Mini WolfeDen

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Mini WolfeDen

Postby WolfeDen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Note: Self plagiarized from my intro post:

I am starting the build after getting the teardrop bug last year. Want something that will be for the fishing and hunting trips that don't require tugging the regular RV, as well as a gear hauler for frequent Scout camps.

My idea is to build a slightly enlarged weekender (5' wide inside) with a sort of trolley top that will max out at about 5' tall. The rear of the trolley top will protect the top powered exhaust vent, which will not be a typical rv style. The rear will not slope as much as I will have a different configuration than the typical hatch for galley access. No commercial doors and 12v only. No A/C planned as the kidlets and I boondock. Led lights all around and PMF over sandwiched ply/foam/ply.

I am using an old snowbear trailer (53"x 92") and exchanging the old 4.8x12 tires with 145/12 for highway speed performance. No brakes but tow vehicle can easily handle it, despite the likelihood of a bit of over building.

Wanted to start months ago but it has been a cold, snowy winter.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mini WolfeDen

Postby WolfeDen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 pm

WolfeDen wrote:Note: Self plagiarized from my intro post:

I am starting the build after getting the teardrop bug last year. Want something that will be for the fishing and hunting trips that don't require tugging the regular RV, as well as a gear hauler for frequent Scout camps.

My idea is to build a slightly enlarged weekender (5' wide inside) with a sort of trolley top that will max out at about 5' tall. The rear of the trolley top will protect the top powered exhaust vent, which will not be a typical rv style. The rear will not slope as much as I will have a different configuration than the typical hatch for galley access. No commercial doors and 12v only. No A/C planned as the kidlets and I boondock. Led lights all around and PMF over sandwiched ply/foam/ply.

I am using an old snowbear trailer (53"x 92") and exchanging the old 4.8x12 tires with 145/12 for highway speed performance. No brakes but tow vehicle can easily handle it, despite the likelihood of a bit of over building.

Wanted to start months ago but it has been a cold, snowy winter.

So things have changed. I decided to keep the original rear hatch configuration and instead build an integrated tongue box. This will change the front profile, but will add ability to weight the tongue if necessary as well as provide inside storage for the two spare tires. The floor is now sandwiched and waterproofed underneath. Pic shows sidewall profiles cut. Since this pic, one sidewall is sandwiched and glued. Other sidewall and both doors are ready for glueing and will be put together this week. After that, the front floor will be extended and tongue box floor will be finished and waterproofed. Image

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WolfeDen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 am

Floor extension with space for a hidden cubby and tongue box floor built with the help of the 12 yr old assistant. He is getting good at working the circular saw, measuring and chalk lines. Sidewalls are now fully sandwiched and doors are assembled. Tonight we will waterproof the underside of the tongue box with asphalt. Image

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WolfeDen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 pm

It got too cold for the asphalt coating for the tongue box. Brought the can inside to warm up for tomorrow night. Got the rearward walls up ans sitting on the trailer floor, spars installed and some supports for the galley. Image

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PatrickM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Looking good :thumbsup:
Bad weather has also delay my build - not allowed to take wife's car out of garage until sure no snow anymore ------ it snowed today :cry:
Cheers, Patrick
Be kind and respectful to everyone - but dont take sh!t from nobody!
PatrickM
Teardrop Builder

Postby WolfeDen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 am

PatrickM wrote:Looking good
Bad weather has also delay my build - not allowed to take wife's car out of garage until sure no snow anymore ------ it snowed today :cry:
Cheers, Patrick
Thanks PatrickM. Unfortunately it is my build so the wife's car stays in while my truck suffers outside. It looks like spring may be here as I can see about half the yard now. We have had 115 days of January this year.

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WolfeDen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 am

A little delay due to weather and Scout camps, but more work has been done. I know these aren't great pics. More of the galley worked on. Gonna have to get more materials soon.Image

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WolfeDen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:05 pm

More work completed today. Both young one helped out today. The galley cabinets took some time for me as I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to woodworking. I am impressed at how much the cabinets stiffen the sidewalls.ImageImage

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WolfeDen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:49 pm

More progress this past weekend. The trolley top portion is visible and there will be a stargazer on top and some windows on the sides. The rear will have the ventilation fans with a door to seal it up when not in use.Image

WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WolfeDen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:03 pm

The build was stalled by multiple funerals but is now back on. Galley is almost complete, tongue box and roof are almost done. Wiring has also progressed. The trolley top is nixed and a hatch configuration is in place. Now to figure out how to raise and lower the hatch and sew a screen.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
WolfeDen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Sorry for your losses. :NC

You can use the memory of those to motivate you in your build. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:59 pm

looking good have fun with it.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals