New Reading Lights!

Anything electric, AC or DC

New Reading Lights!

Postby shootr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:18 pm

I was getting tired of banging into the original lights, and they would glare straight down into our eyes, and the switches were getting super stiff - so it was time to figure out something new.

I also wanted more USB outlets for charging devices, so figured I'd just put in 12V lighter sockets, with low profile USB adapters, and top it off with tiny little circuit board lights. Picked up a couple blank plastic outlet plates to cover the existing holes, and punched them for the lighter sockets.

The overall height is now maybe 3/4", if that!

The lights turn on and off with a tap, and they shine horizontal instead of straight down. I'll post a pic tonight of how well they work (if they do what I'm hoping :worship: )

shootr
Silver Donating Member

Re: New Reading Lights!

Postby shootr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Oh buddy - perfect!
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 am

• Great idea for lighting! I never knew those little "keychain" USB lights were available
  • Yitee USB-LED lights.JPG
    Yitee USB-LED lights.JPG (97.08 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
    ...I have several places to use them, and having one on a keychain , or in my cellphone pouch (I carry my Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930A -with Otterbox Defender case- in a Nite-Ize holster), would be a very handy item at times.
    cellphone, case, holster-pouch.jpg
    cellphone, case, holster-pouch.jpg (171.76 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
    I also carry a small OTG dongle, so I bet I could use it for extra light if I also carried one of the LED keychain lights, too. I also want the other type of small USB-A LED light I just found, too, that would work as a map light in my vehicles (I always have a cigarette lighter plug-USB charger on hand), or to light the keyboard of my laptop at night. Neat devices!
  • X-Dragon bendable USB-LED lights.JPG
    X-Dragon bendable USB-LED lights.JPG (91.66 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby shootr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 pm

The bendable stalk lites were plan B if this didn't work, but got a thumbs up from the missus so all is good. So nice to not have the glare anymore.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:59 pm

We plan on something similar for our reading lights. We found these at Costco. They include AAA batteries and there was no indication on the package that they allowed external power, but they included a mysterious jack. A little experimentation with plugs from the junk box, and we found the match. Ordered the cords from Amazon.
We experimented with a version of the round black USB jacks, but I happened to have the radio on, and we found they put out a lot of electrical noise. Not that we plan to listen to the radio a lot while camping, but still... We finally settled on these that are designed to use regular house-hold switch plates. But there are two problems with them. One is that the cord comes out the bottom and so it wouldn't fit in a standard Carlon outlet box. Also, they have an annoying green LED that doesn't seem to be necessary, and would be way too bright in a teardrop cabin at night. A little minor rocket surgery fixed both problems. (The one in the upper left is fixed, the one in the upper right is waiting for the doc.) I did have to use 5 minute epoxy (not the same stuff used with fiberglass) to repair a crack or too in the plastic case after I forced the back off. :FNP

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby shootr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Added shorty cords and magnets to stick the phones to. Now we can see what time it is at night, and even watch a movie in comfort if we want.

Now I just need to hang in there for 10 more days and we can go use it all! Image
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets