Another 7x17 CT build F150 2.7 Eco TV

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another 7x17 CT build F150 2.7 Eco TV

Postby billbob412 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 pm

hankaye wrote:billbob412, Howdy;

Mostly the width is dependent on where you expect to end up.
Me I head to the Gila Wilderness and find my self on skinny Forest
Service Roads so I have a 6 foot wide CT. It is also closer to the
width of the tow vehicle, less drag ='s better fuel mileage. It also
fit parking slots better. The above is only my thoughts and opinion,
YMMV.

hank

Point taken, my tv is 7ft wide with my FourWheel camper on it so width isn't an issue for me. I use mine as a toy hauler so I need the extra width :) .
billbob412
Teardrop Builder

Postby NotJammer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:47 pm

I NOW SEE! The rationale for a 6' wide, shorter and not as long with a single axle. Took me some towing time...

Do I sell what I have now at a loss of course? I could do that. Don't everybody stand up now.

My excuse is, I was thinking AirStream and not having the budget for it. I was also in and out of hospitals before during and after. Now 4 months of good health. Thank you very much.

Let's talk furnaces. At one time I had and was going to install a Propex HS2000 in a I970 Bus Westfalia. http://www.propexheatsource.com/vw-bus- ... y-heaters/ They might be good for a TD.

It's a good heater and installs anywhere but very expensive so,

What do you guys suggest? Atwood or Suburban? What size and why? 7X17 not heavily insulated.

It's cold here and I think I need a camper furnace now...
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Propex HS2211, mounted outside, sound suppressing box
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Do you use one?

I noticed those. Not cheap and I bet parts are a problem. I looked up dealers, few and far.

Tell us more? Please.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 pm

The Westy guy would be your best bet for Propex.

Webasto or Espar even better, run off the same fuel as your engine.

These are all super efficient and mount outside the living space.

Yes expensive, service a challenge but can order parts.

Otherwise smallest Buddy and crack tge window, never while sleeping.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:29 pm

I know the Westy guy, bought my last one from him. Sold it and the tank on Samba some years ago. Never used.

I have a small Buddy for my leaky shed while working. I won't use it in a sealed box. I once woke up with a dead man camped next to me. It was the early 70's, he used a Coleman Catalytic in his van. His kid and dog got out. The father was dead as dead gets. Even the Police came.

My question is. A Propex 2800 is 6500 btu and the smallest Atwood is 12,000 btu.

I am pretty sure the Atwood will heat my box. Will 6500 btu heat a 7X7 X17 trailer?

In the 80's my work truck had a 24,000 btu Suburban. It heated that 8X8X16 aluminum box truck full of cold steel, very well.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:31 pm

NotJammer, Howdy;

This is one I see in alot of the pick-up slide-in campers and pop-ups as well.
Also what I'm fixin' to get for my 6X14X6.5 Should roast me out if I'm not careful.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/fur ... 201.08.pdf
I plan on beating up the RV lots for stuff they have salvaged and save a few $'s as
new they run about $600.00.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Hank,

Read my mind I have been looking at that spec sheet for hours. And hiking all over the net, truck stops, Bus conversions...

Atwood seems to be better than Suburban, more metal in them some claim, squirrel cage fan which is quieter and slightly smaller. Cost 25% more than Suburban.

The trouble is finding the 12K BTU model that draws 1.8 amp. Specs are hard to find from sellers. Actually impossible.

Or just give up and get the 16K that draws 3.4 amp and moves more air and heat. Both the same price.

Also found that RV dealers and Airstream say 1K BTU per ft of RV, so maybe 16K is what I want. I like heat.

All this excludes the Propex as its only 6.5K BTU. Good for a TD or VW Bus.

And yes Amazon has the Atwood 16K for just under $600 delivered. So it goes.

If I have made poor conclusions, please advise!

My first trip in June will be Upper Peninsula Michigan. It gets cold there, especially near water. Copper Harbor can be Hell. It was 60 years ago. I didn't forget.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby low277 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:57 pm

I had a pop up pickup camper with a Atwood Hydro flame 12k btu unit. It worked good, thermostat control, electronic ignition it was a little noisy in such a small space but it was used when I got it.

You could look at what the ice fisherman are putting in there pull type fish houses, they use these as well as others.

I have been around the Webasto units at work, they work really well, kind of spendy and we use them in full size semi truck trailers, 48 - 53 feet long. Some trailers use 2 units but the field test guys think they are great.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:35 pm

There are so many variables, temp differential being the biggest.

#2 is insulation, for me personally I would add insulation until the Propex kept me toasty parked in a snowdrift.

They (and the Webasto/Espars) are **so** much more energy efficient.

But I would get one can be mounted outside, minimize the noise, maximize safety.

I also lost a close family friend to CO poisoning camping.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:25 am

Good advice. Thank you!

Last night I ordered an Atwood 16K input 12K output for serviceability and easy parts availability. Propex dealers are short on the ground and parts may be worse. IDK. I looked at all the sellers and Canada. My CT is big enough to handle the Atwood if I was in a TD or Westy I would have gone Propex.

Last year I considered Diesel Cargo Vans and Webasto would have been the obvious choice, especially as some vans have easy to access fuel tap.

One day I would like to add a small wood burner. Like this. https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/ Twigs are everywhere I go.

This rig will be one piece at a time. And it all must be removable in a day's work. That means 4 hours to me.

John61CT wrote:There are so many variables, temp differential being the biggest.

#2 is insulation, for me personally I would add insulation until the Propex kept me toasty parked in a snowdrift.

They (and the Webasto/Espars) are **so** much more energy efficient.

But I would get one can be mounted outside, minimize the noise, maximize safety.

I also lost a close family friend to CO poisoning camping.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby NotJammer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Well, stuff is piling up. Got the Atwood furnace. Looks fine. Also Atwood 2 burner cooktop and the roof vent conversion fan.

I am now thinking I will install the furnace, fridge, cooktop, sink in the V permanently. Yet keep the bike tie-downs and cargo area open with folding bed and workbench.

Then check tongue weight and decide how much propane to carry. Decide on 2-battery positions.

I need water tanks under the bed/bench over the axels.

Plywood 2x's and insulation will be bought by February.

Tools! I am a tool nut as a retired mechanic, so I need to position that heavy box too. The plot thickens.

I am looking for weight as this trailer rides better with 2000 lbs in it.

Southern Illinois may hit 60 next week. 4 days ago it was -4 which is cold for here.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby NotJammer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:43 pm

I want to install an air filter on the Atwood. Seems like a good idea as without one all dust, hair and small pets will get sucked right through it. All electronics and wiring are in the cooling inlet breeze... Normal...

The Atwood 16K requires 16 sq in free air intake. I'll go much bigger to eliminate any restriction. An 8 X 12" filter seems ideal but only as $$$ custom. !2 X 12" is off the shelf. I'm working on the V-Nose cabinet drawing which will have nearly everything propane in it. Not unlike a TD in space utilization.

Reading about 'REAL' RV's and their stupid factory installs makes me very glad I did not buy an RV.

I have reconsidered a toilet with a black tank. But it won't get installed until next season. I have room in the rear. (LOL) I can hang a 16X8 X 60" tank under the floor at the ramp door. The sailboat type toilets look good to me.

Since it's cold here and everywhere my CT is plugged into 20 amps right out my back door, I am starting to play house. Checking heat rise from 32F with a 750/1350watt electric heater.
Not bad. 1.5 hours it stabilizes at 60 F and cycles slowly. Very cloudy damp day. I am sure I can make it to 80F. Temp measured 3 ft high in an empty CT. I'm not going to over-insulate with more insulation. I may insulate the floor. Which is always the coldest.

5 months to launch.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby NotJammer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm

A gear progress report, nothing installed yet. Got an Engel https://www.engelcoolers.com/sr70f-u1.html which seems pretty expensive until you look at their cooler types, which cost way more. It came yesterday and let it sit for 24 hours in case it was flipped during shipment. Plugged in and sitting on the floor. Pretty quiet, but I'm half deaf. Slight vibration, not bad and definitely not Magic Fingers.

Got a Kill a Watt checking 120 VAC consumption. On startup, it pulled 44 watts and now on Engel recommended setting 3 of 5 it pulls 36 watts 120 VAC. Can't check 12 VDC yet.

It has auto switch over from shore power 120 VAC to house battery 12 VDC when the shore power is disconnected. BTW Engel is Japanese owned and designed, made in Thailand according to the shipping box. I consider that very good. I trust both countries to do good work. My Honda Scooter is designed in Japan and made in Thailand it's way better than any Mainland China scooter. I also trust ANY product from Taiwan. That said, if I can buy USA, I do. Just bought made in Ripon Wisconsin Speed Queen washer and dryer. Great American machines.

Now that I have the appliances and furnace next payday I'll buy a load of plywood, 2x2, 2X4 and 10 Home Depot Yardsticks. $1 each and the exact size I need to make my removable window covers.

This CTC may be used a Film Darkroom, so I want complete blackout. The 2 windows will get Dark Slides, which are black Coroplast https://www.homedepot.com/p/24-in-x-36- ... /205437929 It weighs nothing and will slide in and out of ruler slats screwed into the wall. I know this will be good enough for well-lit campgrounds, moon, and stars but may not work for full Sun. No big deal I can use the Darkroom at night.

I'm an old-time camera nut and may put a porthole in my CT so the whole thing is a camera obscura. https://www.wired.com/2017/05/ian-kasno ... ox-camera/

Which anybody can do and just sit inside and look the image. That's fun too. Any TD or CTC will work if you can make it very dark inside. You don't even need a lens. Just a small hole! Ask me if interested.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby PigTrail » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

Am following your build and interested to see photos of your furnace installation.

I ordered one of the 16,000 BTU models from Amazon as well, but I got the Suburban. I'll be installing in a few weeks once I get a few other items finished.
Richard

@DualSportDispatch on IG
PigTrail
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions