SHORE POWER & INVERTER USING SAME OUTLETS THROUGHOUT TRAILER

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: SHORE POWER & INVERTER USING SAME OUTLETS THROUGHOUT TRA

Postby DWT77 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:11 pm

bdosborn wrote:Make sure you don't let the ATS switch over to the inverter when shore power is connected. While the ATS transfer is a break-before-make connection, there isn't a center off delay - the transfer is made quickly. Any large motors that are running (like A/C) will back-feed current that is out of phase with the inverter and create a short circuit. I took my ATS out and replaced it with a 3 way switch with a center off position for that reason. Also, I thought the ATS was a power hog as mine pulled about 10W when the contacts were holding in to inverter power.

Here's the type of switch I used:

Rotary Cam Switch

Bruce

Bruce I had the same thought about the inverter using power to energize the relay. That is the reason I moved the N and H to the normally closed contacts. That way it wouldn't have to use power while in use
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm

bdosborn wrote:P.S. Here's the completed switch, I installed it in a small electrical box with LED lights that come on when the source is available.

I used MC cable for all my 120V wiring as I wanted it protected and make it clear to any future owners that it was not a 12V circuit. I wouldn't use a box any smaller than the one I used as it was a tight fit to get everything in there. It's about 2/3 the size of the ATS it replaced.

Bruce

That is a good solution especially with the led light. I like the safety aspect of it as well. I have already purchased the ATS switch but that is something I will keep in mind for the future.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 pm

DWT77 wrote:Bruce I had the same thought about the inverter using power to energize the relay. That is the reason I moved the N and H to the normally closed contacts. That way it wouldn't have to use power while in use

Yeah, I did that too and the ATS control module burned out after about 9 months or so. I guess its not designed to supply relay power for continuous use.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 pm

bdosborn wrote:
DWT77 wrote:Bruce I had the same thought about the inverter using power to energize the relay. That is the reason I moved the N and H to the normally closed contacts. That way it wouldn't have to use power while in use

Yeah, I did that too and the ATS control module burned out after about 9 months or so. I guess its not designed to supply relay power for continuous use.

Bruce

Well dang lol. I might be switching over to that manual switch sooner that I thought
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 pm

I would just wire it up with shore power being the normal source and turn the inverter off when you don't need it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets