Any safety hacks for standard tear door w window?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Any safety hacks for standard tear door w window?

Postby godskid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm

I've had a Little Guy Joey (4x8) and now have a myPod Max (5x8). Both have the standard teardrop door with a window in it. Anybody have any clever hacks to keep the window safer when cracked open? For instance, to prevent the window being slid all the way open?

I mean - it would be so easy for someone to slide the window all the way open, since the glass is on the outside, and then cut the screen and open the door with the inside handle.

I guess the window is a bit more secure when latched shut, but not a whole lot. I *want* to open the window to vent, so any security ideas are welcomed.

My "camping" is usually in the rest plaza parking lots, just off the highway. I usually feel safe with the lights and the restaurant nearby -- but it's still a concern.

The door is like this: http://www.all-rite.com/media/catalog/p ... t-door.jpg
godskid
The 300 Club

Re: Any safety hacks for standard tear door w window?

Postby friz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:23 pm

I think a swift kick gets you into most campers. Some kind of personal protection would be a better plan.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 pm

This topic comes up on a semi-regular basis, for good reasons. And many have weighed in. I think you need to define & quantify your concerns. If they are primarily for the safety of your family, you may want to consider Friz"s advice, along with very careful screening of where you camp.... If you feel confident that your family is reasonably safe, but the concern is the safety of your equipment while you're absent for short or long periods of time, that is a whole nother thing.... TD's & TTT"s are very difficult to secure from B & E"s or outright thefts. You can get opinions here which range from "I leave everything unlocked" so as to limit peripheral damage, to elaborate systems to make crime more difficult. None of them are foolproof. In short, you need to reach a satisfactory level of comfort with the precautions & deterrents you decide to incorporate, while understanding that, if the criminal is determined enough, you really can't stop them...........jd.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Karen Clancy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm

If you are looking for advice while inside sleeping I think that Fritz has the right solution , It's funny on how a 9 stuck into your face will make you think twice
I use the advice from Carl Mollden don't leave home without it .
Karen Clancy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm

You'll find there are holes drilled in the slot by the manufacturer for preset stops. I added a few more. But as said above, it doesn't hurt to "carry".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby godskid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 pm

dmdc411 wrote:You'll find there are holes drilled in the slot by the manufacturer for preset stops. I added a few more. But as said above, it doesn't hurt to "carry".

You may be talking about a different style door and window. Does yours have pins on a spring, that you push away from the frame, and release when you reach another stop point?

Yeah, mine doesn't have those. Just a swivel piece in the middle, to catch onto the other window when in the closed position. To hold it at an 80% open position, it has plastic arms sticking out onto the window surface, to grab the sides. But you have to open it 80% of the way. Or none.

(Or bring an eraser or wine cork, to prop it up, with nothing to secure it that way.)
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby godskid » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Oooo -- I like this! I wonder what it would cost to (a) buy, (b) ship to the USA, and (c) install.

http://www.trikesaustralia.com/teardrop ... or1web.jpg
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Locks just keep honest people honest. Bad people can always get in.

I am a second amendment guy, I own lots of guns, but now don't feel the need to carry. And its not for everyone it is a big commitment with classes and training and practice. Not to mention you live in ILL. :? I'm three years out of there now. :applause:

At the least get some pepper spray and keep that handy. If you go that route buy an extra and practice with it so you know how far it sprays and you know the effect it will have on you. and have a plan if you do use it Fight or Flight.

On the same lines is bear spray with a dye marker, it's stronger than pepper and sprays farther with the add benefit of dye makes it easier for the cops to find the guy. Just remember "I just grabbed the first thing I could find" if you are asked why you used bear spray. :roll:
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

godskid wrote:Oooo -- I like this! I wonder what it would cost to (a) buy, (b) ship to the USA, and (c) install.

http://www.trikesaustralia.com/teardrop ... or1web.jpg
Looks more like it's to keep someone in!

dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Yep, those Aussies are a wild bunch. Keeping them either in or out would require serious screening :lol: ......jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion