newbie from central Florida

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

newbie from central Florida

Postby rastaman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Hello all, I just introduced my self in the newbie section, However since i suspect that this is where I may be hanging out, I thought I would briefly explain my situation.
I currently own a 05 dodge 3500 truck with a truck Camper. I am dreading the day when major repairs maybe required, as it has already racked up 350k miles, virtually trouble free, but i am thinking my luck may be running out.
Also the fact that my preferred method of camping is the further off the beaten path the better.( and a dully cant go far) I have pretty much talked myself into downsizing to a smaller 'setup'. maybe a Tundra 4x4, and tow a smaller trailer.

I already own a 6x12 v enclosed trailer that I think would be a good candidate for a conversion, although having only a 6' height and I am 6'1" is causing a little concern.
It will me used by my wife (small,and only 5'2") and myself ,and we dont required too many comforts, comfortable bed, area to prepare meals, potty, some storage and sitting area.
basically a truck camper setup without the truck. ( I have even considered mounting the TC on a trailer, but not for long :)

I am also considering a small, 15'-19' older travel trailer......I like the old stuff....you get a chance to create it.

I have already done extensive reading here, and I am totally blown away by the information and help that is here for the taking.
So if any one has any ideas or suggestions they would like to offer,,,,,let me know

Thanks.
david
rastaman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: newbie from central Florida

Postby norgewizard » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 pm

David,
Welcome........I don't have much info on the type of setup you are doing, but I am sure someone will be along shortly
with some ideas. Lots of good info here.
Tim
norgewizard
Teardrop Builder

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm

I've got a 5x12 that's 5 feet high and I'm 6 feet tall, but it's really just a minor inconvenience. It's really about what you'll be doing in it. I have barn doors, a door on each side, and an aft galley that I can access from the inside also, but if I'm inside I'm usually sitting or sleeping so the headroom isn't an issue. It's not like I have enough space to be pacing back and forth.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Welcome rastaman,
I think beachguy005 kind of nailed it when he says it's about what you will be doing in there. I really just sleep and shower etc. in my toy hauler, and I am away from camp most of the time. So my needs were pretty basic. However, my wants have evolved considerably.
The height issue is an inconvenience for me as well, 6 x6 x12 trailer and I am 6' 207lbs. My wife is 5'4" 104lbs and she loves it. Now that the construction is over it is easier to deal with the low ceiling, but 6" more would be better.
The point of camping isn't to be in the camper anyway, but it is nice to have some of the conveniences.
Good luck

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby rastaman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks for the responses....and yes I understand totally, Our intent of course is to live out of it, however the main reason I am considering a trailer instead of a van, is the interior space and height, With 2 people I think space to 'get around' a little during the times that you are stuck inside for what ever reason is nice, changing etc. I just didn't want to complete a build, and then regret that I didn't have that little extra head room, I have not been to the location where my trailer is since I have gotten bitten by this 'conversion bug', when I do get to it I will certainly spend some time in it to try and get a feel.
rastaman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 am

Boy, that is a tough position to be in, where you already own a trailer and all. I ordered the extra height and it sure is nice. I don't think i could do a low ceiling. I would seriously consider selling and buying the extra height. good luck! I look forward to watching your build.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 am

rastaman, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum!

Never overlook the need to be able to stand erect, NEVER.
I drove truck for 10 years and I never had a sleeper I could stand up in.
Not by my choice, the owners just didn't want to pay for the extra height.
I had to go outside to stand up 'straight and tall'. I'm 6' 1" tall.
My CT is 6" 6" inside height, there was zero debate.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm

hankaye wrote:rastaman, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum!

Never overlook the need to be able to stand erect, NEVER.
I drove truck for 10 years and I never had a sleeper I could stand up in.
Not by my choice, the owners just didn't want to pay for the extra height.
I had to go outside to stand up 'straight and tall'. I'm 6' 1" tall.
My CT is 6" 6" inside height, there was zero debate.

hank

Rastaman, welcome. A small CTC would definitely do it if you are use to a truck camper and like it. Is your truck camper something that you will sell?

I am asking the question only because I started my CTC build by re-purposing/re-using most of an old truck camper (donor camper). I got Windows, Water pump, Black and Gray water Holding tanks, Sink, Wiring, some switches, Hot water heater, ladder, propane tank and fittings, Oven Hood, furnace, Oven/stove, table, bed mattress, drawers/hardware, and etc.. which really brought down the price of my build. I actually stripped out all the heavy Gage wires and reused it. I didn't reuse the power center as it was not working well and I had different ideas on that.

I could have used all the cabinet faces, the rooftop AC, shower pan, bathroom sink , dinette cushions and etc., but I went a different route with cabinets, bathroom door and Air conditioning. It all depends on what you want and your goals for the trailer usage.

What I am saying is thay you could sell your existing 6*12 utility and what you are not going to use off your truck camper.... and get a taller one to suit your height, and then take your truck camper and rebuild it into your CTC. Not sure if your Camper is worth more sold or parted out in this case? The one I used was given to me just for for removal due to water damage and some other serious structural issues, but the furnishings were good after cleanup and a few repairs.

The other cool things is that while you are taking it apart, you can see how it is built and learn something for your construction. I am a handy guy, but I had never built anything like my CTC Toy Hauler before, so de-constructing the "donor" trailer helped me visualize the construction I needed to do if that makes any sense. As a result, I built the trailer probably more efficiently and lighter that I otherwise would have.

In your case.. you'd get to carry forward the memories of your truck camper.

Just some thoughts... Best of luck in your build if you decide to go that direction and welcome to the forum. Good guys and gals here willing to help.

The donor... a 1986 Fleetwood Elkhorn destroyed when it was knocked off the trailer jacks and the floor was caved in up fromt. Then sat for a few years and started to deteriorate due to water ingress.

The recipient. The Elkhorn lives on

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rastaman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 pm

I finally got to the location where my trailer is kept. I am able to stand inside the trailer with out crouching, if I really stretch upright my head just touches the interior light. So my first major problem is solved...(i guess I am losing my height an I am not as tall as I used to be) I am comfortable with my head to ceiling clearance.

Now it is time for the floor plan. My initial thoughts are.....rear wall with large window and door, so that when the ramp is lowered we will get that open feel, thought of just a screen. but I would like to leave the ramp down at nights, not sure if the wife will feel comfortable sleeping with that.
Next...on the side door ,side, a 6 ' bunk that will serve as daytime sitting. on the other the side a 5' + folding bunk. Its cushion will be the back rest for the sitting bunk, when folded up.
along the same side as the shorter bunk, will be the counter with sink and stove.

In the V front, partitioned off, will be a potty sitting in a rubber 'feed' pan. which will serve as a shower pan, shower will be a pump up garden sprayer.....
plus additional shelves cabinets where I can fit them. The battery/ electronics and water tank will be mounted below permanent bunk.
Fantastic fan. and solar panels on roof, and hopefully enough space to fit a kayak too.
What do you guys think? what am I missing,,...sorry I am not able to sketch it out on the computer....but those are my initial thoughts after spending 5 mins inside tonight with a flash light.

Flboy......Regarding the Truck camper...Not sure what will happen to it, I am emotionally attached to it. It is a 1965 Avion I totally refurbished. I may still end up keeping my big truck just to be able to use the TC, which I have yet to take a trip in. I however will eventually sell it.
I wish i had a donor camper to work with like you did, You can really save a lot with one......I have to say that is one heck of a nice CCT you have there. I am going to have to find you build thread, so I can check it out. I am much like you, I started off not know anything about Rv's and just jumped in with both feet.
I will go do some research here now on windows....the wife insist....she wants windows,,,the more and the bigger, the better.

Yeh Mon

Rasta
rastaman
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions