PoorMansFiberglass Undercarriage

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

PoorMansFiberglass Undercarriage

Postby KendaldaCosta » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Has anyone ever watersealed their undercarriage with PMF? I'm thinking about doing it in lieu of a tar paint/ liquid rubber/ epoxy. Thoughts?
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Re: PoorMansFiberglass Undercarriage

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:07 pm

I think using plasticore would be more durable and probably same cost with little to no maintenance. It's the stuff they make yard signs out of.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby KendaldaCosta » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:10 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:I think using plasticore would be more durable and probably same cost with little to no maintenance. It's the stuff they make yard signs out of.

I kind of would like it to be continuous and wrap up the sides a bit. I like the idea of a continuous barrier with no gaps. I assume you'd glue/screw the plasticore to the underside thus making holes for moisture? Correct me if i'm on the wrong track.
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Glue and seal it no screws. It's the underside and only subject to splashing so never submitted to same levels of moisture as roof and walls. Adhesives are a water barrier as well as the plasticore. No UV exposure so it will last a very long time. Simple not messy and very light.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby KendaldaCosta » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:Glue and seal it no screws. It's the underside and only subject to splashing so never submitted to same levels of moisture as roof and walls. Adhesives are a water barrier as well as the plasticore. No UV exposure so it will last a very long time. Simple not messy and very light.

That makes a lot of sense. Now the only problem is that I'm 5x10, so I likely would have some seams. Thus my leaning towards another solution.
Kendal
KendaldaCosta
Teardrop Builder

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 pm

KendaldaCosta wrote:
linuxmanxxx wrote:Glue and seal it no screws. It's the underside and only subject to splashing so never submitted to same levels of moisture as roof and walls. Adhesives are a water barrier as well as the plasticore. No UV exposure so it will last a very long time. Simple not messy and very light.

That makes a lot of sense. Now the only problem is that I'm 5x10, so I likely would have some seams. Thus my leaning towards another solution.
A seam underneath isn't a problem glued as the glue is a barrier sealing the seam. Plus it will never have standing water so it's not really relevant as long as you install it correctly. Exposed canvas can absorb and rot but plasticore can't do either.

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:41 pm

I have used plasticore, aka Coroplast, as in underbelly material, and so far it has held up fine. As far as seams go, you can just use tape designed for adhesion to polyethylene.

With that said, I'm not seeing the clear benefits over an elastomeric coating, unless you're using some type of OSB or plywood that doesn't take water-based coatings well.

The only "maintenance-free" underbelly, IMHO, is aluminum sheeting.

You can also look into a polyethylene-impregnated woven fabric, often used for RV's and mobile homes, that commonly goes by the brand name "Darco." Again, it is pretty easy to patch up if damaged.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Agree on the minimal moisture and splashing. This is the underside of my 10 year old tear. I've even had it off road muddin' with a 4x4 tv. I'm rewiring the cable to the tv here to use a 7 wire cable.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 pm

The underside of trailers doesn't need any more protection than a coat of paint, IMHO. Start looking under old trailers, all the ones I looked at were only protected by paint and looked just fine. We painted ours with wood stair paint and 10 years later it looks like new.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 pm

You seem to be looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist. Remember anything that will keep water out will also keep water in. How often are you towing in the rain?
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques