Dometic fridge size?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Dometic fridge size?

Postby clamlamp » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi just wondering what size dometic fridge do you have for your teardrop and how it's working for you?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Re: Dometic fridge size?

Postby Esteban » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 pm

I haven't bought a Dometic AC/DC fridge/freezer (yet). I'd like to buy either a 1.4 cu. Ft. CFX 40 or a 1.8 cu. Ft. CFX 50. The price difference between a CFX-40US for $585.99 and a CFX-50US for $594.20 is negligible.

I'm leaning toward buying a CFX-50 and designing my galley so the fridge/freezer fits on a pullout drawer.

The physical dimensions (Height, Width, Length) are potential design issues for my galley. A CFX-50 is .4" taller and 2.2" wider than a CFX-40. I'll probably design the galley to fit the larger CFX-50.

Being able to use a fridge/freezer is very desirable. I'll install a 160 watt solar panel on the roof to have plenty of electrical capacity to run the fridge/freezer, LED lights, etc.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:29 pm

I have a CF35. It holds about the same amount of stuff as a 50qt cooler( after the ice is added). It is a perfect size food me. When it’s just the two of us it carries food and drinks for a weekend. Other times, I bring a cooler for drinks until space clears in the fridge, then I move some of the drinks to the fridge as space clears.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 am

The cf model is a fridge and freezer and the cfx is only a fridge, is that correct?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:03 pm

clamlamp wrote:The cf model is a fridge and freezer and the cfx is only a fridge, is that correct?

the CFx is he newer model I think. Mine just has one section

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 pm

We have a Waeco CF50 which is the international version which will do 240 120 and 12V. My wife at first was doubtful but has been converted. It rides in the back of our Subaru which has a dedicated 12V line to the battery. I did one modification making a Reflectix outer jacket to reflect sun.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 am

Socal Tom wrote:
clamlamp wrote:The cf model is a fridge and freezer and the cfx is only a fridge, is that correct?

So can your model turn freeze food or just keep food cool?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:15 pm

clamlamp wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:

So can your model turn freeze food or just keep food cool?

it can freeze food if I set it to freezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby nemoskull » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:50 pm

i have a dorm fridge that i converted to an ice chest style. draws about 1.4 amp/hr. still working out the kinks. not sure how long it will last. motor running at double the watts, but runs less than half the time pre conversion.
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:38 am

Our Haier 3.2 cu ft dorm fridge has been in use for years. Used to be my daughter's actual dorm fridge when she was in college. We run it from a cheap, 1200 watt modified sine wave inverter tied to a Rural King (Exide) farm equipment battery (80amp rating). Battery can be charged by either the tow vehicle or through the 150 watts of solar. If shore power is available, we shift it to that. We monitor the temps with one of those wireless thermometers for a house, which allows us to monitor the inside temp from the car. We try to do the initial cool down with house power, then when traveling we shift to inverter and we keep the temp around 28. We have pushed it down to 16.

It runs on average about 20-25% of the time. The one battery can run it all night. During the day, the panels can both run the fridge and recharge the battery.

Only thing I wish I had done different is to have built my cabinets in a slightly different configuration and that way I could have rotated the fridge and compressor setup to make it top loading. This would make it much more efficient. Oh, and we use a PC fan to cool the case of the fridge, as that is where they put the heat exchanger.

Somewhere on this site I have a detailed test run we did over several days, in the summer, to check temps and wattage. I'll try to find it.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:43 pm

daveesl77 wrote:Our Haier 3.2 cu ft dorm fridge has been in use for years. Used to be my daughter's actual dorm fridge when she was in college. We run it from a cheap, 1200 watt modified sine wave inverter tied to a Rural King (Exide) farm equipment battery (80amp rating). Battery can be charged by either the tow vehicle or through the 150 watts of solar. If shore power is available, we shift it to that. We monitor the temps with one of those wireless thermometers for a house, which allows us to monitor the inside temp from the car. We try to do the initial cool down with house power, then when traveling we shift to inverter and we keep the temp around 28. We have pushed it down to 16.

It runs on average about 20-25% of the time. The one battery can run it all night. During the day, the panels can both run the fridge and recharge the battery.

Only thing I wish I had done different is to have built my cabinets in a slightly different configuration and that way I could have rotated the fridge and compressor setup to make it top loading. This would make it much more efficient. Oh, and we use a PC fan to cool the case of the fridge, as that is where they put the heat exchanger.

Somewhere on this site I have a detailed test run we did over several days, in the summer, to check temps and wattage. I'll try to find it.

dave
Do you have any pictures?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Here is an interior shot of when we were first building the camper. The fridge is to to bottom left, the ducting is in the center, running from bottom to top. The bottom right area now holds all of the electrical controls - MPPT, battery charger, battery disconnect switch, inverter front panel, two volt meters (one for full system, one for solar) and the 12v fuse panel and 120v shore panel. I thought I had a pic of the full system, but I'll shoot one tomorrow when the sun is better.

Here is the new electrical panel. Dry fitting before I install it. Two toggle switches control the battery charger/solar control to battery system. 8 amp automatic battery charger. Center top is battery disconnect linked to 1200 w inverter (right). Power indicators are 1) full use in camper and 2) is charge/discharge rate on solar. 12v and 120v panels came from a salvaged RV charger I picked up for $10. Dumped the heavy, hot charger circuit and just kept the fuses and breakers.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Esteban wrote:I haven't bought a Dometic AC/DC fridge/freezer (yet). I'd like to buy either a 1.4 cu. Ft. CFX 40 or a 1.8 cu. Ft. CFX 50. The price difference between a CFX-40US for $585.99 and a CFX-50US for $594.20 is negligible.

I'm leaning toward buying a CFX-50 and designing my galley so the fridge/freezer fits on a pullout drawer.

The physical dimensions (Height, Width, Length) are potential design issues for my galley. A CFX-50 is .4" taller and 2.2" wider than a CFX-40. I'll probably design the galley to fit the larger CFX-50.

Being able to use a fridge/freezer is very desirable. I'll install a 160 watt solar panel on the roof to have plenty of electrical capacity to run the fridge/freezer, LED lights, etc.
I pulled the trigger on a cfx50 for $577 on Amazon with free shipping and no tax. Was watching the price flux for a week... I'm hoping i wont regret giving up cabin space for a fridge. And you are right, the price is negligible from a cfx40.

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Does anyone know how much space is needed for ventilation around a Dometic fridge?
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby big44g » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 pm

clamlamp wrote:Does anyone know how much space is needed for ventilation around a Dometic fridge?

I have a cfx50, Not much is required just don’t block the vents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Gary Fulton
Baton Rouge, LA
My Build Pictures: https://bigg.smugmug.com/Teardrop/
My Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64524&p=1147662#p1147662
big44g
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to General Discussion