Johnny's Custom

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Johnny's Custom

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Did you cut your door with a router and template?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mattsokj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 am

tony.latham wrote:Did you cut your door with a router and template?

T

I cut out the door from my wall template intending to use if for the door template, however I made it with rounded corners. I decided that bending aluminum trim around the tight radius of the door corners would be a challenge. Since the door template was already cut with rounded corners I couldn't use that. So instead, I squared up the corners in the door cut-out hole in the wall template and used that for my template to cut the doors. I used a 1/4" upcut bit and a guide bushing. The 1/4" gap should leave room for the trim.

I more or less used the technique from Scott's Workshop youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnaVmH79XWMSWVyaRsXLxng
mattsokj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm

mattsokj wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Did you cut your door with a router and template?

T

I cut out the door from my wall template intending to use if for the door template, however I made it with rounded corners. I decided that bending aluminum trim around the tight radius of the door corners would be a challenge. Since the door template was already cut with rounded corners I couldn't use that. So instead, I squared up the corners in the door cut-out hole in the wall template and used that for my template to cut the doors. I used a 1/4" upcut bit and a guide bushing. The 1/4" gap should leave room for the trim.

I more or less used the technique from Scott's Workshop youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnaVmH79XWMSWVyaRsXLxng

Thanks a bunch.

I’m building #4 In my brain right now. I’ve used commercial doors in the past so this will be a departure.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 pm

beautiful work! :applause:
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby willrothfuss » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Very nice so far!! I am contemplating a build so it is great to follow one in progress. I love the Vestibule, too, but it is way out of my price range. :(

A couple of questions. The trailer is the one thing that scares me. You said you used the NT Ironton, and changed the axle? What did you use? Is it a torsion axle? Did you move the axle? Also you said you extended the tongue. Any welding involved? What size wheels will you go with?

Look forward to your future posts!

Will
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby mattsokj » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:50 pm

willrothfuss wrote:Very nice so far!! I am contemplating a build so it is great to follow one in progress. I love the Vestibule, too, but it is way out of my price range. :(

A couple of questions. The trailer is the one thing that scares me. You said you used the NT Ironton, and changed the axle? What did you use? Is it a torsion axle? Did you move the axle? Also you said you extended the tongue. Any welding involved? What size wheels will you go with?

Look forward to your future posts!

Will

Hi Will, thanks. It's been fun to build. Your post also made me realize I'm way behind in my pictures. The sides and ceiling are on as well as the bulkhead. It actually looks more like a teardrop now. Hope to get those posted soon.

I ordered the axle from R & P Carriages. It's not a torsion axle. My reason for needing the new axle was that there were no brake flanges on the axle that came with the Ironton and I'd prefer to have brakes. I also haven't moved the axle (yet?). I'm going to wait until it's all together and then check the weight distribution and tongue weight. I cantilevered the teardrop towards the front and extended the tongue which should put the axle in about the right spot without actually moving it's mounting point. No welding needed for the tongue. I just drilled holes and bolted it in place.

It's been a fun project with lots of learning as I go. So as long as your willing to learn as you go there's nothing to worry about. Hopefully you will be inspired to start your build.
mattsokj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby willrothfuss » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Sounds good. Since the axle is bolted on as well, I guess that is no big deal to move. I don't have a trailer hitch yet- that would be my first thing. To be honest, I'm not sure how I would control brakes using my 2014 Subaru Forester as a tow vehicle. Researching it, iIt looks complicated. What is your braking set up?

I may stick to a trailer well under 1000 lbs and skip the brakes.

Also, is there anything you have to do to switch to the larger wheels? Would the axle that comes with the Ironton support larger wheels? You can see I m a mechanical idiot. Sorry for all the questions. If anyone else wants to jump in that's fine. I see I have to do more trailer research.

Will
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby mattsokj » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:24 pm

willrothfuss wrote:Sounds good. Since the axle is bolted on as well, I guess that is no big deal to move. I don't have a trailer hitch yet- that would be my first thing. To be honest, I'm not sure how I would control brakes using my 2014 Subaru Forester as a tow vehicle. Researching it, iIt looks complicated. What is your braking set up?

I may stick to a trailer well under 1000 lbs and skip the brakes.

Also, is there anything you have to do to switch to the larger wheels? Would the axle that comes with the Ironton support larger wheels? You can see I m a mechanical idiot. Sorry for all the questions. If anyone else wants to jump in that's fine. I see I have to do more trailer research.

Will

My trailer will be well under 2000 lbs so brakes aren't required and I think most people would just skip them but I've never liked the feeling of being pushed by a trailer when stopping. I haven't installed the brake controller in my tv yet. I'm not %100 sure I'll be using the same tv when I'm finished. I'll have to defer to others on the factors that go into the bigger wheels. About all I've paid attention to was the bolt pattern so far. I'm also hoping to find wheels with an offset that will take up some the the space between the trailer wall and the wheel.
mattsokj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mattsokj » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am

And presto chango it's done! Turns out I'm better at finishing things than I am about posting progress. Just finished it last weekend. Time to take it out before it gets too cold.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with all my free time that I'll have when I'm not working on the teardrop.

mattsokj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Wow! Very nice!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby redbicycle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 am

Excellent build. I enjoyed your build log. Where did you buy your door hinges?
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mattsokj » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:08 am

redbicycle wrote:Excellent build. I enjoyed your build log. Where did you buy your door hinges?

I got the door hinges and handles as well as all the trim from https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com
mattsokj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Get out before its to cold??? You have the Propex!! And I'll say I'm jealous. :lol:

We need a full review on the Propex after your first trip.

Beautiful teardrop by the way.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 am

KTM_Guy wrote:Get out before its to cold??? You have the Propex!! And I'll say I'm jealous. :lol:

We need a full review on the Propex after your first trip.

Beautiful teardrop by the way.

Todd

I concur... :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MikeG2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Lovely looking teardrop. There just seems to be the odd few hundred photos missing..........
MikeG2
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals