No. 19 Too Cold to build ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

No. 19 Too Cold to build ...

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:42 pm

So we sat around drawing up a simple trailer ( a "could be" standy ) that would be simple to build but offer the structural and aerodynamic benefits of the rounded top without all the work … Plans are pretty much self explanatory , and yes there is a wooden framework that helps those who aren’t quite sure of the strength of Foam yet … and a good place to hang all kinds of things on … ( your built in “hard points” )
Make it the height and width you want/need !!! ;) Put doors and windows where it suits you ... :thumbsup: Just an idea to sit around and ponder in front the fire with your favorite beverage ...…

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: No. 19 Too Cold to build ...

Postby aggie79 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 am

Another nice concept GPW! :thumbsup:

BTW...My wife and I are going to be down your way third week in April. Haven't been down to the Big Easy since pre-Katrina. Looking forward to becoming reacquainted with N.O.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 am

Hopefully the weather will be NICE by then !!! :thumbsup: :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Is there some advantage to all those angles on the roof? Seems to me it would be simpler to have a flat roof and slope it towards the front. Your side door could be taller that way too.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 am

The angles adds strength , much like the strength of a tube , without being so hard to make .. Also helps in crosswinds …

Much simpler to make a BOX , yes … for those that like boxes … ( not that there’s anything wrong with a box ... ;) )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 am

A curve is even better as for strength and no corners to leak. Just cut every 1' or so leaving a 1/4 inch to flex. Put polyurethane adhesive on the top of the walls and use ratchet straps to hold in place as the glue sets. Ratchet straps is the key to a easy curved roof. Do not be scared of the curve. It is easier then you would think. Run a palm sander over the curve to remove the steps and you are good to go.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CanuckShooter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 pm

GPW wrote:The angles adds strength , much like the strength of a tube , without being so hard to make .. Also helps in crosswinds …

Much simpler to make a BOX , yes … for those that like boxes … ( not that there’s anything wrong with a box ... ;) )

Well KISS was a builders principle at one time? Was just wondering if all those angles would be worth all the additional effort.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:46 am

Guys , not every Principle applies to everybody . We’ve built boxes, and Tubes (FoamStream) , and have tried to present many an idea that “could” be built by the average home based builder ... :thumbsup:

The real message is , absorb some of the ideas presented by the builders here , then Build what YOU like !!!

Ps . I really take great pains to make drawings that I can build … and if I can do it , so can you … ;)

Ken, RE: Curves …. Yes I LOVE the curves, and consider our FoamStream to be an advanced Foamie … Not something a beginner could tackle , unless they had well developed building skills , like You and me … 8)

CS, is it worth it ? .. I dunno’ It’s a matter if you’d rather cut angles ( hot wire and jig is suggested. ) or cut kerfing and bend curves …. But having cut both angles and kerfs , I think the Angles are a wee bit easier. Or you can just build a cracker box with none of either ( EASY ) .. all your choice , or better still build several , it’s really FUN. :D

As far as being too Cold to build , it’s already in the 80 ’s here ... :o Time to build !!! Before it gets Too HOT !!! :relaxing:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Well it was -32 C at our place this morning I have to wait awhile yet.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:10 am

Yes CS, “too COLD to build “ … as yet ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies