Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby KCStudly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 am

TB2 does not stick to Bondo well.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:22 pm

KCStudly wrote:TB2 does not stick to Bondo well.
That's good to know! Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby DWT77 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 pm

clamlamp wrote:After I finished installing the skin I got excited and mocked up the windows, fan, and driver side door for fun. It felt so rewarding to see the finish line. Of course I still have a long way to go.

I finished the face frame on my front cabinet so I installed it. I have a little bit of gapping up there so I might put some accent lighting. The center will be USB and voltage meter.

Next I plan to start on the galley hatch.ImageImageImageImageImage

That looks sharp! Good job
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby clamlamp » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 pm

DWT77 wrote:
clamlamp wrote:After I finished installing the skin I got excited and mocked up the windows, fan, and driver side door for fun. It felt so rewarding to see the finish line. Of course I still have a long way to go.

I finished the face frame on my front cabinet so I installed it. I have a little bit of gapping up there so I might put some accent lighting. The center will be USB and voltage meter.

Next I plan to start on the galley hatch.ImageImageImageImageImage

That looks sharp! Good job
Thanks dwt77!

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Feeling under the weather today so I was only able to spackle the trailer and sand at little bit before I felt exhausted. I took the advice of people and used a lights spackle to fill in the staple holes and unevenness. I was really hoping to finish the skin this week so I could work on it during spring break at home but my body isn't cooperating. I really appreciate all the help from everyone in this forum. It has definitely helped prevent many mistakes and I hope others can use this knowledge on their builds.Image

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 pm

The cabin skinning is turning out nice.. will be good and smooth when you're finished.. :thumbsup:
You mean, you want to move it home and give up that great work shop? :thinking:
Get some rest and feeling better real soon..
With school and working on the tear, you've been busy,,, take a break and enjoy spring break.. David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 pm

I was told to try to smooth and level out the skin before applying canvas, what would you recommend to smooth with? Spackle, Bondo, wood filler?

For mine, I used a very messy epoxy filler; however, I have since used Titebond (TB2 or TB3) mixed with sawdust with excellent results on many things and it's easy to sand, too. That gives you a 4th option!!! :lol:

Your teardrop is so smooth and beautiful that I doubt you even have any voids, etc. (You really are doing a wonderful job! Mine doesn't come close to yours.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:18 am

Staryder61 wrote:The cabin skinning is turning out nice.. will be good and smooth when you're finished..
You mean, you want to move it home and give up that great work shop? :thinking:
Get some rest and feeling better real soon..
With school and working on the tear, you've been busy,,, take a break and enjoy spring break.. David
I'll rest at the campground in my benroy when I finish. Lol.

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 am

S. Heisley wrote:
I was told to try to smooth and level out the skin before applying canvas, what would you recommend to smooth with? Spackle, Bondo, wood filler?

For mine, I used a very messy epoxy filler; however, I have since used Titebond (TB2 or TB3) mixed with sawdust with excellent results on many things and it's easy to sand, too. That gives you a 4th option!!!

Your teardrop is so smooth and beautiful that I doubt you even have any voids, etc. (You really are doing a wonderful job! Mine doesn't come close to yours.)
Thanks s.heisley! You are too kind, but I take photos at great distance so I can trick people in thinking there are no mistakes. I can see why people build more than one now. I've learned a lot along the way and if I were to build another it would definitely be better.

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:50 am

clamlamp --> Thanks s.heisley! You are too kind, but I take photos at great distance so I can trick people in thinking there are no mistakes. I can see why people build more than one now. I've learned a lot along the way and if I were to build another it would definitely be better.

I need to remember the picture at a distance trick.. :thinking: It looks great no matter the distance.. :thumbsup:

Where's the update?? Spring break, you've had time to do more.. :D

And what's this
if I were to build another

already thinking about it, Yes?

What type of fenders are you planning on? I need to think about these while doing other things..

Camping Time is not that far away,, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
clamlamp --> Thanks s.heisley! You are too kind, but I take photos at great distance so I can trick people in thinking there are no mistakes. I can see why people build more than one now. I've learned a lot along the way and if I were to build another it would definitely be better.

I need to remember the picture at a distance trick.. :thinking: It looks great no matter the distance..

Where's the update?? Spring break, you've had time to do more.. :D

And what's this
if I were to build another

already thinking about it, Yes?

What type of fenders are you planning on? I need to think about these while doing other things..

Camping Time is not that far away,, David
Hey David
I got sick then baby got sick so I haven't done much over the past week. You are jamming on your Raven!

I think I'm going to do a wood fender then PMF it then use bed liner over it. In terms of shape, I want to connect it to a step for the door then storage behind the fender. You?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:01 am

Started on the galley area. Used a 3\8" washer and trace the shape of the rear Galley on the plywood then to shape. I use the cutouts from the initial Galley Hatch side pieces and attached a piece and copy their shapes. After copying and cutting out and flush trimming to make exact pieces, I use the quarter inch rabbet bit then cut out top and bottom and then flush trim bit to clean up. I did that process twice to take my copy pieces to 1/2 inch and then used a a plastic sanding discs I found that was two iches and then trace my side pieces to make my gusset pieces. I traced the front side with a 3\16 washer. After cutting out and sanding I glue them up with Gorilla Glue and cleaned up the excess.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 am

Started working on the galley cabinets. I had to work around this giant refrigerator which was cutting into my storage area but I figure more food options the better, especially with a child. I decided to make my cabinet boxes with wood strips on top, bottom, and back to save weight. I edge banded with three quarter by three quarter maple cuz I'm sure the galley may take a beating. I ended up topping the counter with half in Baltic birch to save weight. I still need to get the drawer slides to build the drawers and fridge slide.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 am

clam,, sorry to hear you and the baby were sick... :(
Our family has been too, off and on for a while.. everyone's better now.. :)

You have still moved on with the Benroy.. It's looking very good.. The maple will hold up very well in the galley area.. ;)
I like the detail, you go into when working on it.. the pictures are very helpful, it will give others help when they are working on theirs.

I've been going back and forth about the fenders.. thinking :thinking: more along the same line of making them and glassing or PMF.. so they will last..
Still have a lot to do before starting on them..

Stay well and safe,,, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Put finish on the counter and installed alluminum trim. Then made the slide for the fridge using 20 inch drawer slides. It sticks out a little because the cabinets are recessed due to the gussets. It's a plus because it allows for full drawer extension and ease of opening the fridge.ImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals