Amazing what insulating those doors can do! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
JoyceB
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:40 pm

JoyceB wrote:Amazing what insulating those doors can do! Lol

I've actually added some hooks at the top of the doors to hang my jacket. ;-)
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby JoyceB » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Lol love it! Let's also not forget the fan ... must must cover that up also with the freezing temp .... brrr ... yup another reason why I love my teardrop ... cozy warm and comfy

JoyceB
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JoyceB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Socal Tom wrote:
JoyceB wrote:Amazing what insulating those doors can do! Lol

I've actually added some hooks at the top of the doors to hang my jacket. ;-)
Tom
;-)

JoyceB
Teardrop Advisor

Postby godskid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 pm

I have an un-insulated fiberglass shell (Little Guy's myPod 5x8). I slept at a highway restaurant rest stop in Ohio on 12/28/17, where the outside temp was about 8F, perhaps lower overnight.

I had a slightly more powerful (20 years old) ceramic space heater in there, set so that it cycled on and off. I piled my winter coat against the door, and had a thin quilt covering most of the window for privacy. The ceiling vent was cracked open an inch for CO2, and the came-with-it AC unit provided the rest of the ventilation. (Those things are like an open window, as far as air flow.) I used a down mummy sleeping bag, and a second bag tossed over the foot area.

That 120V heater kept it warm enough in there that I took off a few layers of shirts, while playing on my iPad before bed. There was still snow on the *inside* of the doorsill, 12 hrs later, but I was warm enough.

So -- with 120V and a ceramic heater, you can do pretty well! At 8F you'll want the down bag too, since the edges of the space may still be cold.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 pm

godskid wrote:I have an un-insulated fiberglass shell (Little Guy's myPod 5x8). I slept at a highway restaurant rest stop in Ohio on 12/28/17, where the outside temp was about 8F, perhaps lower overnight.

I had a slightly more powerful (20 years old) ceramic space heater in there, set so that it cycled on and off. I piled my winter coat against the door, and had a thin quilt covering most of the window for privacy. The ceiling vent was cracked open an inch for CO2, and the came-with-it AC unit provided the rest of the ventilation. (Those things are like an open window, as far as air flow.) I used a down mummy sleeping bag, and a second bag tossed over the foot area.

That 120V heater kept it warm enough in there that I took off a few layers of shirts, while playing on my iPad before bed. There was still snow on the *inside* of the doorsill, 12 hrs later, but I was warm enough.

So -- with 120V and a ceramic heater, you can do pretty well! At 8F you'll want the down bag too, since the edges of the space may still be cold.

My record without access to 115v was 17F. There were 3 sub 20F nights. The first one was in a Walmart parking lot. I could feel the chill coming off the plywood walls, so I bought a couple of small fleece blankets which I hung on the walls the next night. I also put a hot water bottle in my sleeping bag, but I still got cold. The third night I Pre-heated the interior with a Coleman heater. It was at least 75inside before I went to bed. Slept much better that night. I was able to fall into a deep sleep before the chill got in, so I slept much better. I also learned to fill my coffee pot with water before bed. Then it was much easier to thaw the ice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 pm

It's been years since we've camped near 120 volts.

We preheat our bed with a 12V electric blanket. Once under the covers, we're toasty. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby honeask » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 pm

We went camping at Thanksgiving on Lake Bastrop and the temperatures dipped into the low 30's. Not ideal temps for us but.... We used a small heater plugged in to power and it warmed up our teardrop that has very good insulation to begin with. The heater was on no more than 20 minutes as it got too hot. My wish list is something that one of the guys used camping when we went to Lake Bisteneau Louisiana was a heated pad that you laid on. He said it kept him plenty warm. Something to think about. I would have already gotten one but we are thinking of upsizing to something with indoor plumbing.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby michaeln » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:40 am

MADTRAPPER wrote:Yea u can't control the heat either it's on or off. Find a good women!

You can't control those either. Trust me on this.
michaeln
Teardrop Inspector

Postby razorback » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:05 am

I have posted my answer several times over the last 10 years. If you have electricity this is what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Econo-Heat-0603- ... B005DKN20W
The unit in the link is 24 X 24 flat panel 400 watt. I purchased an 18 X 24 250 watt unit 10 yrs ago. It is a very soft radiant heat. does not combust. At my wife's feet on the wall dividing the cabin/galley. on My side is a plug in thermostat. The panel plugs into the thermostat. We usually set the temp at 68 to 70. Heats all areas of the cabin without any hot spots. It is such a great solution.
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 am

We just completed a trip to Disney World and the first camp site was a KOA in Clinton Tennessee with temps down to 16. We used a marine electric heater which kept us warm. The fans were run (with vent closed) to keep the heat from all stratifying. We ended up with ice on the windows but stayed warm.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm

We have a Broan milk house heater for when we have shore power:
Broan-NuTone 6201
Its more expensive than the Walmart elcrappo models but we've had it since 2011 and still looks and works like looks brand new. Our Walmart model only lasted a season before it shorted out.

For boondocking we have an Espar heater:
Espar Heater

Very happy with both heaters. As Shadow Catcher mentioned; make sure and have a fan that circulates the air from the top of the trailer to the floor. Heat stratification is wicked bad if you don't, leading to burning ears and freezing feet.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm

I am looking at a lower cost version of a diesel Espar heater. At $220 for a 2000 KW it would be temperature controlled, affordable and safe(fully vented). Amy thoughts? As I see it there is two down sides It uses battery power and for some the use of diesel may be a turn off. For me the use of diesel would be a plus as you can pick it up when you get gas and you can see how much fuel you have. Propane is a guess as to when you will run out. Any thought on this for heating a teardrop?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2KW-Car-diesel ... 2604989587
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Crazy cheap, suspiciously so.

I consider Planar an Espar knockoff, maybe this is a chinese knockoff of the knockoff.

But eBay + PayPal + CC protection, maybe NP, but get it tested ASAP.

If you get it and it tests fine, get a second for parts down the road.

And report back here
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:23 pm

I just ordered the diesel park heater. Should get it in about 10 days. And I will do a follow up when installed. Now to figure out were to mount it. I was thinking the top of the gallery side of the gallery wall with a outside vent in the galley. The hot air would be vented and blowing in to the cabin. With the stale moist air vented out the windows or roof vent. Or would it be better to install in the cabin? Any thoughts?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion