Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Postby amandacreiglow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:24 am

First morning coffee in the trailer. Everything works! Which is good, since I didn’t have a caffienation backup plan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Good job! And, don't worry about the doors. You probably just need better sealing tape/weather stripping or something like that. It looks like you're 99.5% done!
I like the faucet. I might look for one like it as I'm not all that fond of the one I am using now.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:54 am

Like Sharon said "Good Job “ !!! and it’s so CUTE too ... 8) :D :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby amandacreiglow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:14 am

S. Heisley wrote:Good job! And, don't worry about the doors. You probably just need better sealing tape/weather stripping or something like that. It looks like you're 99.5% done!
I like the faucet. I might look for one like it as I'm not all that fond of the one I am using now.

Thanks!

But unfortunately, I’ve spent enough time and money trying all sorts of different weatherstripping to be pretty sure there’s nothing saving these doors. The design and execution was both off with them, I think. They look pretty bad anyway, though, so I can really only remake them better. :-) I’m heading down to Greenville today, where I’ll set up some tarps to protect myself from the rain, and will have enough time there to finish the rebuild on them. Already have the hardest part done, so should be doable... might even be able to manage openable windows!

I’m happy with the galley pump I got so far, although I wan’t happy having the shell out for it because of the way the opening was with the sink I bought. Here’s a link to it:

Mark 6 V PUMP, Galley self priming hand pump (MK 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FHDF3M/

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 am

GPW wrote:Like Sharon said "Good Job “ !!! and it’s so CUTE too ... 8) :D :thumbsup:

Thanks! I’ve gotten comments from people in the campground, and that’s been really nice. I think the cuteness factor is the one thing about the trailer that I’m unequivocally happy with. ;-)

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:06 pm

amandacreiglow wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Good job! And, don't worry about the doors. You probably just need better sealing tape/weather stripping or something like that. It looks like you're 99.5% done!

Thanks!

But unfortunately, I’ve spent enough time and money trying all sorts of different weatherstripping to be pretty sure there’s nothing saving these doors. The design and execution was both off with them, I think. They look pretty bad anyway, though, so I can really only remake them better. :-) I’m heading down to Greenville today, where I’ll set up some tarps to protect myself from the rain, and will have enough time there to finish the rebuild on them. Already have the hardest part done, so should be doable... might even be able to manage openable windows!

I’m happy with the galley pump I got so far, although I wan’t happy having the shell out for it because of the way the opening was with the sink I bought. Here’s a link to it:

Mark 6 V PUMP, Galley self priming hand pump (MK 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FHDF3M/

Thanks, Amanda! I think I'll take a run over to West Marine and see if they have it there, where I can get a better look at it and compare prices with Amazon, too!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:18 pm

amandacreiglow wrote:First morning coffee in the trailer. Everything works! Which is good, since I didn’t have a caffienation backup plan...

Where did you find the stamped metal panels?
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

S. Heisley wrote: I think I'll take a run over to West Marine
great place to look, but overpriced. Online marine suppliers will be cheaper for big ticket items even with delivery.

Careful with Amazon and eBay, lots of counterfeits out there.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby amandacreiglow » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:16 am

Sparksalot wrote:
amandacreiglow wrote:First morning coffee in the trailer. Everything works! Which is good, since I didn’t have a caffienation backup plan...

Where did you find the stamped metal panels?

From American tin tile. They’re online, and while some of their fancier options were pretty pricey, these felt like a good amount of finish for the cost.

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Cool! Thanks.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi,

Nice to see that you are out camping! I see that you are near Richmond, there aren't a lot of campgrounds open this time of year, glad you found one!

FYI, about leaking doors, I had a concern on mine so I put these- http://www.randgsupply.com/Warehouse/Do ... ipcaps.htm
over all of the windows and the door and have not had any issues. The water drips well clear of the openings. Even though I have a commercially made door and windows , water is not okay in my camper!
I screwed them to the PMF with some adhesive caulk to help hold them on and have not had any problems. The screws hold well enough and once the caulk dries they are on pretty good.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Don L. wrote:Hi,

Nice to see that you are out camping! I see that you are near Richmond, there aren't a lot of campgrounds open this time of year, glad you found one!

FYI, about leaking doors, I had a concern on mine so I put these- http://www.randgsupply.com/Warehouse/Do ... ipcaps.htm
over all of the windows and the door and have not had any issues. The water drips well clear of the openings. Even though I have a commercially made door and windows , water is not okay in my camper!
I screwed them to the PMF with some adhesive caulk to help hold them on and have not had any problems. The screws hold well enough and once the caulk dries they are on pretty good.

Definitely planning on rigging something like that up eventually... just tricky with the shape of the top of my doors. Will figure out door eyebrows eventually, although a couple other things are taking precedence at the moment. Thanks for the link, regardless. :)
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby amandacreiglow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Ok, so, this may be my last post on here for a while. Now that I'm out on the road and the trailer is some version of finished, I put together a page for pictures. So if anyone now or in the future wants to see my grand repository of finished(ish) pics on my travels with Foamie, here you go: https://www.amandacreiglow.com/tiny-tea ... -pictures/

There's not that many on there as yet, but I figure it'll grow with time, as I keep taking pictures of my dog and the trailer keeps being nearby. ;-) I'll also be blogging periodically, possibly (there's one up on the site now), but I know myself too well to think that's going to be in any way consistent.

On a side note, since I'll probably not be posting here for a while, I wanted to thank you guys a ton for your help and input. I literally, obviously, couldn't have done anything remotely like this without this forum and the people on it. :) :applause: :wine:
amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm

You'll be missed, Amanda. :(

Best Wishes on your new adventure! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Itty Bitty Foamie Teardrop Test Build Thread

Postby amandacreiglow » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey guys! So, I’ve been on the road with foamie for six weeks now, and by and large it has held up well. I’ve been experimenting with ways to attach tarps to the side for awnings which have been very useful, and I think marine tarp snaps, combined with drywall screw in anchors when necessary are doing the trick

There’s one big problem I need to get in front of, though: delamination.

I think it’s because I used the new adhesive that I’m having this problem as extensively as I am whereas others have not. I guess the jury is back in on the Childers, and even though it’s much nicer to work with, the end result isn’t as long-lived or reliable. A shame.

But regardless, there are a bunch of spots that I need to fix.

I’m thinking I should get a sort of syringe and pump a small amount of glue in each section, then smooth and see how it goes. Any other ideas, or thoughts on what glue I should use?

Thanks!

Also, everyone is amazed when I tell them what this is made out of. :-) spreading the word...

amandacreiglow
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies