6X12 Featherlite Cargo Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6X12 Featherlite Cargo Conversion

Postby 7sparky7 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:43 pm

More “stuff” acquired while still waiting somewhat patiently for my trailer to be built.

1. Link solar weatherproof cable entry gland for solar panel cables
From amazon. $18.99

2. Camco rv vent insulator. From Amazon $11.24

3. Pure clean camp shower. Pcshpt14. From Amazon $19.99

4. Anderson Camper leveler. 3604. 2each. From Amazon. $41.60 ea.

5. Camco 40043 water filter. From Amazon. $17.87

6. Hopkins 08526 levels. 2ea. From Amazon. $8.13 ea.

7. Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 Maximum power point charge controller for lithium battery.
From Amazon. $599.00

8. Tristar digital meter for charge controller. From Amazon. $105.00

9. LG solar panels. Model LG315N1C-G4. 315 Watts each.
Picked up two of these from local electric supply house CED in Asheville NC. $250.00 ea.

I’m going to call the Dealer tomorrow and check the what is status on my cargo trailer.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby 7sparky7 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 pm

......... I also got .......

1. Renator M11-0660R water pressure regulator. From Amazon. $34.95

2. Viair 00073 70P Air compressor. From Amazon. $42.50
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 am

I can't wait to see your build. I've been wanting to build a CT conversion for some time. Your build is giving me inspiration. Thank you for documenting the costs.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 7sparky7 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Finally got home with my Featherlite trailer from the dealer on Monday after over 4 months of waiting from the date of order.

I got it situated and leveled where I’m going to be transitioning it into a cool camper.

First thing was getting all the interior OSB panels off of the walls so I can insulate. Several of the screwheads were rounded out so I had to chip away some of the wood so I could get a bite on the screw head and turn it with vice grips to get it out.

I was a little disappointed at the quality of the wiring. Some of the wires were rubbing up against sharp aluminum edges and I’m sure would have cut through and given me problems down the road, other places just had a little bit of putty between the wire and the sharp edges and I’m sure they would’ve cut through overtime also. I’ll put some protective plastic conduit in those places.

Also had a little bit of rain and I noticed about a dozen rivets all around the top edge of the walls were leaking water, I’ll have to go around and seal all those with some good sealer, any recommendations?

I’m also looking where I can buy a couple of double pane vertical sliding windows, about 13 inches wide and between 20 and 24 inches tall, any recommendations? And also any good installation instructions or videos?
Last edited by 7sparky7 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby 7sparky7 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Tried to upload a picture from my iPad, and this is the error I got. I did it according to the directions in the help section. Any ideas?

While uploading „F76609FB-E82C-44B5-8205-F18E2A0D6098.jpeg“ the following error occurred:
» The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB.
Please note this is set in php.ini and cannot be overridden.
You must enter your path and filename

This was also in the help menu, my photo file size was less than 8 MB.

“We modified the gallery so that it'll accept pictures up to 8 megs in size, and resize them automatically! :D

Mike...”
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Yay! :applause: I can't wait to see some pics. I use imgur If you are interested I can give you a few tips on using it.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby 7sparky7 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:31 pm

I would love to post some pictures. Just don’t know if I want to load an app and learn how to use it and go through the juggling of photos back-and-forth. Isn’t there a way to just load them straight from the pictures on my iPad?
I was really hoping loading pictures would be pretty straightforward and not so cumbersome.
I would really rather be working on trailer projects rather than sitting in front of my device trying to figure out how to get pictures to upload, I’ve already been trying to figure this out for almost an hour.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby 7sparky7 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Finally figured out I had to email pictures to myself, then text them to myself and then save them back to my iPad in order to get them reduced in size so they will load in the forum.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm

7sparky7 wrote:Finally figured out I had to email pictures to myself, then text them to myself and then save them back to my iPad in order to get them reduced in size so they will load in the forum.

I use Tapatalk to load pics and it really could not be any easier,especially from an iPad.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby 7sparky7 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:27 pm

EZDog wrote:
7sparky7 wrote:Finally figured out I had to email pictures to myself, then text them to myself and then save them back to my iPad in order to get them reduced in size so they will load in the forum.

I use Tapatalk to load pics and it really could not be any easier,especially from an iPad.

Cool, I’ll check it out, thanks.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Also I see that the place I linked too earlier with the windows that I got still has them in stock and they are exactly the right width for the Featherlite walls but just are not thermopanes.
I searched high and low and for the money they are hard to beat.

On the other hand I bet you could go to any window maker and just have them made to your specs just like they do for homes and just make sure to spec tempered glass as part of the build.
Those cheap vinyl replacement windows seem ideal if priced right.

Certainly worth a few calls to find out and nothing to lose but time.

And the trailer looks great too!
Pretty much just like mine but new. :thumbsup:

Congratulations.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:39 am

Hey Sparky,
That is a nice rig. Sorry about the delays and such but all good things in time. I'm not sure why the manufactures don't put the effort into a proper wiring harness and installation for these trailers. I have yet to see a new trailer that didn't have issues waiting to happen. It is scary to think about what the wiring looks like in a pre-manufactured camper where everything is installed and all those connections and runs are hidden. This is definitely the time to do the job right.
Were those screws the double square #2 Robertson type? They look like Phillips and kinda work with Phillips drivers but the square bit will make life a lot easier.
So what do ya got planned ? Full on conversion with kitchen and bath, solar, hot tub and Margarita machine? Some leopard skin carpet and a mirror ball and couple lava lamps would be pretty sweet.... just sayin'
Well good luck with all that. Keep us posted.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby 7sparky7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:21 am

Ezdog-
Yes, lots of options trying to find the particular windows I want. I’ll probably end up having to order them. I just can’t find anything in stock anywhere for what I’m looking for. Double pane vertical slider.

Thanks for your input
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby 7sparky7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:16 am

McDave,
You are closer than you realize! Less the hot tub unfortunately. Those will show up on my travel destinations though.

Not sure what the name of the screws used by the factory are. They have a combo philips/square head.

Here is a rough draft of my floor plan. I’m also considering building an insulated 2 or 3 inch wall with a door and window next to the closed ramp, so I don’t have to deal with trying to insulate the ramp.

7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby EZDog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:00 pm

In my minds eye the Ramp is referred to as "The Porch" in which case the extra wall is what I am considering as well.
This would also be a great way to use a $100 AC unit in that wall rather than an expensive and heavy unit in the roof!

So many great ideas & possibilities!
EZDog
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions