Adding width to bolt-together trailer using wood

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Adding width to bolt-together trailer using wood

Postby EZ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:24 pm

I am thinking about adding 6" of width on each side (no length) of my NT trailer using lumber, sort of as seen below but with the wood level with the side rails. Build the additions (4), paint them and bolt them to the sides. Use moisture-protected Luaun strips or some other material over the cross members to bring them up to the level of the side rails, or add wood cross members as below. Floor ply over the top would tie it all together. Add foam insulation from underneath and screw/glue to the floor. Seems it could save 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" in height for my standy. Anyone done this or seen this method used in the past? It seems somewhat unusual for this forum.

The picture below is from a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8JGdkkfAU

EZ

EZ
Donating Member

Re: Adding width to bolt-together trailer using wood

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 pm

A better way is to build a torsion box floor and bolt it to the trailer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_box
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:06 am

On my last camper I did a normal floor made up of 2 X 3's on edge with a 1/2" ply floor on top of the trailer frame. I am hoping to save the height of a floor on top of the trailer for a semi-standy. A boxed floor can retain moisture and really isn't needed; the camper is a torsion box on its own.
EZ
Donating Member

Postby EZ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Found this picture on the forum somewhere..... Looks like I am not the only loony thinking of this. :R

EZ
Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Looks like a good way to me, bit lighter too, I Built the frame on top, but have under floor storage and also can lift my trailer off the frame if needed. Guess it depends on your requirements
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 am

Really that is a lot of weight. How about just a build up of a 4x8 2" EPS foam sheet. With upside down shelf brackets bolted around the outside flush with the top of the foam. Then lay 1/2 ply down for your floor. A lot lighter(and easy) :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby EZ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am

KennethW, that is not my picture above with what looks possibly like treated wood. I am considering just some 2 X 4 material on the sides only to extend out 8". More like what the top photo suggests (also not my picture). I can see that as resulting in saving maybe 2 -3" in the height. If I flip the axle that might save another 2 1/2 inches. For a standy on a trailer that has like a 20" high deck that is a lot.

On the other hand the ability to remove the camper for some reason in the future is something to think about....

EZ
EZ
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets