PMF and foam

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: PMF and foam

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 am

Excellent and thanks, will definitely include in pre testing
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 am

And just saying for those that love to pile on the Latex primer and then expect to sand it …. You really need to wait at the very least a couple weeks for the primer to harden completely to sand without gumming up your paper … much unlike our old car primer that can be sanded in a couple hours … So the secret is , the thinner you put it on the less you have to sand off and the quicker it cures … Smooth is more about how you put it on rather than how much you put on … :thumbsup:
You guys will have to Trust me on this … as a professional Artist , I’ve been priming canvasses for over 50 years now … tried every method … That’s why Foamies were so Natural for me … I had lotsa’ practice painting on canvas eh !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby badgerkeeb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm

I am finding that the key to a good finish is mostly in the primary application. The neater you apply the PMF the better. I haven't decided on what I'm going to use for the final coat yet. But I'm quite happy with the way PMF and paint is turning out :D so far. http://tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=55&t=69931#
badgerkeeb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CanuckShooter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm

GPW wrote:Take a hint from an old Artist … Try using GESSO to fill the weave … It’s not that expensive , it’s Very Thick , but workable and you can EASILY sand it to get a SMOOTH eggshell finish . We use a yellow plastic Bondo spreader to apply it … Since it’s also a primer , it saves a step … ( being Latex ( just like Gripper) , it’s paint compatable ) .
Applying it with the spreader prevents a huge build up or product , so not only does it fill the weave , it doesn’t affect anything else …. even repairs , should they be necessary …

Like this … ( what I use ) https://www.utrechtart.com/Blick-Profes ... 60.utrecht

Screen if you must for peace of mind , but it really isn’t “necessary" … I love the way everybody throws around the term “Puncture resistance” .. It reality it’s a “No-burger” … In all these years , nobody’s reported even a modest “puncture” , except me and that was through a RV “membrane roof “ of cheap vinyl , thin Plywood , foam and paper … Jayco roof … the limb went through it like it was butter … ( it was $5000.00 to fix the Jayco , a similar repair on a Foamie would be around $20.00 … DIY in 15 min. ;) )

There’s a Logic to all this …

Have you done this on any of your builds? Apply Gesso I mean.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 am

CS, NO , we’ve used a primer , only bscause I don’t mind the look of the weave . But I’ve been priming Artist canvas smooth for over 50 years …. with Gesso :thumbsup:

You can buy a very small jar of ACRYLIC gesso at any art store and try it out ( testing , it’s what we do ) … If you like it , good , if you don’t . you’re not out a lot of bucks .…!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 am

What would you think of traditional Glidden Gripper + screening, built up until the fabric is thoroughly encapsulated

then just enough acrylic to give a smooth finish

then either a final couple topcoats of Gripper or some other puncture-resistant waterproofing paint or coating?

I'm not trusting gesso for the structural adhesion / tensile strength part, this way just need to trust self-adhesion compatibility

Does sticking to Acrylic give assurance of that?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 am

If you don’t trust our word, experience , or the materials , then the only alternative is to TEST it for yourself .. :thumbsup:

Gesso and Gripper are remarkably similar chemically … both Acrylic . Gesso has more Pigment , threfore is Thicker …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 am

GPW wrote:If you don’t trust our word, experience , or the materials , then the only alternative is to TEST it for yourself ..

Gesso and Gripper are remarkably similar chemically … both Acrylic . Gesso has more Pigment , threfore is Thicker …
Sounds like the surface gesso should adhere to the Gripper just fine then.

Trust of forum members isn't the issue, I'm already pushing way past size / load boundaries for these techniques,

testing requires public liability, storm winds and highway speeds

so conservative over-engineering is only sensible.

Seems likely no one's actually used an only-gesso PMF at all yet right?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 pm

The gesso should really be used Only to fill the weave ( it’s pricy) , which Is why we use a scraper to apply it , removing any extra to make it flush on the surface (smooth) … after that you can skip the primer and just paint it … the Gesso is also the primer ... :thumbsup: All depends what you want to do … Primer wouldn’t hurt over the gesso , but it’s just an extra step and expense.

Regarding size … You can always double up on the foam ,making a 4" or even 6” thick wall …. covered with a heavyweight (18-24oz. ) canvas with a thin paneling or chipboard inside should be INCREDIBLY Strong , yet light … Throw in a simple frame to hang it all on and you’ve got a solid vehicle … There is really no such thing as overbuilding with a Foamy ( unless you’re using WOOD !!! ) … Not at 2 lb/ cu.ft. ... :o Build it as Strong as YOU want to .. Make the build Foam thickness proportional to suit the size of the cabin ... ;) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pm

So that's in line with my thoughts, just using the gesso for the cosmetics on top, not as the tensile adhesive.

I will likely use aluminum posts for vertical heavy load bearing, roof rack up top, won't even try to get the foamie shell to support that.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:35 am

Alumimum posts … that sounds like a good idea … We can’t recall anyone doing that as yet . :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 am

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies