Mr. Heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mr. Heater

Postby bsandey » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:16 am

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this heater, or any comments on it. I haven't started my build yet (just ordered the trailer on Thursday), but one item I want inside is some type of heat source for those chilly nights in spring and fall, and maybe some winter camping in MN.

Model MH9B - Portable Buddy Propane Heater

Bill
Bill ("Mutt")

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

bsandey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:23 am

Bill,

Check out this thread...

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Deaths Associated with Camping

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 7417#57417

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bsandey » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:25 am

mikeschn wrote:Bill,

Check out this thread...

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Deaths Associated with Camping

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 7417#57417

Mike...

I read through that topic, and everything they talk about causing the deaths were not indoor items (camp stoves, charcoal grills, etc). This particular heater (Mr. Heater) is designed for indoor use. This is the main reason I am looking at this one. From the instruction manual :

This heater can only be used in a recreational or
commercial enclosure with a window or roof vent. This
heater is not for outdoor use.

I don't plan on sleeping with it on, but using it to remove the chill when I wake up. I like sleeping in cooler temps, and have been known to crack open a window in my bedroom in the middle of winter (in MN). Besides, I also would only be running it on the 1 lb propane cylinders, and it only lasts 3-6 hours on one of those.

Bill
Bill ("Mutt")

bsandey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:42 am

A WARNING..never sleep inna tear without adequate ventilation, even in the summer and NEVER EVER with a flame based heat source(without adequate ventilation).....
..many here like the Survival Cat on this page
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dennis T » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:59 am

I got one just like it. We use it in our side room in the morning to get the chill and dampness out and dress in a warm area. I put it on a metal folding table because of the heat that comes off of it to the floor area in front and well I don't want to start a fire or burn out my floor. It take about 10-15 minutes to get the temp to where we like and then off it goes. As far as using it inside the Little Guy, that's a big NO for us. Our body heat does just fine for that. Common sense and watching it carefully should be the order of the day when using Mr Heater and no kids or clumsy people should be around it. I gets very hot.
My two cents and I am not recomending to use this product.
Dennis T
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:59 am

The manufacturer will say almost anything to sell their product.

They cover themselves in the fine print of the instruction manual. It does emit carbon monoxide, and it would be very easy to fill the inside of a teardrop with carbon monoxide very quickly...

There are other options that are a whole lot safer.

Electric blankets
Forced air furnaces
12 v electric heaters
12 v mattress warmers
and we even had a member who was designing a version of a wood burning stove, that was heated with a candle. Naturally, it took its air from the outside, and exhausted to the outside.

You do what ever you want; we are just trying to keep you out of the obituaries.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:31 am

***News Flash***

Government reports indicate the safest way to heat a teardrop is with your sweetie!!!!!

:lol: :ok: :rofl2: :Smile: :laughing1: :bounce: :beautiful: :beautiful: :beautiful:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby emiller » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:31 am

:thumbsup:
I have one and when really cold I put it the tear just to get the chill out once your in the tear your body heat will keep yoy warm. I think they also said you can't use it at 7000 ft level because it does have a oxegon sensor although I've used it at 9000 ft in the white mountains here in Arizona. You should always have ventilation in a tear, A couple that camps with us they have a 1955 Benroy once woke up gasping for air because they had thr windows closed and now always crack a window.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:34 am

Okay, ya got me beat! Mine doesn't have an oxygen sensor! :roll:

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby bsandey » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:59 am

TTs and PUPs have propane stoves inside used for cooking. Would this not be the same? As I said, I would not use the heater while sleeping, but to warm up in the morning. I'm not trying to be defensive about the issue, just looking for information.

I have looked at the forced air furnaces (Atwood), but would like an alternative if possible. It not a question of how well they work (I have one in my PUP that works great), but more an issue with the size. I do know I could fit one in the TD, but it would take up some of the already limited storage space.

When on AC, there's no problem. I'll take a small ceramic heater to use. But if dry camping, I would like something that draws a small amount of current off the battery, or none at all if possible. The 12 VDC blankets and cermanic heaters I've seen look like they draw a lot off the battery, and are more designed for use in a car while it is running.

Bill
Bill ("Mutt")

bsandey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Craig McCormick » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:01 am

We use one in our larger TT's. When in use we always have two windows slightly open and the roof vent cracked open a bit. It will easily warm up a 17' TT. I would think it would cook you out of a TD unless you use it as Eddie does.

AZCRAIG
Craig McCormick
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:09 am

Bill as long as you are aware of the dangers and take appropriate action it is no big deal...if ya wannna...I think a better choice may be one of the small Colemans, 'cause you just don't need that many BTU's...and it may be easier to mount...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:12 am

I wonder if it's possible to build an aluminum box that protudes into the teardrop, which is open to the outside.

Then set a black cat or other propane heater in the box, heating the aluminum. It would get it's cold air from outside, and also vent from outside.

Seems to me that would be pretty safe. Your thoughts guys?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:46 am

I agree with that. Basically that's all an Atwood's heater is about. Carbon Manoxide poisoning can be hazardess to one's health. :lol:

Chris C

Postby Ira » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:17 pm

It's July 8th--why the heck are we talking about this now?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to General Discussion