7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7'*18' V-Nose Cargo Trailer Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Tommy, good to hear from you. Sent you a few texts over the Holidays. Was going to stop by to see if you were still breathing. :-)

I caught alot of the trails and some jeep trails. I do have liability. It is very cheap ($90/yr) on the KTM.

I ended up staying at Big Bass. Will have to show you that one. It is right off of county road 42 on the South Side. I found it the hard way as it was my third stop and I came in from the north via dirt forest roads. Nice place and access to jeep trails just outside the entrance and Centenial Loop just 6 miles away at Big Scrub (which is closed for now). Nice flat numbered sites in Oak hammock. One loop . Will need gen to peak batteries a few hours a day as solar is limited due to shade. Camp host on site to maintain order and tell hunters to turn off loud generators at night. ;-)

Hunters were annoying as usual this time of year. You'd think they own the place.

Had a great time camping. No wrecks or break downs. Was taking it easier being solo. Found a few dry sink holes. They were fun to run. Like a big soft banked track to rail.

If you are up for just a camping trip in Feb., let me know, can go there. Dump station and water on the way out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby NotJammer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 pm

I used to ride solo dirt bike in Upper Peninsula Michigan. During the last ride I became very aware, if I fall and can't get up, I am dead. It was mid-September and I had ridden for miles without seeing anyone. I gave that up 27 years ago at age 40.

I still ride almost anywhere on anything, but I keep visible. I have had 2 ambulance rides to ER while street riding. I have been first on scene for more than a few broken riders. I have one friend found in a remote area dead with his bike parked just fine nearby. It wasn't suicide.

Be careful.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:05 am

NotJammer wrote:I used to ride solo dirt bike in Upper Peninsula Michigan. During the last ride I became very aware, if I fall and can't get up, I am dead. It was mid-September and I had ridden for miles without seeing anyone. I gave that up 27 years ago at age 40.

I still ride almost anywhere on anything, but I keep visible. I have had 2 ambulance rides to ER while street riding. I have been first on scene for more than a few broken riders. I have one friend found in a remote area dead with his bike parked just fine nearby. It wasn't suicide.

Be careful.

I have thought about the dangers and been on the scene a few times with injured riders myself. It is a scary thought... but I enjoy being outside camping and riding my dirt bike in the woods so much.. I take a few risks for sure. I prefer riding with others when I can.. but I'll go solo when no one is available.

I always carry enough survival gear to spend the night out in the woods (almost had to a few times with various mechanical issues). I do ride a lot more conservative when by myself. Last time I wrecked when out by myself (it has been a while), I was laying on my back looking up at the sun (and a few stars.. lol) and thought I should stop doing this.. It is like the horse... I just keep getting back on it for some strange reason.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:46 am

I think with the way are world is we have to video everything. Avoid specifics when talking to others about the event until it's "settled".
When Don first mentioned the event he didn't include(or I missed it) any details. This while leaving us concerned was the right way. When Tommy posted his more specific post. I had an idea that something more would come.
Reading on TT, I saw that USFS as different rules for different states. Odd that to me, as here you need plate(which requires PLPD). But after questioning the poster, I was still not convinced. I went to the USFS site. What the poster failed to mention was that ORV only licensed vehicles were legal on FS roads in that state, only if they carried LIABILITY. Wanna bet that, poster is riding without.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 am

Padilen, Howdy;

Padilen wrote:I think with the way are world is we have to video everything. Avoid specifics when talking to others about the event until it's "settled".
When Don first mentioned the event he didn't include(or I missed it) any details. This while leaving us concerned was the right way. When Tommy posted his more specific post. I had an idea that something more would come.
Reading on TT, I saw that USFS as different rules for different states. Odd that to me, as here you need plate(which requires PLPD). But after questioning the poster, I was still not convinced. I went to the USFS site. What the poster failed to mention was that ORV only licensed vehicles were legal on FS roads in that state, only if they carried LIABILITY. Wanna bet that, poster is riding without.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The why the regs are different, IMO, is due to the nature of the various States laws about
using ORV. If a State requires that an operator has to have Insurance to ride on State lands
while being off road then the requirement would also be applied to the USFS lands within
that State.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby NotJammer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:49 pm

10 years ago my nephew was riding his Quad in a private licensed off-road site. He is a hot dog. He came zooming around a corner and ran over a fallen 2 wheel motorbike rider. The guy was already on the ground when my nephew hit him.

Ton of sh** hit the fan. The guy was dead. My nephew was published in the local paper as the killer. Lot's of hot air, anger, and finger-pointing.

Autopsy cleared my nephew, the guy was already dead of a heart attack before he was run over.

Small town.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 am

Glad your nephew was exonerated from the death. That would be a heavy burden to live with.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Thinking about adding a large 270W panel to the back of the camper and a separate 20A MPPT Controller (saw some really inexpensive 270W panels on a local Craigslist) . Been thinking about it some and there are some benefits. The panel would cover the last bit of real estate on the roof from the sun so it will be cooler inside. I have decided not to carry cargo there in a cargo carrier as originally planned (no need after using the CTC for a while). I can run my AC in full sun straight out without depleting the batteries. And the biggest benefit would be a totally redundant system in case the front of the trailer gets partial or a controller goes out or etc.. Just thinking.. It would give me a theoretical 770W in full sun. That's a lot of power to use or store up. :thinking: :thinking:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby 216Noah » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Hello Flboy

Landed on your thread while researching converting a cargo trailer and read the whole thing. This forum is a great resource, thank you for sharing.
The additional solar setup sounds pretty slick.

I am a still in the research and design phase and look forward to documenting the build here.

:thumbsup:
216Noah
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 am

Hey Don,
What are the dimensions on those 270w panels? Do you know what type (mono/poly) or a brand?
I'm really going to try to focus on putting in a system before summer. Do you have a trusted source if you were to purchase a plug and play system? I'm pretty sure I could piece meal a system and save some $$$, but.... it would be nice to have all new, quality equipment arrive and be able to install and have a trouble free system with warranty etc.. That has never been my style but I'd like to try it. On the other hand, if I could put a system together for 50% cost of new, well, more $$$ for travel etc.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am

Don found that piece for like 13 bucks. No problem and I will order if you cant find that laying around unused. Just let me know. I remember forcing that side one time when it got stuck while camping. Course I may need a hand for the install.

But hopefully I will never have to ask for help with the black tank again! :frightened: stuff. Wont happen again like that.
Attachments
awnpart.jpg
awnpart.jpg (56.04 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 pm

McDave wrote:Hey Don,
What are the dimensions on those 270w panels? Do you know what type (mono/poly) or a brand?
I'm really going to try to focus on putting in a system before summer. Do you have a trusted source if you were to purchase a plug and play system? I'm pretty sure I could piece meal a system and save some $$$, but.... it would be nice to have all new, quality equipment arrive and be able to install and have a trouble free system with warranty etc.. That has never been my style but I'd like to try it. On the other hand, if I could put a system together for 50% cost of new, well, more $$$ for travel etc.

McDave

Hi McDave. The 270W panels are 39"*64.5" and are typically 24V instead of 12V. You can get them in Poly or Mono. About $20 difference. Mono is marginally better and I will go with Mono. I have bought all my panels through Amazon and used the Renogy Brand. May still do that, but there is a guy selling some 270W panels about 50 miles from me... A better price.. but not a lot better. I am not sure about the brand.. so I may just pay more and go with what I know works well.

The main thing in the solar system are the panels and the Charge Controller... After that it is just brackets and wiring. You'd have no problems integrating your own system I am sure. Basic electricity skills and a few brackets... You got it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I bought the panels and controller separately. Kits don't offer much advantage if any.

This 270W panel is a 24V output as I mentioned, so I can use a smaller gauge wires to run up to the controller from the rear of the CTC . The Charge Controller I will use (Epever MPPT 30A) will handle 12 or 24V and convert to the charge voltage/current.. I could probably get away with a 20A controller... but I like to have some margin... no sense in running at limits. I have the 40A version of the controller on the 500W system and it has been rock solid. They run 24/7.. There are more expensive controllers out there... not sure they are better. You will have to read up on those, weigh the cost/ benefit and make a choice. Just go with MPPT. I had PWM in my first CTC when I was learning this stuff and went to MPPT... huge difference in efficiency and well worth the money paid.

Good luck McDave! You will like having that sun charging your batteries.. it will be a nice upgrade.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 am

Tommy B wrote:Don found that piece for like 13 bucks. No problem and I will order if you cant find that laying around unused. Just let me know. I remember forcing that side one time when it got stuck while camping. Course I may need a hand for the install.

But hopefully I will never have to ask for help with the black tank again! :frightened: stuff. Wont happen again like that.

Tommy, sent a text. I think I found the part for you. I can bring it by. Speaking of black water... I may pick one of these up so I can drain at home from my trailer pad. Just run a 3/4" Garden Hose to the septic tank clean out cap. I am thinking this may be nice when boon docking and near vault toilets in remote locations if I get too full.. I can pull up and just run the hose right into the out house toilet, or into a container to dump into a toilet, or etc.. :thinking: Since my gray water goes to the same drain connection via a different blade valve, I can use that to flush it the macerator and hose after blackwater release. At home, it has a connection to connect a fresh water hose to flush it. I think it is just a fancy 12VDC garbage disposer for poop... :lol: :lol:

Macerator.jpg
Macerator.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HKZHIW/_e ... FWDQ&psc=0
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 am

I Did look into that/considered it. Not sure. where to store 30 odd feet of poopie hose and the pump. Next time you pop in if you could help me find that swale access I will be set for life. Just need to line up some string from that front access pipe straight across the yard. Its only an inch or so below the dirt as it used to be exposed but rain and the mower have covered it up. Should only take a minute or 60. :D I just need to figure out how to make it run over proof because I did that before and had to dig like 3-4 feet to fix it but I shortened it up. Some type of cover but it needs to be discrete if you know what I mean. 8) Maybe you will have an idea. :thinking:

Finally may get some answers on Monday concerning the hand. :worship: that its good news.

Let you know. I don't carry phone or wallet just yet so I don't always see any texts or calls right off. Just info.

Thanks and see you later Don.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Well, I cut the hole larger and mounted the dual gas/electric water heater switch. I know the gas works well since I have used it. Going on a Dualsport ride in March where we will have power. I guess I'll try the electric element out then. I can hear the relay click with the switch, so I believe the wires are connected properly.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions