Re: ris 8.5 X 18 new trailer build 11/1/17

Postby 7sparky7 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Richard for the links and info.
I like the way you think!
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby ris » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Well we decided to finish the bathroom up in the front of the trailer. We put up the primed, sanded and then 1 topcoat 3/8 plywood. This first pic shows the front wall up, with the wood center strip right in the V of the nose of the trailer. The blue box with the wire is 110 volt for wife's blow dryer and other electrical stuff for the wife. The unpainted board to the left of center is a ledger board for the bath cabinet top. The pex water lines are for the bath sink

This is the view which will be under the bath cabinet top. The first set of lines are for the sink. The second set of lines are for the shower valve. The water lines and drain line from the bath sink and shower are the only water lines behind a wall in the camper. Once they go behind the shower stall ( you can see them in the cutout at the back where they turn to go behind the stall) they will enter the kitchen cabinets and run in the cabinets all the way back to the water heater in the utility room at the back of the trailer.

This is the view of the shower valve water lines which are pex and the white cpvc line runs from the valve to the shower head. The bare wood board to the right is the cabinet top ledger board on which the cabinet top will sit.

A view of the shower valve and shower pipe in the stall. All it needs now is FRP to finish the shower.

Here is the cabinet top with the sink just sitting in the hole to check the fit. There is a lot of storage from the sink to the back of the v shaped cabinet top. We will be putting another shelf up higher for additional storage. There will also be a shelf under the cabinet top also. You cannot have too much storage. We will not put up plywood on the valve side of the wall it will be left open.
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby dmrogers » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Your build is coming along nicely! Thanks for the photos.
dmrogers
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Sometimes the littlest jobs take the longest time. Putting 3 shelves in the bathroom took over 4 hrs. I also had to throw away 2 of the shelves because I cut them wrong. This first picture is of the shelf under the sink. The two above the sink were just as cut up as the bottom one.

This pic is the shelf installed under the counter top.

Here are the two shelves above the counter top.

Tomorrow we will install the end and front on the bathroom sink cabinet. We are putting formica on the top of the bathroom and kitchen cabinets. So we will not secure the cabinet top until we have put formica on the top. Before putting formica on we will put a 1 X 1.5 inch board flush with the top of the cabinet so after the formica is on it will look like the top is 1.5 inches thick.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Nicely done!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ris » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:22 am

Progress was slowed down when we got the flu. That was some bad stuff. First time in 10 years I have had the flu. On the recovery side but still kind of weak. Here are the pics of the shower after we installed the FRP panels on the wall. We used FRP glue and every thing went smoothly. Got a buddy to help as the panels are flexible and heavier with the glue on them. The panels drop down 1/2 inch inside of the shower pan. The shower pan is 24" X 27". The ceiling trim will be installed later.

We used a high quality caulk for the corners instead of corner trim.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

Glad you are feeling better!

Looks good! I used FRP for my shower stall also. It is relatively easy to work with and is perfect for the application.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby ris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 am

When you enter our trailer door on the right is a short wall that separates the main part of the trailer from the bathroom area in the nose. My wife got the idea to double the depth of this wall to 6 inches thick and use it as storage as well as a divider. So the part by the door is 6 inches deep and 13 inches wide. We will put the shelves at different heights for stuff you might need going out the door. There will also be a 12 volt plug and two usb plugs on the top shelf for charging stuff.(wire hanging down is power for the 12 volt)

This is a picture of the bathroom side of the storage area. It is 6 inches deep and 9 inches wide. We will vary the shelf heights here also. The white plywood to the left of the storage area is the back of the storage area by the door. So we turned a hollow wall to all storage from one side or the other.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby ris » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:52 pm

This is a pic of our bathroom shelves in the front of the trailer on the passenger side. They are directly opposite of the shower. The shelves are 16 inches deep, 14 inches tall, 23.5 inches across in the back and 31.5 inches across the front.

We were concerned that we might kick and break the 1/2 inch lip around the open side of the shower pan or someone would stand on the edge and break the open side of the pan. So we cut a piece of 3/4 plywood that goes under the edge of the pan and supports the whole edge of the pan. It is shaped like an L on the top and 1/2 inch of the plywood comes even with the top. So if you step on the open side of the shower pan you will be standing on the 1/2 inch plywood lip not just the shower pan.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby ris » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:46 pm

We have the bed partially completed. It is a queen size bed measuring 5 ft wide and 6' 8'' long ( the length is across the camper) That is our 30 gallon water tank to the right side of the bed. Where you see a single battery on the left there will be 4 trojan 105 6 volt batteries. There will be a removable wall panel behind the batteries so we can access and water the batteries. When that panel is in the wall will be solid across half way of the bed. We will put 2" of insulation on this wall. We will lay 2" of insulation on top of the white plywood between the bed supports. These two insulated areas will insulate the bed from the utility room storage area.

This is a pic of some of the sterilite storage containers that will go under the bed. The ones in the picture are 24" long, 19" wide and 9.5"tall and you can put 3 in each cell. Each cell under the bed can hold 2 of the large tubes which are 24" long. 19" wide and 14.5" tall. So we can put 12 of the containers that would be accessed from the utility room in back of the trailer and 6 of the containers from inside the living part of the trailer. That is a lot of storage.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Wow! Y'all have really maximized the storage in that trailer. You could stock that thing up and stay out for months! Just remember that canned goods and water are heavy. Do you have an Idea where your weight is built out but not loaded?
Storage is probably the area I could have planned for a little more, but with a 6 x 12 Harley Hauler with a shower/toilet and small kitchen there was not a lot of obvious places for storage. I have picked up a few ideas from your build and others, but I am as heavy as I want to go. TOW VEHICLE is a conversion van so plenty of room there.
You are really moving along on the build. Nice job, ris.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 pm

McDave, we are trying to balance as we go. The batteries which weight about 240 lbs and the 30 gallons water which weighs about 240 are centered over the axles on opposite sides of the trailer. Once we finish the build we will weigh the trailer with full load of water and most of our regular carry items. We will also check tongue weight at that time. Our hope is to be around 4500 to 5000 lbs. Which would make the tongue weight about 550 to 600 lbs. Does this answer your question?

Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 am

Yep. Sounds like you have a target weight in mind. I guess that's not bad for such a big unit. My 6 x 12 comes in at 2900 loaded and about 300-350 tongue weight. I used the water tank for balance as well and I can tell the difference when empty or full.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby ris » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:29 pm

We have the gray water tank for both sinks hooked up and the drain installed so we can dump the gray water. This is a picture of the 12 gallon gray water tank with the bracing installed so it will not tip over. We will add a little more bracing when the kitchen cabinets are framed out. To the left of the tank is the drain going through the floor. The clear line that comes from the right is the drain from the bathroom sink. The kitchen sink drain will enter through the top of the pvc tee.

This is a picture of the drain from the gray water tank. It has a valve then a brass hose hook up. When we want to drain the tank we will hook a regular water hose to the brass fitting, open the valve and the tank will drain through the hose. The floor joists on this trailer are 5.5 inches tall. The drain only hangs down 3.5 inches. So it is up between the floor supports.

The 30 gallon water tank is in place, braced and the fill hose and vent hose are hooked up. You cannot see them but there is a block of wood on each end of the tank so it cannot slide forward or backward. There is also a piece of carpet under the tank and 1/2 insulation on each side of the tank to protect it from abrasion.

Picture of short fill hose from back of outside fill to 30 gallon tank. We wanted to keep this fill line short to minimize leaks and fill problems. The smaller hose is the vent hose.
ris
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions