Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby clamlamp » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Ended up having to cut a couple of triangles to make the fold not bump up. Filled the spot with spackle and worked on the bottom. The bottom was the hardest part. Messy and tiring. Lots of climbing up and down from the floor and using PL premium was messy and ended up dropping on my face and in my hair. Some spots on the bottom were too tight so I couldn't slip the canvas in between the frame and the wood so I had to just fold it over. Best way is to wet the canvas a bit and wet the PL premium to help it cure faster and use a putty knife to keep passing at it till it gets tacky.

Had some time so decided to start my first coat of gripper primer. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:41 am

Looking good!

There has been some concern in the past about allowing plenty of time for the canvas application glue to dry before going to the outer coats of primer and paint. Expansion of sealed in moisture is one theory for how some people get the dreaded "bubbles".

I hope you don't run into this problem, as the quality of your canvas job looks really nice. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:24 am

KCStudly wrote:Looking good!

There has been some concern in the past about allowing plenty of time for the canvas application glue to dry before going to the outer coats of primer and paint. Expansion of sealed in moisture is one theory for how some people get the dreaded "bubbles".

I hope you don't run into this problem, as the quality of your canvas job looks really nice. :thumbsup:

Thanks KC! I'm in Socal and it's been pretty warm lately and I allowed for 24hrs before applying the paint. The only think I did before the paint was adhere the bottom which I didn't paint until today which is the next day. I did get a couple of bubbles in the front but I set the iron to med/low heat and treated the bubbles which seamed to work. Not sure if they were there before I applied the paint but didn't see them and the white primer seems to bring out every bump and wrinkle. If that doesn't work I have a syringe I'm planning to use to suck out air and inject more glue to help reseal it.

I started hand sanding the first coat... man it's a workout.... I' don't' want to use my orbital sander just in case it takes off too much.

It's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel even though I know I'm still far off.....
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Got my 100 watt panel and new 15" wheels. Wheels look a little close to the wall... About 3\4". Thinking of getting spacers... What do you think?

Started on the rear hatch, got the ribs in and set a quarter inch spacer for the top rib where the hurricane hinge will attach. I made the two ribs on the top out of maple so that it can withstand the pressures. We got to make sure you set your 8th Inch spacers inside the gusset and the wall or you'll have a hatch that closes off center. I ended up doing it twice because I cut them too long the first time. Luckily the glue hadn't set yet. For the inside skin I just Gorilla Glue that onto the ribs without any Staples. Gorilla Glue should hold that nice and strong. I also was able to finish the pmf on the tongue box.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:37 pm

The PMF' is looking really good.. :thumbsup: along with that hatch..
The larger wheels and rims will be a lot better than the small ones.. probably need those spacers, :thinking: but others on here would know more about that I'm sure..
clam wrote
It's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel even though I know I'm still far off.....

Look how much you have completed. While doing an excellent job at it.. :) Did you think you'd be this far several weeks ago? ;)
You'll be camping :campfire: :vroom: before you know it.. David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 pm

Completed the outside skin and set up my tail light holes. Ready for PMF tomorrow. Took 6 hands to clamp everything down. I must say that the Steve Frederick hatch is heavy.. I hope the gas struts help.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Staryder61 wrote:The PMF' is looking really good.. along with that hatch..
The larger wheels and rims will be a lot better than the small ones.. probably need those spacers, :thinking: but others on here would know more about that I'm sure..
clam wrote

Look how much you have completed. While doing an excellent job at it.. :) Did you think you'd be this far several weeks ago? ;)
You'll be camping :campfire: :vroom: before you know it.. David
Thanks David! Sorry to hear about your back, hope you are healing up. I have about 5 weeks before school ends so I'm on a rush to finish... I'm still trying to decide on the paint scheme but I'm thinking I'm just going to paint it white until I decide.

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 am

clam, :thumbsup: the hatch is another milestone completed.. once you get it PMF'd

WHITE paint !!!! No !!!! maybe 1974 Porche Red.. j/k :lol:
clam wrote
I have about 5 weeks before school ends so I'm on a rush to finish."

You've got time, use it wisely grasshopper.. ;)
Get it weatherproofed then work on finishing it at home if possible

I rushed and pushed hard trying to make a camping deadline,, hurt my back and have been laid up for days.. not getting anything done on it.. and will miss that deadline.. so if back is better, will use a tent camping. Been there, done that..it'll work :D Then back on tear after camping at a slower pace..
(The back,, :roll: still not attempting to do anything, and it's been five days, at least, not using the cane right now to help get around.) Up at 4:53 am because I turned wrong in my sleep.. :x
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 pm

clamlamp wrote:Completed the outside skin and set up my tail light holes. Ready for PMF tomorrow. Took 6 hands to clamp everything down. I must say that the Steve Frederick hatch is heavy.. I hope the gas struts help.

You are doing an excellent job! ...Still really, really clean and precise. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of how much the hatch weighs? (When one end is hinged and you are lifting the other end, you are only lifting half as much; so, you may be okay.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 am

S. Heisley wrote:
clamlamp wrote:Completed the outside skin and set up my tail light holes. Ready for PMF tomorrow. Took 6 hands to clamp everything down. I must say that the Steve Frederick hatch is heavy.. I hope the gas struts help.

You are doing an excellent job! ...Still really, really clean and precise. Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of how much the hatch weighs? (When one end is hinged and you are lifting the other end, you are only lifting half as much; so, you may be okay.)
Thanks Sharon! I think it weighs around 40lbs. It feels heavier because it's so large and difficult to grab alone. But with two people it isn't bad. Yeah I think the gas struts will help. Anyone know where to buy them?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:44 am

clamlamp wrote:Yeah I think the gas struts will help. Anyone know where to buy them?

Got mine from McMaster Carr. Large selection and if you get the wrong ones, they can be returned.
Used my camera on video mode on the inside of the hatch to help with troubleshooting strut placement.
Only took me 3 tries over several years before I got just the right force needed.
Because of my large and heavy hatch, ended up with a pair of #100 struts.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Got mine from McMaster Carr.

And McMaster is really good about returning them for stronger or weaker ones. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:
clamlamp wrote:Yeah I think the gas struts will help. Anyone know where to buy them?

Got mine from McMaster Carr. Large selection and if you get the wrong ones, they can be returned.
Used my camera on video mode on the inside of the hatch to help with troubleshooting strut placement.
Only took me 3 tries over several years before I got just the right force needed.
Because of my large and heavy hatch, ended up with a pair of #100 struts.
How much did your hatch weigh to get the 100# struts?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:

And McMaster is really good about returning them for stronger or weaker ones.

Tony
What's a good pound rating to start at Tony?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:04 pm

clamlamp wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

And McMaster is really good about returning them for stronger or weaker ones.

Tony
What's a good pound rating to start at Tony?

Plug your numbers into the XL file from this thread: :thumbsup:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58263

I believe my 56-pound (!) hatch took two 120 pounders. They sure work well.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals