Bike hauler Teardrop?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Bike hauler Teardrop?

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 am

Hi, I'm a noob here. I've been checking this site out for ideas and finally got registered.

So here's what I'm hoping to build. I'd like to use the teardrop design incorporated into a toy hauler to haul a motorcycle in. My biggest concern is structural integrity in the rear end since I won't be using the traditional galley, that space will need to be open to get the bike in and out. I'm hoping I can brace the rear with metal supports as shown in the drawings (I need to learn how to use Sketchup). The bike will probably be my DR650 (380lbs) but I'm sizing it to also fit my Tiger 800 (500lbs.) if I decide I'd rather take that bike. Only one bike will go at a time given the space restrictions. I started out thinking a 5x5x10 should be big enough but might stretch it out to as big as 6'W x 5'6"H x 10'L. I'll be towing with a Sienna minivan so weight and aerodynamics are important. Hoping I can start with a landscape trailer if I decide to go with the drop down ramp design and incorporate the built in ramp.
Here's the ideas I'm starting with. I'd really appreciate any feedback I can get. My carpentry skills are decent enough but I have no welding skills so will have to hire that out if needed.
Attachments
teardrop toyhauler.jpg
teardrop toyhauler.jpg (162.39 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Bike hauler Teardrop?

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 am

My TD was originally built to be a Bike hauler. The PO used 3 inch roof spars to try and add more strength. I think if you do that and attach it to the frame in a very strong way and brace it well during construction, I think it would be ok. If it were me, I would add triangle gussets at the roof line and the floor, and probably add tie downs in an X pattern between them if I were going to be on rough roads. Just make sure you don’t put the hinge too far forward, because that would weaken the hole thing. Another thing you can do it to make the galley hatch narrow. If you leave some side at the back it will help hold it all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:31 am

Do you have any pics of it when it was used as a bike hauler? I'd be interested in seeing that. There's almost nothing out there that I've been able to find for reference.
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:46 am

Ride4321 wrote:Do you have any pics of it when it was used as a bike hauler? I'd be interested in seeing that. There's almost nothing out there that I've been able to find for reference.

It wasn't finished, that was the original plan, when I bought it the shell just sat on the trailer, and they had cut the hatch but way to far foward. Read my build thread to see what I mean. Search for "Tomabago"
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:09 pm

DR in trlr.jpeg
DR in trlr.jpeg (118.18 KiB) Viewed 4857 times

sorry about the wonky pic i tried to rotate it to no avail

when i used my 5x10 cargo trlr to haul the DR-350 things were tight butt it did work

i could even leave my bed made up and for a storage point over & under...

i feel one key to doing this successfully is to have secure tiedowns thru the floor/frame so the skoot CAN'T move about while traveling

my personal solution is BEDBOLTS

http://www.bedbolts.com

they will work thru a 3/4" deck on top of an angle iron or stamped channel frame

and since the forged eyes can be removed & plugged for other purposes while being able to be replaced/used as needed i have employed them in other trailers as well

once the space issue is settled in your mind allz you gotz2do is plant the bedbolts and go on with your build

don't forget to make headroom for loading & unoading activities :shock:

while i'm here i might suggest tiedown straps w/ loop ends and ratcheting devices 'cause you'll need 'em in those close quarters

PINGLE makes a nice front wheel chock that can be removed and set aside while using the foor as a floor ;-)

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/rem ... chocks.asp

positioning the side door(s) so you can reach everywhere inside the rig when packed/packing is real handy also

this sounds like a fun build

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Tom: Looks like the original builder had the hinges up above the side door. Wow, I have no intention of going that far forward. Nice job fixing it up.

Swoody: That pic gives good perspective of space, maybe 6' width is in order. Headroom for loading/unloading is going to be a pain no doubt. I'll probably build a mockup of the sides with the hinge area braced with a support to see just how practical/impractical this will be. A couple sheets of luan or cardboard and some furring strips will give me a better idea if I'll even be able to wheel the bike in and out. An alternative would be an extended tongue and hauling the bike in front of the TD sideways but there goes the aerodynamics so not sure that's such a good idea.

Here's your pic rotated.
Attachments
DR in trlr.jpeg
DR in trlr.jpeg (226.21 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:47 pm

R4321, i forgot to mention the handle bars are shortened for woods riding which may give an appearance of extra room

doing an el cheapo mock up is sound

the 2nd pic in the OP has merit making a flop down ramp part of the trlr body

maybe a bit of an overhang above the ramp would help w/ weather issues

6' wide wouldn't be too much when considering the inside requirements

just factor in the width of the TV and ask if you can see around a 6' wide box behind it(one reason i like the 5 footer behnd my Jeep Cherokee)

have you considered a 6' wide body w/ the wheels inside the walls?

just have to set the trlr undercarriage so the foot pegs clear the fender well(no dropt axle)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Take a look at this build. I think it might be what you are looking for. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69257
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:02 pm

The bike should fit centered on the trailer so wheel wells inside wouldn't be a big issue. If I went 6' wide I'd probably want to do that. The van is just under 6' wide, probably 6' at the widest point.
I prefer the drop down ramp although it doesn't really look that good. It'd be easier to build and serve a purpose as well. I plan to build a galley in the back of the van so don't really need that area in the TD for much of anything. I'll have plenty of storage in the van. I just finished a few built ins this past week actually. Bed and some storage. Figured I'd be needing a place to sleep when the bike is in the TD.
Attachments
revised bench 2.jpg
revised bench 2.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
shelves 7.jpg
shelves 7.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 pm

greygoos wrote:Take a look at this build. I think it might be what you are looking for. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69257

I saw that. Lots of space but it is too much like a cargo trailer and loses all the aeros of the TD. If I go that route (which isn't ruled out) I'll probably just start with a cargo trailer. He did a real nice job with that build though and there are some good ideas I can use there.
Last edited by Ride4321 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:05 pm

What is the end goal? Just an enclosed trailer to haul the bikes in? Sleep in also?

With that huge hatch you might want to get the Steve Frederick teardrop manual and use his way to build the hatch. Not sure how much of the other info will be but but the price is worth it just for the hatch and door info.

I would not try to build on a trailer with a ramp/tailgate. Easier to get a HF alu ATV ramp and slide it along the side.

Looks like a fun build.

Todd

KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:What is the end goal? Just an enclosed trailer to haul the bikes in? Sleep in also?

With that huge hatch you might want to get the Steve Frederick teardrop manual and use his way to build the hatch.
Todd

This will be my winter escape vehicle in retirement. Yep, I plan on living it it for months at a time out in the SW. The bike will keep me occupied during the day so I shouldn't suffer from claustrophobia too much. I figure two small spaces (van & TD) should be enough for one person. I'll have some sort of awning or screened area as well.
I'll check out Steves TD manual. Not sure I've seen that yet.
Good point on the ramp. Maybe I could come up with some creative idea for a removable ramp being used as shelving or a table?

I did see plans for this design on eBay. This shape might work very well for my needs.
Attachments
big teardrop 2 sm.jpg
big teardrop 2 sm.jpg (311.19 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ride4321 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:00 pm

I also think the lifting roof designs on this site might work well.

http://www.mikenchell.com/WWEH_Photo_Album/
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby crttaz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 am

Rick, what is your TV/Van?

Rookie myself I'm looking for a TV/miniVan to sleep in (Honda Oddity winning so far) while towing a trailer that can haul transmissions and such, but can also be dropped off in a RV park or such and used as a sleeping unit.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Ride4321 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 am

crttaz wrote:Rick, what is your TV/Van?

Rookie myself I'm looking for a TV/miniVan to sleep in (Honda Oddity winning so far) while towing a trailer that can haul transmissions and such, but can also be dropped off in a RV park or such and used as a sleeping unit.

I'm using a Sienna.
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs