Toyota Tacoma

All about towing and tow vehicles

Toyota Tacoma

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:07 pm

We're thinking of calling our new, soon to be built, teardrop "Jaws" because, after calculating the estimated weight, I turned to Shelly and said, "we're going to need a bigger truck!"

We're now thinking a Tacoma Crewcab TRD Offroad 4x4 may best meet our needs. Evidently, the maintenance troubles vary widely by year, and the statistics suggest we should stay away from 2016, so we're looking at 2017's or 18's. I read through the thread here about which tow vehicle people use, and the Tacoma owners seem happy.

Any advice, opinions, comments, things we should look for, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

We are currently planning on a 1600 (ish) lb teardrop and want to take it across country, as well as mild off-roading. Looked like we were approaching the limits of the jeep Wrangler (particularly GCWR), and I'd rather have plenty of margin, for longevity, handling, and safety.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Toyota Tacoma

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:52 pm

We really like ours.

I've been driving Tacomas for well over twenty years. Don't be concerned about whether it's a 2016, '17, or '18. Those are all third generation Tacos. Same parts. What will get your attention is the high cost of a used Tacoma. I believe they hold their value better than any other vehicle.

I've got 25,000 on my '16. No issues. Hopefully, it's as bulletproof as my 1st and 2nd gen Tacos.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:11 pm

I would suggest signing up at https://www.tacomaworld.com/
It's free
Lots of nice modifications that are simple and low cost
You need to check out the "third gen" area and the towing bible
Saved us a lot of headaches with our 2015.

First thing I would buy is a "Scanguage II" it allows you to monitor the transmission temp among other useful data.

And yes we love our double cab short bed
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Just got a 2015 DCLB (double-cab long-bed).

For a year I researched, finally settled on looking for a DCLB, put a topper and rack on it, in Gray. Late last year, driving by the local BMW dealer, in their used car lot they have a DCLB, WITH the topper, WITH the rack, in WHITE. Geesh... My wife ever so astutely pointed out 1) it's already done, no topper/rack shopping or installation, and 2) color doesn't have much to do with function.
Smart woman, dangit. :lol:

This one has the 4.0 liter V6, which on this drive train doesn't get great gas mileage. I haven't taken it on a long drive yet, but I'm thinking I'll get about 18, maybe 19mpg. Thing about the 2015s is they are the last year of the 2nd generation, which represents the culmination of a lot of lessons-learned on a mature design for Toyota, including the frame replacement debacle. I'm not counting on a lot of problems with it. Oh, and such will pull just about anything we discuss here.

Thing is, and I hesitate a bit to disclose this rumination here, I'm looking more at the topper on the long bed as my camping shelter. Don't have to tow it, or register/insure it separately, and it easily converts into the landscape rock hauler to support my wife's hobby. I'm still eventually going to build out the trailer camper, but for now this will probably be my fishing shelter. Here's a picture of the tratorious artifact:
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:35 pm

tony.latham wrote:I've been driving Tacomas for well over twenty years. Don't be concerned about whether it's a 2016, '17, or '18. Those are all third generation Tacos. Same parts. What will get your attention is the high cost of a used Tacoma. I believe they hold their value better than any other vehicle.

Tony

Thanks yet again Tony! We did notice they hold their value. I tend to keep good vehicles a long time, so hopefully we'll get our money's worth.

BTW, love your canoe.

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:I would suggest signing up at https://www.tacomaworld.com/
It's free
Lots of nice modifications that are simple and low cost
You need to check out the "third gen" area and the towing bible
Saved us a lot of headaches with our 2015.

First thing I would buy is a "Scanguage II" it allows you to monitor the transmission temp among other useful data.

And yes we love our double cab short bed

Good link--thank you!

We have a Warn winch/air compressor on one of our Jeeps right now, and we'll probably want to figure out how to mount it on the Tacoma, so we'll look for other's who have done it.

We'll check out the Scanguage II.

Thanks again Bill and Robi!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Glenn Butcher wrote:Just got a 2015 DCLB (double-cab long-bed).

For a year I researched, finally settled on looking for a DCLB, put a topper and rack on it, in Gray. Late last year, driving by the local BMW dealer, in their used car lot they have a DCLB, WITH the topper, WITH the rack, in WHITE. Geesh... My wife ever so astutely pointed out 1) it's already done, no topper/rack shopping or installation, and 2) color doesn't have much to do with function.
Smart woman, dangit. :lol:

This one has the 4.0 liter V6, which on this drive train doesn't get great gas mileage. I haven't taken it on a long drive yet, but I'm thinking I'll get about 18, maybe 19mpg. Thing about the 2015s is they are the last year of the 2nd generation, which represents the culmination of a lot of lessons-learned on a mature design for Toyota, including the frame replacement debacle. I'm not counting on a lot of problems with it. Oh, and such will pull just about anything we discuss here.

Thing is, and I hesitate a bit to disclose this rumination here, I'm looking more at the topper on the long bed as my camping shelter. Don't have to tow it, or register/insure it separately, and it easily converts into the landscape rock hauler to support my wife's hobby. I'm still eventually going to build out the trailer camper, but for now this will probably be my fishing shelter. Here's a picture of the tratorious artifact:

Hi Glenn,

We haven't yet decided on the cab or bed size. We want something with a reasonably short turning radius. Shelly's doing the research--she's the the car person in our family.

19 mpg is actually not much worse than our Wranglers get.

We thought about some sort of camper on the back of a pickup, but our style of camping (currently tent camping) is to find an area with a lot around it. After we set up camp, we spend the vacation driving to the things we want to see. Rather not take our camp with us. :)

Thank you for the comments!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
We haven't yet decided on the cab or bed size. We want something with a reasonably short turning radius. Shelly's doing the research--she's the the car person in our family.

The double-cab long-bed is definitely long-turning-radius. I usually park in the boonies rather than maneuver around tight parking places. Thing is, if you have any notion of sleeping in the back, the 5' short bed is too short. My son has an access cab with the long bed, that turns like our Highlander, nice and tight.
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby VORSHEER Trailers » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Here is a Tacoma pulling a VORSHEER XOC:

The owner says it handles well. The VORSHEER XOC weights about 2600 lbs. So you'll do well pulling 1600 lbs.

This particular Tacoma needed a Trailer Brake Controller. I would look at the Tekonsha P3 or the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite as options to add if your Tacoma ends up needing a Trailer Brake Controller. The Trailer Brake Controller was needed to allow the trailer to active it's 12" electric drum brakes in conjunction with the truck's braking.

Looking forward to seeing your setup.

Last edited by VORSHEER Trailers on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a look at our overland trailers VORSHEER Trailers
VORSHEER Trailers
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 am

At 1600lbs your about1/2 the weight of my rPod 182g I pull with my 2017 SR5 V6 (tow package). Been cross USA and Canada, coast to coast. I'm not the first one over the hill, yet always get over the hill. I don't see much of an issue towing 1600ish lbs behind a V6 Taco.

Image. Image
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Az Pete » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 am

I think you will be very happy with a Tacoma as a tow vehicle, just assure that it has the tow package, and I may have heard that all of the 3rd gen. Tacomas have it...mine does, and it was not an option.

We just returned from a 3,400 mile trip towing an rPod 180, from AZ to WA and back via UT, ID, MT. No issues, and 14.5 mpg. I estimate the rPod at about 3,500 lbs, and it has much more frontal area than a TTT.Image
Az Pete
Teardrop Builder

Postby rainjer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:09 am

I own a 2015 Tacoma double cab long bed 4X4 and I love it. It is my daily driver. I have 65,000 miles on it and about 10,000+ of those miles where towing my 1200# fiberglass trailer.

When I bought mine I spent 9 months looking at used ones an found 5-6 year old truck with 50-100k on them selling for $25k+. I decided to spend the extra $6k on a brand new one. It came with free service for 3 years/35k mile. For $350 more I extended it to 50k. I also purchased a 10 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty for around $1100.

Since I have own this truck I have replaced the tires @ 55k and have had to paY for (2) $80 oil changes and (1) $800 “major” service. I have no other issue what so ever.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:51 pm

rainjer wrote:I own a 2015 Tacoma double cab long bed 4X4 and I love it. It is my daily driver. I have 65,000 miles on it and about 10,000+ of those miles where towing my 1200# fiberglass trailer.

When I bought mine I spent 9 months looking at used ones an found 5-6 year old truck with 50-100k on them selling for $25k+. I decided to spend the extra $6k on a brand new one. It came with free service for 3 years/35k mile. For $350 more I extended it to 50k. I also purchased a 10 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty for around $1100.

Since I have own this truck I have replaced the tires @ 55k and have had to paY for (2) $80 oil changes and (1) $800 “major” service. I have no other issue what so ever.

Jeremy

I'm not even close to changing out tires, but less milage than you. Oil changes swapped out quickly after the free one and only $55 a change (which, as I watched, may do myself from here on). I see more places to be greased than they did and I can refill those containers (I do have the skill).
What I see with Tacoma is it lasts. Much like my old 4 runner did. There's something that Toyota does in the 4 runner/Tacoma series that really does make a difference.

I find it an awesome match to a 3200-3500 pound axle weight trailer (loaded).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 pm

My Tacoma is stuck in the driveway right now, I'm going to have to call for a tow to get it to the shop. The emergency brake wont release and the rear brakes are locked up. Thankfully it happened in my driveway and not someplace miles away. I've been pretty happy with my 2015 Tacoma till now. :x
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:17 pm

2005 Tacoma Access Cab parked in our garage. V6, A/T, TRD Off Road. Bought at 2 years of age. 225,000 miles. No issues other than factory recall notices for this and that. Well, let me rephrase that. The roof and hood paint clear coat has failed, more comes off every summer. Started 5 years ago. And the headlight plastic yellows and needs refinishing every couple of years. The SW sun is partly to blame for both of those. Neither really affects driveability. I would still buy it again all over.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles