new to this forum

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new to this forum

Postby tav-2020 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 am

hello all! happy to be joining you all here!
I am aspiring to a retirement of mostly full-time travel in an RV though that is still a couple years away. I have been a camper for most of my life, mostly tents, but also a sweet little coleman pop-up for a few years before a colony of mice swarmed it one winter.
so i am tenting again. i currently work and live in the NE and am gearing up for multiple planned camping trips this spring and summer. I have been looking at T@B trailers, would like one of those, or even a T@G to get started. Then i thought why wait til I can afford one of those? So am now scouting for a small utility trailer that I can modify to semi-mount my tent on and slowly keep adding to the build.
I also have two aussie sheps, and everything i do evolves around them!

So am thinking my first step after finding the right trailer is to mount some stabilizing jacks.
I want the trailer to have fold down sides so that I can expand the deck when parked. Would appreciate any tips for finding trailers here in the northeast, the basic Loews/harbor freight models don't seem to have sides that will fold flat. I can manage simple tools (hammer, screwdriver, etc) but do not have access to powertools, nor do I want to start accumulating them! So any modifications I do would have to be simple.
tav-2020
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020 http://tagalongvagabond.com
tav-2020
Teardrop Inspector

Re: new to this forum

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Welcome. Youve gound a great resource.

Is "the NE" Nebraska, New England, or the North East?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:31 pm

We are retired, going on 8 years now. What we have learned in that time is no way will we give up our house. We stayed home for a couple years other than short term camping trips. We found a Uhaul 13 foot fiberglass camper (already had a pop-up and a vintage teardrop) repaired and modified the Uhaul, and went South for the winter, Florida and Georgia. After a couple years with the Uhaul we bought a used Casita 17 and did 3 winters in the South with it. The Casita is a fairly comfortable camper, set up with a permanent bed, dinette, stove, fridge, water heater, furnace, and bathroom. Even so, we have no desire to full time in any camper. Traveling is good, but it's always nice to get back home. Next winter we are staying home for the first time in 6 years. Full timing is not for everyone, and requires considerable thought. Years ago we met a retired couple that were full timing but had rented out their house so that when they had enough of traveling they had a home to go back to.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby bc toys » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 am

I am in the planning stage also but I want to build my on trailer I have a 28ft travel trailer frame with 3 axles under it.
All I am going to put in it is a bedroom, bathroom. kitchen, and sitting area No eating area.
The back 3ft will be a storage area to haul camping chairs and a small grill and table.
Plan on having solar system so that when traveling want have too find a camp ground every night
Got 3 1/2 yrs to get it built all metal frame and real wood inside 3/4in flooring and blow in foam insolation.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tav-2020 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 am

QueticoBill wrote:Welcome. Youve gound a great resource.

Is "the NE" Nebraska, New England, or the North East?

Both Northeast and New England... :)
a tag along vagabond, hopefully ftrv by 2020
tav-2020 http://tagalongvagabond.com
tav-2020
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves