Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-Foru

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Here Goes with My Cargo Trailer Conversion, In this Sub-

Postby CaleyAnn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Hank, Unless I had a bad day, the vent louvers will shed the dust and rain. The solid part of the louvers flares out from the top. It kind of looks like they are upside down, but really aren't. Now that you have said something, I have to get a flashlight and look, just to make sure.

I just looked. Those louvers completely cover the openings. Only way moisture would get in is if I were driving in the rain. If that is a necessity, I can always cover the vents with duct tape temporarily.

EDITED: I managed to find the putty type sealant that you suggested. I will have a lot left over. All I will do is slice strips out of the strips to create the size I need for my louvers.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby CaleyAnn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:21 pm

I am a few steps closer to getting started with the electrical installation. I picked up the screws I need to install the ventilation fans, and also picked up an electrical connector kit from AutoZone. Since I do not have a very thick wall to install thing in. I decided to get a large electrical hobby box to hold most of my electrical things. I will install the switches on the front, including the battery cutoff switch. I will put any other electrical things inside, such as the grounding bar.

I also decided that I would need power during the day, so I ordered a 2000 watt portable generator. I somehow wonder how a 46 pound unit can be called portable. Guess it is for you Guys. Anyway, It should fill a dual purpose, charging the battery generators and one deep cycle battery power unit I have. Since a lot of places have quiet hours, I will have to run on these batteries at night. From what I can determine, this should run a 5000 BTU A/C, if and whenever I decide one is needed in the future.

Since I have ordered this generator, I need help on just how I connect this generator to my internal wiring. Since my wiring is for 12VDC, what kind of receptacle do I need for the outside of the trailer? Also, since I getting this generator, what kind of outside receptacle can I install on the outside of the trailer to bring in the 120VAC. I figure I might as well have one wall setup with two sockets on the inside for that just in case I tote along something requiring 120VAC.

All of this stuff I am getting will come in handy when I ever do join you big boys that have a truck/SUV that can haul around say 2500 pounds. That would mean I could eventually have a larger trailer to play with. :-) Some of the items I have gotten are considered with this possibility happening.

Anyway, have to wait until Sunday to do any work. Have my normal work up at the observatory, and then I have to fill in at the local star party on Saturday night. So Sunday will see me pulling down the side plywood panels to install the four fans, then doing soldering work to run wires over to that control panel/box. I tested those fans today with my 12VDC plug in power supply. The worked fine, and I was able to determine which way the wind blows. Knowing this allows me to install two for intake and two for exhaust.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

CaleyAnn wrote:Hank, Unless I had a bad day, the vent louvers will shed the dust and rain. The solid part of the louvers flares out from the top. It kind of looks like they are upside down, but really aren't. Now that you have said something, I have to get a flashlight and look, just to make sure.

I just looked. Those louvers completely cover the openings. Only way moisture would get in is if I were driving in the rain. If that is a necessity, I can always cover the vents with duct tape temporarily.

EDITED: I managed to find the putty type sealant that you suggested. I will have a lot left over. All I will do is slice strips out of the strips to create the size I need for my louvers.

I'm glad you are happy with the install of the vents. One handy-helpful hint about using the buytl tape, toss it in the freezer
for 20 to 30 minutes before you need it. As it warms it get a wee bit goopy and wants to fight with ya. Just cut lengths of the
tape to make a square around the hole, install the vents keeping the open sections pointing down then trim the excess off
after you've tightened the fasteners to your satisfaction. Easy-peezy , nice an squeezy.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey Caley Ann,
To answer the question about connecting generator to trailer, I need to know how you planned to recharge batteries. Also, if you are going to have 120v ac you really should have a power center or at least a breaker panel.
A power center like WFCO 8935 or PD4045 has a converter/charger that converts 120ac to 12vdc and charges the batteries. It also has fused circuits for DC wiring, and a breaker panel for ac circuits.
If you were running the genny you would feed 120ac from genny to power center which would supply 12vdc to fused circuits and charge batteries and supply 120vac to ac breakers.
They run about 150.00 but it is more convenient than trying to do those functions separately. You would only need a 30amp RV or Marine power inlet outside. Then you could plug in at campsites or RV parks and with an adapter you can plug into regular 120vac outlets. I don't know how your genny is set up, mine has a 30 amp RV outlet and 120 vac outlets but no 12 volt.
if you want to outline your electrical plans maybe I can be of more help. I'll let the others chime in first.
Here is a typical diagram of a system.
Here are some links,
http://www.springdew.com/blog/wp-conten ... PD4045.pdf
http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8935-35-amp/
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/Epic ... gL81_D_BwE
Various types of cords and adapters
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=30+ ... nsion+Cord

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:44 pm

McDave, Thanks for all those links. Right now this tiny trailer will not have 120 VAC, even thought the generator I purchased will produce it.

But for now I am just trying to figure a way of running the power from the generator to the inside of the trailer. That way all I have to do is plug in my 120 VAC transformer that charges my Lithium Ion Battery Generator. I can have my solar panels charging the other battery, which is a 26 ah Duracell Powerpack 800. Right now I do not even know what kind of special plug this Yamaha engine driven generator uses to plug into an RV. When I know that I can order the receptacle, and mount it.

But I am looking into how to mount a rack in the narrow space on my single trailer tongue. The hard part is trying to figure out how I am going to get the support structure on the ends attached to the trailer framework. Once I get that framework installed, then it is very easy to purchase one of those nice metal lockable battery boxes, and put in two 6 volt golf cart batteries that were suggested. This is probably not going to happen until later this year. I need that time to figure things out, and line up someone who can help me get the framework bolted or welded to the trailer

Hank, Thank you for the how to on the Butyl sealant tape. I just hope that the summer heat around here does not make this stuff flow. Would be kind of useless to have installed the stuff, only to find that it has flowed from the top of the louver down to the bottom.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

The Buytl will skin over when it cures so not to worry about it drooping off the job.

AS for the gen. connection to your trailer, I've just used one of these on mine
https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-200BBIW- ... 9QBZSMG928
You can wire some 3 wire electrical cord to it on the inside and either go directly to your
" 120 VAC transformer " or, wire it to a power strip which is what I did so I could operate my
Oxygen concentrator and operate an oil filled heater. Just be sure to get the correct sized
hole saw (1 7/8"), makes life a whole bunch easier ... Got it from Amazon

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Hank, Tanks with Treads for the link. Still won't know just what type of connectors this generator has until it arrives next week.

I used the silly putty. That is what I call it now. All I needed was two feet of the stuff, as I sliced it lengthwise into 3/8 wide strips. It conformed to the louver curves nicely, and sticks like crazy. All four vents are now silly puttied.

What do you think about these boat windows for my tiny van. They are the only ones that will fit between the metal support studs, as the studs are 14 inches on center. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OHMWQXQ/_e ... P94C&psc=0 Only drawback is that when they are open, unless I can find a way to install a screen, they can let bugs/pests in. I am guessing that if I do get a pair, one for each side, this Butyl sealant tape will be great for the outside.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:54 pm

If all you are wanting is to get the 120VAC in from the Generator and use it to power a few small devices with no distribution, you can just put an electric cable hatch on the floor near where you want to put the power through and just get a power strip with a built in 15A breaker (you can find ones with 20A also) and you are all set. Following is what I am talking about: I used this particular hatch on my first CTC for a while before I wired in an electrical panel and used a power strip.

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-541- ... s=RV+parts

Here is a good power strip with 15A circuit breaker included. Nice and safe as well as has cord management. Can be hung on the wall also.

https://www.amazon.com/Bestten-Outlet-D ... WAR6Q834BE

Good luck!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am

Good thinking Hank and flboy. Keep it simple.
Caley Ann, you can also possibly charge your House battery(s) from your tow vehicle. This is a handy option as you will arrive at campsite with a fully charged battery, even at night. Also, if you have a fridge you can run that while you travel. You just need to wire up for a seven pin connector. Here is a link to all the good info for trailer and tow vehicle wiring.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

McDave

PS perhaps some gussets would do the trick for mounting the rack to the tongue. Basically triangular pieces welded or bolted to the bottom of the rack and then to the side of the tongue. It transfers the weight from the ends of the rack to the sides of the tongue. Just an example...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Don, Thanks Very simple solution. This generator will, as all other power generating things I get, be used both on the road, and at home.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm

CaleyAnn, Howdy;

The power strip is sorta like the one that I use. I just cut the plug off and wired it to the Marinco
outlet, through the skin. Just a suggestion...

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Don, Your links gave me ideas, and this is what I came up with https://www.amazon.com/Conference-Reces ... J6562&th=1

This allows me to mount it to the face of me electric hobby box that will contain my 12 VDC ON/OFF setup. I have a ton of space inside the box to organize my wiring and grounding. With this, all I have to do is run the plug outside through the little hole, and plug into the generator. I'm trying to keep everything electrical in one place, and as compact as possible. The difficult task is running the wires. I am hoping this nice Marine grade wire I purchased can be fit between the insulation, and the wood paneling. Will find out this weekend when I start work on the electrical.
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:47 am

Unless you have another circuit breaker this is running through, I think I would find something with a built in breaker like Don suggested.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby CaleyAnn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Turned out to be nice outside, so out to the backyard to work on some of the electrical.

I got my intake and exhaust fan wired, mounted and tested. They are doing what they are supposed to.

I also got the big electrical everything box installed. As I install the new electrical devices, I can now run the wires to this box. Had a heck of a time cutting the four holes for the wires on all four sides. They are really terrible, but then, who will see them but myself. I need to find some kind of rolled rubber padding to install in the opening to prevent wire chaffing, something like a very flexible rubber tube that is sliced down one side. That way I just slip it on

Everything like my Television and other types of entertainment equipment will go up on the forward bulkhead like I placed the electrical box.
Attachments
Start of Electrical.JPG
Start of Electrical.JPG (193.21 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
Caley Ann Hand
CaleyAnn
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm

CaleyAnn wrote: Had a heck of a time cutting the four holes for the wires on all four sides. They are really terrible, but then, who will see them but myself.

Hole saw?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions