Beginner looking for advise

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Beginner looking for advise

Postby firemansd19 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm

lawdog49 wrote:Hey, nice build so far. What part of LA ya in? I do have a question, how's the weight balance with the longer tongue and it's rack with gear - plus the cabinetry/etc on the tongue end?

I’m in west central LA. There was no exact science goin into the front of my trailer as far as weight.

For starters the longer tongue really doesn’t seem to make much of a difference in pulling. The rack on the tongue is for my generator. I haven’t actually hauled it yet. My first camping trip we used 12v and propane only.

The cabinets are very light weight. I moved the cabinets by myself. As far as loading them, we only haul the necessary stuff. This weekend was the most it has hauled in a “camper” mode. I had stuff stored under the bed as well as the cabinets. I pulled it about 2 hours, 1 way, 4 hours round trip and had absolutely no issues. I was able to pull it highway speeds(65) like it wasn’t even there.

Earlier in the summer we pulled it to Arkansas in a dive trip. It was loaded with about 30 scuba tanks and 9 sets of gear and it pulled like a dream.

So I guess to completely and truthfully answer your tongue weight question. I don’t really know!!!!! Lol Maybe this summer I will be able to give a educated answer on how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lawdog49 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:40 am

Thanks! Trying to decide between a 6' or 7' wide to tow behind my 05 2500 Suburban. Got plenty of towing ability with the 8.1, but trying to keep the wind drag to a minimum both width and height wise so it pulls super easy and somewhat economically.

I used to live in Natchitoches, recently moved my mom from Bossier. Just wondering what part you were in. Had a buddy from Shreveport that I went to NFA in Maryland with a year or so ago.
lawdog49
Teardrop Inspector

Postby firemansd19 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm

lawdog49 wrote:Thanks! Trying to decide between a 6' or 7' wide to tow behind my 05 2500 Suburban. Got plenty of towing ability with the 8.1, but trying to keep the wind drag to a minimum both width and height wise so it pulls super easy and somewhat economically.

I used to live in Natchitoches, recently moved my mom from Bossier. Just wondering what part you were in. Had a buddy from Shreveport that I went to NFA in Maryland with a year or so ago.

Man I pull mine from point A to point B. I’m building this so when I get there we are comfortable. With my TV I get about 10mpg, doesn’t matter what I’m pulling. I don’t really pull this to far so it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sodatrain » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:10 pm

got Cargo Craft from http://trailershowroom.com. What I liked about them was the ability to go through and select individual options for pretty much every aspect of the build. And they have 4 factories, so you can save a little by picking it up there if you're close. Prices do vary by factory. I'm not handy and don't care to spend a lot of time on the basics of the build, so I opted to have them install the windows and insulate the walls/ceiling.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a trailer from them! I to have LOVED the ability to see all the options and the prices etc. The website is not user-friendly but it is full of information!

I've been working with Chris in Sales. He's been very helpful and patient with my 3700 questions. I'll drive to Indiana from MN to get it from them at this point! The handful of other trailer places I've stopped at around here are just not as helpful nor as full of information.

I recently changed from planning on a 7x12 single to a 7x14 dual for improved resale potential.... I was told that both a 12' and a 14' can hold two motorcycles but the 14' just has the extra space and is a popular size for people wanting to haul a pair of bikes. For the same reason I switched from barn doors to the ramp - even tho I'd prefer the barn doors.

I'm about to order a white / light gray trailer to help be a little stealthier and hopefully cooler in the summer!

Re insulation - thought about having them do it and ultimately decided to do it myself. I didn't have a lot of confidence that it would be well done nor would it be enough for what I want. I'll be super curious to see how you feel about it when you get it!

I'm having them put in a 3'x4' concession door for extra light and views! Hopefully stealthier than a huge window.
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Finally getting started on my plumbing. I ordered a water pump off Amazon a few weeks ago. I don’t think it is gonna do what I want but it’s a starter. Its a 1.3gpm @ 100psi w/ 3/8” inlet and discharge. I want to be able to hook a water hose to the outside and spray off my scuba gear when we get ready to pack up.

I have spent the last 4-5 hours building what little bit of pipe u can see. I’m short one valve and the 3/4” water hose adapter for my fill line so it has me held up.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Today was a complete flop!!!!!! I got my water tank hooked up and started filling. Keep in mine this is a tank from a donor camper. Well it leaks........ the welded areas around the threads are dry rotted and the water seeps through. So cut all the nw plumbing and yanked it out. Now for Plan B, when I figure out what that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm

I bought the 30 gal from these guys. They seem to have a good selection and decent prices.

http://stores.ebay.com/classacustoms/
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pm

You may be able to find the type of fitting that goes through the tank and sandwiches the tank between rubber washers if the tank is otherwise sound. Or the proper type of cement may be able to mend that area. Just ideas

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby firemansd19 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm

So my trailer has a little different use from anybody I have seen on here. The summer time use for it will be to store and haul all my dive gear and anything we may need for a trip. The one thing we needed most was the capability to haul more breathing air to some places we go. So I came up with an idea. I am building a portable cascade to be transported wherever we end up.

Beginning of my rack.

Starter for my regulator and fill control.

Rack was sandblasted and a fresh coat of paint. I also pulled up the floor Etrac and have it a fresh coat of paint. I installed a run of Etrac around the walls about 19” off the floor to allow me to strap all of our scuba tanks down.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Been a little busy over the past few weeks. This little bundle of joy entered the world and has had Momma and Daddy on our toes.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Since we have gotta baby girl settled in and Momma trying to get back to normal. I have had a little bit of time to tinker with my CTC.

ImageImage

I finished up installing all my Etrac on the walls after a fresh coat of paint.

Today I had to go to plan B on my water tank. The first kinda sprung a leak so I acquired a smaller tank that was in better shape.

I will get a new spray nozzle tomorrow and hope that will fix my pressure issue @ the water hose. I will also be getting the sink faucet put in within the next few days.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:05 pm

She is beautiful. Congratulations Fireman. Give my best to momma.
McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:42 am

firemansd19, Howdy;

Beautiful bundle of joy, all done up in her Easter best. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:46 am

hankaye wrote:firemansd19, Howdy;

Beautiful bundle of joy, all done up in her Easter best. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !

hank

Actually this is our Rainbow baby. She is kind of our miracle. We had 2 miscarriages before her.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 am

Beautiful baby girl. Congratulations! My guess is she already has you "wrapped around her finger". :-) I am glad to hear all is well.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions