290

Dan, are you updating your threads with the new links to photos?

Mike...

I've fixed some, need to go in and clean it up, Think I've finally settled on imgur, tried my amazon prme hosting, but it's wanky, some show up and then go away. I have some here hosted too, just need to sort it out...
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:28 pm

Photobucket has ruined the interweb. I had foot surgery two weeks ago and have been passing my time on line. So many forums with useless threads. And I think forums like TNTTT get hurt the worse. The threads are very picture intensive and threads from 2005 are still relevant.

I would be nice if a Mod could go and edit the first post on some of the build journal threads and leave a warning that XX% of the photos are missing. But that would be a big job.

Thanks for a great forum.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby crttaz » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:09 am

Or you could just work around the problem using an app if you are on Chrome....

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en

or

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jjgj?hl=en
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:34 am

Elsewhere on the web, others have said June 26th. Close enough.

If you guys can create albums here on the forum, and link to those photos instead, that would help get the forum back into a little bit of shape.
If you need help figuring the gallery on this forum, here's the help: viewtopic.php?p=911290#p911290

I tried fixing a couple threads. It was a lot of work. But if you know of any threads where the photos have been destroyed by photobucket, and the original poster is no longer around, let me know, I'll grab the photos before they disappear completely. Just send me a PM.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MtnDon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Images hosted on photobucket are now appearing again in topics where they were originally placed. A watermark is superimposed but that is better than a blank filler

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby crttaz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:48 am

The images started showing up a few months ago after they understood their screw up. I don't mine their watermark along with mine as well on some images.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Return to Threads about the forum!