Shou Sugi Ban

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Shou Sugi Ban

Postby DWT77 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 am

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever used the Japanese technique Shou Sugi Ban on a teardrop either interior or exterior? The burning of the wood and oil is supposed to make a good water barrier.

From my research it looks like you can use many different types of wood. I plan on doing an interior wall in my house using the technique. I though it might make an interesting looking teardrop.

Here are a few examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPhyfP-qMM4&t=23s

DWT77
The 300 Club

Re: Shou Sugi Ban

Postby Greg M » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm

I’ve seen it cropping up more and more in architecture lately. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as trailer siding.
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby DWT77 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Greg M wrote:I’ve seen it cropping up more and more in architecture lately. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as trailer siding.

I have noticed it in some furniture as well
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Tom Horn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I was in Home Depot the other day and noticed they had some lumber already done like this ready to go. I was wondering how well it would work on a camper.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Many of our trailers are made from plywood, which is sheet-thin layers of wood glued together. I wouldn't attempt it on that; however, it could work on something like tongue and groove boards used as the back wall divider between the galley and interior bed area and would probably be a very attractive feature! You might also use some as trim on cabinets or as a counter top, protected with a few layers of Polyurethane. We'll be watching to see what you do! :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion