playing with an everstart 750w inverter.

Anything electric, AC or DC

playing with an everstart 750w inverter.

Postby nemoskull » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:33 pm

so i got one after my second hand 1500w inveter died.
so far, it runs my fridge (6.2A 120v starting) but staring is iffy. my battery is a HF 35 amp hr no name brand. the inverter hits LVC when it doesnt start.
second up was my 5000 btu ac. it started no problems, but couldnt restart, again to voltage sag.
third up was a 700 watt microwave. it draw 744-800 running. no dice. LVC again.
later ill pull the battery from my car and report back.
oddly enough, only the ac unit (400 watts running) showed over load, no the microwave.
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Re: playing with an everstart 750w inverter.

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 pm

nemoskull wrote:so i got one after my second hand 1500w inveter died.
so far, it runs my fridge (6.2A 120v starting) but staring is iffy. my battery is a HF 35 amp hr no name brand. the inverter hits LVC when it doesnt start.
second up was my 5000 btu ac. it started no problems, but couldnt restart, again to voltage sag.
oddly enough, only the ac unit (400 watts running) showed over load, no the microwave.

And you are running this off of 120V shore power and not that little battery I assume? :thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nemoskull » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm

tony.latham wrote:

And you are running this off of 120V shore power and not that little battery I assume? :thinking:

T

right now im using the little battery. eventually ill put 3 of these and parallel.
but those are my target appliances, the ac, the fridge and the microwave.
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 pm

nemoskull wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

T

right now im using the little battery. eventually ill put 3 of these and parallel.
but those are my target appliances, the ac, the fridge and the microwave.

This is way over my pay grade... but I think you're being optimistic. I wouldn't think––and again this isn't my area of expertise––but unless you are planning on packing several true deep cycle (not marine) batteries you won't have enough juice. And I mean several. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Like running an 18-wheeler with a 5-gallon can of fuel
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 pm

35Ah would provide about 435 watt hours, if you want the batter to have a reasonable life span you should draw less than 50% of that. A 5000btu air conditioner can run about 1/2 hour before it would run it below 50%, assuming it was at full charge. Most of those small batteries don’t have large enough terminals to support heavy amp draw like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby nemoskull » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am

yeah, i know im pushing it. the ac is not really ment for battery power. the micro wave tho is. im shooting for 5 min every other day. ill be adding lifepo4 batteries in 10 amp incriments as a seperate system. but that will have to come later.

edit: yeah, its like an 18 wheeler on a jerry can...
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby KennethW » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 pm

None of them will be able to run on battery for long periods of time needed. Just the little run time of the microwave will deplete the battery. To run a fridge will require a DC fridge and at least one big solar panel. Maybe two. Ac know way no how. Shore power only for AC.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 pm

nemoskull wrote:ill be adding lifepo4 batteries in 10 amp incriments as a seperate system
how?

better to save your money then install what you need all at once.

For aircon IMO 360AH minimum even then only give you an hour or two, figure $2K if mostly DIY, double that for an integrated system
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nemoskull » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm

John61CT wrote:
nemoskull wrote:ill be adding lifepo4 batteries in 10 amp incriments as a seperate system
how?

better to save your money then install what you need all at once.

For aircon IMO 360AH minimum even then only give you an hour or two, figure $2K if mostly DIY, double that for an integrated system

im looking at dakota lithium 10 amp hr battery. not the best, but the inital cost is managable. if i had 1800 to drop and lithium batteries, i would. there is a local vendor here in yuma az. but i dont, so cost per battery is a big concern.
as for the twin system, im still working on that. a few heavy duty relays to cut one battery bank out and the other in. same with the charging. im building my own chargers.
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 pm

All batts in a bank should be the same age.

You don't want more than 3 parallel strings in one bank or you get balance problems.

With LFP single pack 12V really isn't a good way to go for a large bank, buy the 3.2V high-AH prismatic cells, in your case 180AH 4x at a time.

And look at the pricing **per AH** the ones you're talking about are very expensive compared to much better quality solutions.

And note with LFP systems, the cells themselves are just a fraction of the overall cost.

Make sure you know how to protect and charge them properly, that all your charge sources are adjustable, ideall can turn off Float, many considerations.

As I said, save up your money, do more research in the meantime, then buy what you actually need all at once.

For under $200 a pair of 6V 200+AH Duracell GCs will tide you over for a few years.

But you need triple that to run those sort of loads.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nemoskull » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:05 am

okay update, got a second hf 35 amp battery.
tried the micro wave again. no dice. still not showing overload. think its out, or the wave form of the everstart is just too bad.
update on the ac uint. its a kenmore 5000 btu. still haveing hot restart issues. i can run the ac non stop. but restarting i cant do. on the odd side, the 'low fan' setting consumes 75 watts, the 'high fan' setting consumes 55. go figure. the ac running is pulling 300 watts. next up is a hard star capicotor since its the restaring thats a problem. that should help. also, im going to convert this to use 12v fan, elilminated the that 55 watts the fan uses. most of the noise is the fan anyways.
id like to use twin inverters anyways. one for the refridgerator, one for everything else. not really needed, just more of a back up. im planning to spend the whole summer in this, so figure april to october or so. ill be starting off with 200 watts solar, and maybe 400 if i can fit it on the trailer. ill be getting less that that, due to the angles, but it should flatten out the 'sun curve' , ill get less amps all at once, for trading if for a but more in the morning and afternoon assuming i park east to west. still working on an additional 100 watts on a sun tracker i can set up.

one thing a life time of camping has taught me, 1 i hate generators. 2, i need power. always rununing out of power and haveing to use the car.
ill probably end up getting a HF 800 watt generator and a ton of 15v 90 watt laptop power supplies to feed into the solar controller when the sun is not out.
im giving up on building one, for now anyways. with out any way to check SOC, i might was well use the el cheapo ebay 20 amp charger.

once i star gettting the lifepo4, ill guild a charger for that. those are alot eaiser to work with. paralleling the batteries shouldnt be an issue, relays to take them out of the bank to check the volatge, and a a shunt on each to keep track of how much im pulling. an arduino to run it all. ill be neediing an external ADC, one with an intigrated op amp to read the stupid low 75 mv full load shunt.

but that willl come later.

since i got a 3d printer, ill be trying to make a wind genrator. 50 watts or so on n42 15mm x 4mm neo magnets. but one thing at a time. first off the lead acid solar set up. three 35 amp hf batteries. the rest and come later.
mostly i need the refridgerator. on 70 amps i can do it. its an dorm fridge converted to ice chest (not sure if its worht it. draws twice what id did. lol) cooling has always been the problem camping.

the micro wave would be nice, but i guess i can do with out. and ac is pretty much a must, even if i got to shell out for a honda 1000eu gen.

well thats it for now. time for sleepy stuff!
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

Frittering money away trying to reinvent the wheel.

Research best practices, not rocket science, but it is science.

Put in a decent bank to start, pair of 6V Duracell 200+AH GCs for a couple hundred.

Save up for a good 30+A charger.

Buy a small quiet genny that will run it easily, say 60-70% rpm.

If you really need A/C then size the genny for that, forget running it off battery.

The more panels the better, maybe 200W enough to start.

A good SoC meter will help treat the bank right so it lasts.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets