Hello from California!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from California!

Postby Mountainhwy4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've loved the look and simplicity of teardrops ever since I first saw one a year and a half ago. I'm getting ready to start my first build, and was thinking of buying the NT 5x8 trailer for a base. Should I go with the steel or the aluminum frame? The aluminum one is close to 100 lbs lighter (more weight that can be put into the trailer or lighter trailer), but I'm worried about any compromises on durability with using the aluminum. They both come out to be the same price so I'm just concerned about any pros and cons between the two.
I've already seen people post about upgrading the wheels, I believe I'll upgrade to some 14" or 15" tires and possibly the axle if needed. I already have a design for my first build that I did in Solidworks, hopefully I can get some photos of it if I get a copy of solidworks installed on my new computer.

Cheers!
[color=#FF0000]"Hear me baby hold together."[/color]
Not that I've ever actually thought that on a trip.... /s
Mountainhwy4
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from California!

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Welcome. Glad you came out of the shadows.

Im building on the steel NT and sometimes think i should have gone with aluminum but near $200 more when i was buying. Both seem god gor a first td.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Hello from California!

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Welcome and best of luck to you from the CA Central Coast.

A few years ago I bought a NT 5' x 8' steel trailer that I use as a utility trailer. The 8' long one piece side rails help make it nice and sturdy. I paid $399.99 on sale including shipping with a RetailMeNot.com discount coupon I found on the internet.

If you are seriously considering buying a NT trailer, bigger tires and wheels, plus a different axle (and other possible upgrades like customizing the tongue) your total cost may be close to what a custom made trailer would cost you. I suggest getting estimates from local welders for a trailer custom built to your specifications.

southwestwheel.com sells Flexiride torsion axles that you may use for the NT or a custom trailer.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves