What makes a teardrop offroad capable?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What makes a teardrop offroad capable?

Postby mkitchen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Todd
Boy howdy, I think you opened a can of worms with your thread. But hey, it's winter and many are indoors more than we want so, let's go for it. A brief history on my part is that my family and I mountain biked for a lot of years (both racing and pleasure) and we camped through all that time and developed our camp style through that time. Once the kids grew up and moved out, Mo and I got to follow our dream in more depth and I built up a Toyota Tacoma for long distance travel and finally bought a AT Horizon trailer to go behind it. That set up worked fine for all our needs and we did travel with it quite a bit. Two and three week trips while I worked and then longer trips after retirement. Our longest was a couple of months mostly spent in the northwest and Canada.

We no longer do that style of travel. For one thing, we have gotten into dual sport bikes and like riding more than four wheeling now and I have found that we much prefer basing somewhere and riding the area extensively for a couple of weeks. There was no way I could carry two bikes in either the trailer or the Tacoma. So one day while riding through Skull Valley we saw a tent trailer with a deck on the front that can carry both bikes. On our first trip with the new trailer (bikes loaded) it was a bit more than the Tacoma liked so we then had to upgrade to a Tundra 4X4.

So now I have less money and a good set up for us. Where the Tacoma (which I heavily modified for back country travel) and the Horizon would go most anywhere, we now have a Baja off road tent trailer and Tundra. Neither hold a candle to the earlier set up but we love it. We have so far camped around Moab, Colorado, Arizona and use to Tundra and the bikes to go explore. When we get tired of an area, we go elsewhere but we are not rolling up camp every day or two as we used to do. Our current set up will get us down most any forest road and some of the better BLM roads without problem. We make camp when we see a secluded spot as we are still self contained and that is our base. This year we plan to spend at least a couple of weeks on the North Rim and then more time in areas of Colorado and then north. Since you obviously enjoy bikes, you may enjoy this type of travel over the more Overland Expo style that most people follow or as you have already noticed, profess to follow.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion