First build "Rocinante"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First build "Rocinante"

Postby HarleyCamper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 pm

After a year and a half of taking up space in my shop with no progress I got some time and canvassed the sides. The roof gets ir tomorrow. No one local wanted to sell me aluminum, only to wholesalers/commercial customers. TBII, canvas and exterior paint.

I'm burning my vacation days that I'll lose in March otherwise and my only goal is to finish the camper and go fishing. All of Feb off from work and I'll be teardrop'n this spring. Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 pm

HarleyCamper wrote:I'm sure it's a common question, answered many times. I apologize for that. My searches did not render the question/answer I was seeking. I've decided to abandon the woody sides and skin in aluminum entirely. I want to seal the wood before skinning in aluminum. I know epoxy or CPES is a preferred method, but how about "the mix"? any success stories using it under aluminum? Being diluted, it should have decent penetration. If I do go with CPES, what options are there in filling the screw holes and plywood seams?

Unfortunately, my build has slowed due to my work schedule changing to overnight shift. Using the peel and stick tile produced mixed results already. On the front lip of the counter, the vertical pieces are beginning to fall off. I guess the adhesive isn't strong enough or too flexible for a vertical application. I will be trying some contact cement using the same pieces before I resort to plan C, whatever that may be.
Reattached with some contact cement, feels solid now.

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 am

I coated the canvas again with TBII. I figured with the amount of bleed through, the areas that didn't bleed through may not have had enough glue to adhere, at least that is how it felt. It feels tight and solid now except at the bottom edge. When I glue the roof tomorrow I'll try again to glue down the edge. Since I was planning on skinning with aluminum I have all the requisite aluminum trim and am planning on trimming as if I had skinned with Al.

Today while playing daddy daycare I got two gallons of oops paint (1 zinnser primer) and a gallon of top coat exterior paint. The zinnser (oil based) can says it's food under latex or oil so I'm hoping that'll be enough to get a smooth finish even on canvas. ImageImage

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Roofing done todayImage

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:17 pm

She's pink today. My little girls will love that. The oops Zinnser paint was tinted pink, my next coats will be gray oops paint. The canvas that I covered in diluted TBII soaked up much less paint, to no surprise. Here's to hoping the different paints are adhesion compatible.Image

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Kiddo approved.Image

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Started skinning the hatch today. I had to plane down some inconsistencies in the spars, then attach the plywood a third at a time because I don't have enough clamps. I'll get to the other two pieces tomorrow I think.Image

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Re: First build

Postby RTD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Nice build. Don't know if my build will help you in any way but take a look on You Tube. If you are in the Portland Oregon area there are two places where I got my - Aluminum skins (5x10), and 16 foot pieces of edge trim.

https://youtu.be/hhWhHEzjTVI
RTD
Teardrop Inspector

First build "Rocinante"

Postby Flatworm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Nice work. We started about the same time. Race you to campable?
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pchast » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 pm

A little late now. With titebond, like other yellow glues, you can often reactivate the glue.
Just press down the bubble with a hot iron and a cloth..

Test it on a scrap First to adjust the heat so you don't melt the foam.... :oops:
And keep the iron moving.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby HarleyCamper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:51 pm

Flatworm: The race is on. But to be fair, I've had the past week off of work and have two more weeks off to go. If I don't finish it this month, I won't really be able to work on it again until May. But I found out that the Zinsser oil based primer can take 20 days to fully cure. :NC
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:54 pm

pchast wrote:A little late now. With titebond, like other yellow glues, you can often reactivate the glue.
Just press down the bubble with a hot iron and a cloth..

Test it on a scrap First to adjust the heat so you don't melt the foam.... :oops:
And keep the iron moving.

Thanks. I had already used TBII to glue it down again. I assume ironing would also work on plywood construction to reactivate/adhere TBII & canvas.
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby HarleyCamper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:56 pm

To practice and celebrate nearing completion I made dinner (at home) in my Dutch oven. I dug a pit because of the wind. The sand (a former pool patio) was pretty wet and soaked a lot of the heat with the wind, taking 2 1/2 hours instead of 1. The chicken and rice ("101 things to do in a Dutch oven" recipe) turned out great.

Any tips on keeping enough coal ready to replace/increase heat that doesn't waste too much?ImageImage

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clamlamp » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 am

Are you using home Depot canvas drop cloth?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby HarleyCamper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 am

clamlamp wrote:Are you using home Depot canvas drop cloth?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Harbor freight 9x12 ft drop cloth. I only needed 2 and had no seams.

HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals