American Teardrop - why you should AVOID this manufacturer

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: American Teardrop - why you should AVOID this manufactur

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm

That is the most cobbled together mess I have ever seen. I can't even tell what the thought process was. Any chance that we could get a picture of the galley hatch open and see what the inside looks like? My guess is the water is running around the hinge on the ens and going it. When it leaks, is the water always in the corner by the sidewall or in the middle on the counter? If you guys give us some more info we may be able to help you fix the problem for good. It sort of looks like they tried to use a flush Hurricane hinge where an offset should have been used.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby michaeln » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:16 pm

The water seems mostly on the counter, but it seems to run down the galley vertical surfaces to get there.

Here are a couple more pics.

michaeln
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't see anything this guy did that is right. First thing to try is replace the gasket he used. I don't believe it will keep water from penetrating. You need closed cell gasket material. http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/Doo ... Seals.html

This is a cheap thing to try. To be honest, I would tear the whole mess apart and start over. It does not even look like the Hurricane hinge is screwed down well. Where are you located ?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby michaeln » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Yep, the closer I look, the sorrier I get that I bought this thing.
michaeln
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:35 pm

I feel bad for you. But by bringing this to the attention of the teardrop community you might save someone else the problem you have. I asked where you were located to offer some help in fixing the problem. But you could not be further away from me. Maybe a builder in your area will see this and offer some help. Of you could take a very long road trip to Illinois. :thinking:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jsnbergman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I feel bad for you. But by bringing this to the attention of the teardrop community you might save someone else the problem you have. I asked where you were located to offer some help in fixing the problem. But you could not be further away from me. Maybe a builder in your area will see this and offer some help. Of you could take a very long road trip to Illinois. :thinking:

Or another option is a couple tickets from Ohare to California where it isnt -10 when I wake up. Travel, food and lodging could cover our fees. Ill even let you have the window seat woodbutcher.
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:34 pm

jsnbergman wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:I feel bad for you. But by bringing this to the attention of the teardrop community you might save someone else the problem you have. I asked where you were located to offer some help in fixing the problem. But you could not be further away from me. Maybe a builder in your area will see this and offer some help. Of you could take a very long road trip to Illinois. :thinking:

Or another option is a couple tickets from Ohare to California where it isnt -10 when I wake up. Travel, food and lodging could cover our fees. Ill even let you have the window seat woodbutcher.

I think the cold got to you. The cost of all that could be more then the trailer.....but I like the way you think! :thumbsup:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby michaeln » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 am

Well, turns out this thing DOES leak in the rain. It sat out in a recent two day rainstorm, all locked up. When I opened it, there was water on the stainless counter and I could see where it dribbled down in the middle area of the hatch, over the LED light, down the front of the DC powersupply. I am not inclined to pursue it with the mfg as they have shown their disdain for customer service by ignoring my report.
'
I am going to try putting a run of 4" x 5' FlexTape over the mess. Dunno if it will work, but it's cheap and easy.
michaeln
Teardrop Inspector

Postby frosty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 am

just a novice question ...

why aren't people using a hurricane hinge ??? :roll:
frosty
Teardrop Builder

Postby gudmund » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:52 pm

suggestion, this is not a fix, but when storing the trailer, put a car cover over the trailer. I use a small one for my 4 x 8 when it is stored (I have no garage to store mine in) with a small trailer heater inside it and a couple chemical moister removing tubs in it. I also leave the top vent open part way on top for some air circulation. I also have a radio inside/outside temperature gauge w/humidity so I can keep tabs on it while it is stored. Right now this minute, I look up from my desk and see 56 degrees inside it at 55% humidity inside the trailer (it is 43 degrees at 84% humidity outside). Once a week or so I will open it and check the moisture tubs and dump them. The car cover seems to do a fairly decent job in keeping the trailer dry underneath. I got mine for about $30 at Costco, they had 3 different sizes of them in stock when I got mine. (the one I use also fits my parked driver - Suzuki Swift - when I am traveling with the trailer). The heater is a small Davis Brand 500 series heater that uses 70 watts, it is made for small trailers and is left plugged in all of the time while stored. They make 2 different models, a 500 for small trailers and a 1000 model for the large ones.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 pm

frosty wrote:just a novice question ...

why aren't people using a hurricane hinge ??? :roll:

I am and I find they work great. You need to run them about 3/8" outside the walls or they will allow water in.

Tony :thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby michaeln » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:05 pm

I snagged a Classic Accessories teardrop cover on Amazon they had classified as "used" for $55. It fits perfectly, and the only evidence it was used was that the box was kind of torn up and taped. I use it at home when not using the trailer. Tonight will be the first big rainstorm since I got the cover, so I will be able to see if it keeps the rain out. I think it will.

michaeln
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:26 pm

???Angels Camp, Calif.???? is this LA. Calif area?? if so - when you say rain storm and it brings back the memories I have of Boeing Aircraft sending me to La. Jan 80, now being from north of Seattle every one thinks rain, well in my life, there is no rain I have experienced here in the NW that even compares with the rains I lived though there in LA :? - 7 to 8 days of non-stop nite time rain with the streets flooding than the sun comes out, dry's off with more rain later that nite. Than the slides a few days later. Memories>>>>> Looks like you got it for nice cover - when you have no garage, they help immensely for making due when storing the trailer. :thumbsup: Take care and stay dry.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby michaeln » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Angels Camp is pretty far from Los Angeles, like 400 miles. We are southwest of Lake Tahoe, northwest of Yosemite, where CA state highways 4 and 49 intersect.
michaeln
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm

did not find it on the map I had, so I just figured it could be another name used for LA being the Angels ball team is there - sorry :oops:
gudmund
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers