Off Road MTB Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Off Road MTB Hauler

Postby onlyridepark » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Not much time on the trailer this past week, just finished up a few odds and ends and got my leveling jacks installed.
Most of my electrical stuff has shown up.
A/C
12v fridge (in mail)
PD4045 charger/converter
lighting
Battery monitor
shut off switch
Lots of marine grade wire, relays, connectors, fuses, etc.

Got it planned out pretty well I think. My next few days off I'll be building the cabinets for the A/C and fridge. Then to start on wiring.

So for now I am contemplating plumbing.
got a pretty good idea but until I figure out what water heater I'm going with it is hard to lay out exactly where it will all go and what size/shape fresh water tank i will use. It seems as though all the portable type propane water heaters like the Eccotemp and the Excel have pretty poor reliability. So I started looking at typical RV tankless like the Girard but the reviews there are fairly poor as well. Should I just stick with a standard RV tank style water heater if I am looking at reliability? I really prefer the thought of something that is only using propane while I am actually using it but not at the expense of it being a major headache.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:41 pm

onlyridepark wrote: It seems as though all the portable type propane water heaters like the Eccotemp and the
Excel have pretty poor reliability. So I started looking at typical RV tankless like the Girard but the reviews there
are fairly poor as well. Should I just stick with a standard RV tank style water heater if I am looking at reliability?
I really prefer the thought of something that is only using propane while I am actually using it but not at the expense
of it being a major headache.

A few of us are having good luck with this water heater. I have only used it a dozen or so times, but I love it.
Especially the venting and using outside air for combustion. Oh and the fact that you set the temp and only turn
on the hot water. No need to mix. It does however require a small amount of AC. I have it hooked up to a small
inverter for when shore power isn't available. Inverter post
Ebay Link
Website Link
I believe I got mine from the ebay link for $350 delivered. The pic is my Aquah Plus install.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby onlyridepark » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:44 pm

I hadn't seen that one, I'll have to look into it. That stainless vent pipe looks good.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 pm

I have had my Marey Tankless 5l for 3yrs now. Zero issues so far. Hard to beat the price. I do make sure to drain the heater after every use, it's very easy just turn a thumbscrew that lets air in and it drains heat exchanger and hose/wand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marey-Tankless ... 25ad3ed85f

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby onlyridepark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 am

Picked up some Jeep Rubicon takeoffs over the weekend. Be off next week and hopefully make some progress. The jacks I put under the trailer make for quick easy tire swaps.

onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby onlyridepark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Seems as though no matter how well I think I planned something out, I still end up making 3 to 4 trips to Home Depot every week for odds and ends.

The cabinet for the A/C and refrigerator is mostly together. Leaving one side open for now to access some wiring. Still need to finish out the storage compartment up top. I had lots of left-over insulation so there is now 4 extra inches on the back and sides of the fridge, 2" on top. The A/C condensate will tubing running it through the floor.

Other than that, I got the Charger/converter mounted in the bench and mounted the shut off switch inside. Really expected to get a bit more on the electrical but that is definitely next.

onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 pm

It's really looking great. Looks cool in tow as well.
Keep up the good work and she'll be done by spring.

McDave

Just as an aside, next time put that ac at the top. It will cool where your head is and the cold air will fall naturally. Then you are treating the hottest air first.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby onlyridepark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 pm

McDave wrote:It's really looking great. Looks cool in tow as well.

McDave

Just as an aside, next time put that ac at the top. It will cool where your head is and the cold air will fall naturally. Then you are treating the hottest air first.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how it is coming along. Progressing quicker than expected too. When I had the trailer built I had the generator door put in at the bottom with the plan to use a ClimateRight A/C. Then it would have been ducted up high. I thought about cutting a hole in the wall to put it up top but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Hope I don't regret it.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby onlyridepark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:54 pm

216Noah wrote:I like the color choice on the wood. :thumbsup:

Which motor do you have in the WK2? MY 4.7 WJ is my current tow vehicle, but I'd like to get a diesel when I start traveling more. Looking at the WK Crd

That WJ is also the 4.7. My WK2 is a 5.7, it does okay but now I kind of regret not getting the diesel. Previous to this I've always had diesel trucks and I miss all the torque.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am

onlyridepark, Howdy;

onlyridepark wrote:
McDave wrote:It's really looking great. Looks cool in tow as well.

McDave

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how it is coming along. Progressing quicker than expected too. When I had the trailer built I had the generator door put in at the bottom with the plan to use a ClimateRight A/C. Then it would have been ducted up high. I thought about cutting a hole in the wall to put it up top but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Hope I don't regret it.

As you will be only cooling a small space, relatively speaking, I've found opening the roof vent
will allow the warmest air to escape from while the cooler air fills up the space from the bottom up.
Why folks keep thinkin' that stopping the flow of air will help heat or cool is beyond me ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sodatrain » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am

Awesome! Would love to see all the details about your AC setup. Somewhere (my build thread?) I posted a link to a guy that detailed his install of AC and how to diverted the airflows and vented (and drained) out the bottom of the trailer. I'm keenly interested in this as I don't want to put AC size holes in my walls (and I don't want to build a wall/door/frame at the rear to mount it. I want the ramp to be a huge window :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
My 7x7x14 Tandem Axel build thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69731
sodatrain
Teardrop Advisor

Postby onlyridepark » Sat May 19, 2018 1:45 am

Hadn't been here in a while but the trailer is coming along and has been getting some use. Really happy with how the electrical and plumbing turned out.
I have tons of photos of progress along the way but still having issues of resizing pics so it became too much trouble to post. Still not complete but have most everything I need to head out for summer.
One more week and we hit the road. Maybe I'll try to do a video of the trailer and post a link.

cushions are cut but still waiting on a friend to finish wrapping them.

I ended up redoing the fridge cabinets.

somewhat undecided on shower floor and drain. None of the floor pans I've found are what I want. Thinking having a custom stainless pan made.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby onlyridepark » Sat May 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Okay, I changed my camera settings and got a bunch of pictures today of where this thing is at. So hopefully these post.
We just cut the sides for the rear tarp and need to sew them on. It will be fully enclosed with the option for raising up as a rear awning on tent poles.

Two 12volt 110amp hour each, PD4045, Victron BMV701 with everything grounded to battery through shunt.

Planned on door for shower but decided on using a ceiling mounted rail with just a curtain. To be installed soon.

onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat May 19, 2018 7:07 pm

Very Nice work. That looks road ready. Clever rear tarp setup.
You have been very busy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby onlyridepark » Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm

McDave wrote:Very Nice work. That looks road ready. Clever rear tarp setup.
You have been very busy.

McDave

It was mainly out of necessity for an extra bed. The bike rack I'm building will fold out to the rear when opened up and be a 30"x72" bed.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions