"TrailTop" modular trailer building components

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: "TrailTop" modular trailer building components

Postby jscherb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Ride4321 wrote:Wow, first I've seen of this thread. Great stuff but I've got a lot of reading to get up to date here. I'm in Binghamton so you're almost a neighbor.
I've been trying to come up with an design for a small bike hauler (dual sport moto) based on similar designs. Haven't gotten it figured out yet but I'm loving the modular designs you've shown. Now to head back to the beginning of this thread and continue reading thru.
:thumbsup:

I think something like this might work with a 5' height. Basically figuring a 5 x 5 x 10' should fit the bike.

I know nothing about what a "dual sport moto" is, but Google search helped me find out... so I drew this 5' high x 10' long concept. It uses the TrailTop teardrop parts because that's the example you used, but sized as you said. I believe the bike is scaled accurately, the rear wheel on this one is 18" so that's how I sized the bike image. I put a 4'-high door in the side of the trailer figuring it might be nice to get inside to the front of the cargo area. It's got a teardrop-style rear hatch above a drop-down tailgate, and you'd use a ramp against the tailgate to roll bikes in. Not knowing anything about moto bikes I don't know if this concept makes sense.

FWIW:

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby Ride4321 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am

That's pretty much what I had in mind. Thanks for taking the time to draw it up. The bike is 4'7" at the highest point (mirrors and windscreen) and about 7' long so with the hinge at the top like you show it'd fit. It's going to mean rolling the bike in crouched down which is something I'm willing to deal with. I could just go the easy route with a 6 x 10' cargo trailer but the lower more aerodynamic trailer you show will tow much better behind my minivan.
My one concern with using the teardrop design was if the walls would be supported well enough without a galley in the rear. With the traditional plywood build I think that could be a problem. Would your framing make that a non issue? If so when will I be able to buy the components?

Here's what I originally had planned (5 x 5 x 10') but I like your boxier version better since it'd provide more head room and interior space.
Attachments
teardrop toyhauler sm.jpg
teardrop toyhauler sm.jpg (90.61 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jscherb » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Ride4321 wrote:That's pretty much what I had in mind. Thanks for taking the time to draw it up. The bike is 4'7" at the highest point (mirrors and windscreen) and about 7' long so with the hinge at the top like you show it'd fit. It's going to mean rolling the bike in crouched down which is something I'm willing to deal with. I could just go the easy route with a 6 x 10' cargo trailer but the lower more aerodynamic trailer you show will tow much better behind my minivan.
My one concern with using the teardrop design was if the walls would be supported well enough without a galley in the rear. With the traditional plywood build I think that could be a problem. Would your framing make that a non issue? If so when will I be able to buy the components?

Here's what I originally had planned (5 x 5 x 10') but I like your boxier version better since it'd provide more head room and interior space.

The TrailTop components provide plenty of strength and rigidity without extra framing. There are a few wood cross-ribs in the roof of the teardrop below, but there's no galley and the sides are only plywood framed by the TrailTop fiberglass components.

The roof framing is shown below; the plywood sides aren't in place but there's no additional framing there.

I don't know if the TrailTop components will ever be available. I just design this stuff, I don't sell anything. If a company or person is interested in manufacturing/marketing the TrailTop system I'm happy to explore it with them. And I've kept all the molds so if the need arises I can make more parts.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby Ride4321 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:53 pm

I didn't think you had it offered for sale. Nice to know that it's rigid and strong enough to work for my needs though without the galley built in. Maybe I can come with a way to make a structural support system similar to yours that will work for my needs. Great concept and I really am enjoying your posts. Keep up the good work.
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jscherb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Once I get the Trail Kitchen installed, I'll finalize the sleeping platform design. The basic plan is for the sleeping platform will go above the kitchen. It will be sectional so it can be configured for sleeping or standing.

At left below is the sleeping configuration. I haven't shown any of the supporting structure for the platform in this drawing, just the location of the platform and mattress parts. The pink area below the end of the bed would be used to store "outdoor" gear, things that come out and get set up in the morning - chairs, table, etc.

On the right is one way I could configure the sleeping platform and mattress for standing; in this one the end of the bed swings down to provide floor space for standing.

But rather than swinging down as shown above I'll probably make the end section of the bed platform and mattress removable, then it can be used as a backrest for sitting:

I'll do a sectional foam mattress and sew covers for each section. Under the center section will be a storage compartment.

And I visited a few of my favorite RV surplus outlets the other day to pick up a few bits & pieces for the camper project. Got long stabilizer jacks, gas struts and hardware for the hatches and a set of locks keyed alike for the doors and hatches.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby Ride4321 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:51 pm

I recently picked up a tri fold mattress on Amazon that might work well for that. I used it for a bed in my van build. It's 25" x 75" though so would have to be doubled up for two people.

$55 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742 ... UTF8&psc=1
Ride4321
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jscherb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Ride4321 wrote:I recently picked up a tri fold mattress on Amazon that might work well for that. I used it for a bed in my van build. It's 25" x 75" though so would have to be doubled up for two people.

$55 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742 ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I followed the link and they do have other sizes and they're reasonably priced as well. I'll be doing a slightly narrow queen - a queen is 60" wide and the Jeep-tub trailer is 59" wide so I can't do the full width of a queen but I will be doing the full queen length (80"). I could adapt their queen to my use but if I start with raw foam I have complete freedom to make the sections whatever size I want, so that's what I think I'll do. Sewing covers for them is easy and I'll be able to pick whatever fabric I like as well.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby greygoos » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

You sleep platform is great. I was planning a spring build with something very similar but that could folded up and pulled by a small vehicle. By combining your explorer pod and possibly a truck tent or Popular mechanics car top sleeper. I dont have enough computer skills for an illustration. The idea being a 5 x 5 explorer pod with no storage inside, topped with a truck tent. When opened it becomes a queen sized sleeping area with standing room on one end.
Attachments
truck tent.jpg
truck tent.jpg (169.75 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am

greygoos wrote:You sleep platform is great. I was planning a spring build with something very similar but that could folded up and pulled by a small vehicle. By combining your explorer pod and possibly a truck tent or Popular mechanics car top sleeper. I dont have enough computer skills for an illustration. The idea being a 5 x 5 explorer pod with no storage inside, topped with a truck tent. When opened it becomes a queen sized sleeping area with standing room on one end.

Thank you. Your idea looks like a very good one, good luck with it.

BTW you wrote "your explorer pod"... the Explorer Box/Pod is not mine, it's a design from Compact Camping Concepts: https://compactcampingconcepts.com/explorerbox/. I'm not an employee of Compact Camping, and the TrailTop components described in this thread are not products of Compact Camping either.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Today I did a test fit of the Trail Kitchen in the camper.

The water source for the sink is a 2-gallon Rotopax, it mounts to the side of the kitchen. Water flow is handled by a small 12v pump, which automatically switches on when the faucet is opened and switches off when the faucet is closed.

The hatch above the kitchen will be a pantry.

The kitchen isn't fully installed yet, and there's no power, but it is in the Jeep so here's a demo of the sink.

I also swapped the locks today, so now all of the hatches, the rear entry door and the front kitchen door are all keyed alike.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Ride4321 wrote:Wow, first I've seen of this thread. Great stuff but I've got a lot of reading to get up to date here. I'm in Binghamton so you're almost a neighbor.
I've been trying to come up with an design for a small bike hauler (dual sport moto) based on similar designs. Haven't gotten it figured out yet but I'm loving the modular designs you've shown. Now to head back to the beginning of this thread and continue reading thru.
:thumbsup:

I think something like this might work with a 5' height. Basically figuring a 5 x 5 x 10' should fit the bike.

Looks like you are having a lot of fun. :lol: The storage idea I too came up with a while back still in the design long way to go but anyway i called them saddle bags. Mine however will swing out and become extension for the galley.

Your unit reminds me of the old IH Scout adds. http://www.binderblues.com/main/scout_ads/scoutads.html I was to young but the adds made me want one, just like the adds for the running boards on the VW rabbit made me want them too.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/298926494005018186
and the fun one taking it apart too. top video
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... he-beetle/

They were ahead of their time you are on time.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

A few more photos - With the Jeeps out of the garage I took a few photos with a better view of the trailer.

One of the swing-down stabilizer jacks I picked up last week at an RV surplus outlet is leaning up against the trailer frame at the rear. They're extra long and they'll be perfect, mounted to the underside of the frame they'll have more length than necessary.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Another option that might be worth considering - the plan for the front hatch is to be a pantry cupboard, but instead it could be used for a bed extension and the side hatch could be used instead for a cupboard. The front hatch is about 48" wide so it would be reasonable as an extension for a bed that will be roughly 56" wide. Doing this would provide more floor space for standing.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 am

I've been asked a few questions about powering the fridge in the trailer and about counter space for food prep.

The Trail Kitchen has a power system - in the Jeep I've got a kitchen battery installed above the rear inner fender and the same battery will go in the trailer. The Trail Kitchen Power panel has two power outlets, two USB outlets, and a voltmeter and ammeter for monitoring battery condition. One of the outlets powers the fridge and the other powers the sink pump.

In this photo for a better view of the battery and power system the kitchen isn't installed; I'm charging my phone from one of the USB outlets:

The Trail Kitchen also has a charging system - when the Jeep is running the battery is charged and the kitchen is powered from the Jeep and when the Jeep isn't running the kitchen is powered by the kitchen battery. The battery lasts about 3 days before it drops below the fridge power threshhold, so as long as the Jeep is run every few days the kitchen battery stays charged. When installed in the trailer, the charging system will be tied to the Jeep power through the trailer wiring plug.

For longer than 3-day operation, solar panels would be a good idea and the Trail Kitchen charging system could be tied to output of the panels.

The Trail Kitchen has a plenty of cooking/countertop surface, but more is always good. Here are some photos of the kitch en in the wild during food prep...

For even more work space, what I may do is install the side hatches to open down as tables. Here's a concept drawing, I've put a pantry cupboard inside and the hatch opens as a table.

Another option for more table space would be something like this tire-mounted table I was testing on my recent Death Valley camping trip.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby JuneBug » Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm

For those still interested, the pull-out kitchen discussion is still going on over at the Expedition Portal, pages 67 and 68.

Check it out here -- starting on page 67:"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

Don't know if/when the fiberglass connecting pieces will be available to the public.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion