Not enjoying building this NT trailer...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Not enjoying building this NT trailer...

Postby dsotto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:39 pm

So putting together the NT 4x8 trailer. Impossible to get square but got it close. Attached the brackets in the middle where it folds realizing that I don't want it folding because it's going to mess with the wall placement. (I couldn't drop the outer part over the frame an inch) Should I remove those brackets and attach the bolts through the crossmembers to make it non foldable? If that makes sense. Nowhere in the directions does it tell me how to make it non folding.
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Not enjoying building this NT trailer...

Postby dsotto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Also, is it super important to move the axle back to 40" from the rear? We plan on a tongue box in front and stowage inside of the teardrop towards the front. I'd think keeping the axle where it normally is would be a good thing?
Thanks !
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:08 pm

dsotto wrote:Also, is it super important to move the axle back to 40" from the rear? We plan on a tongue box in front and stowage inside of the teardrop towards the front. I'd think keeping the axle where it normally is would be a good thing?
Thanks !

You probably need to move it back (anyway) to allow the door to open. The door should be located so when you sit up, your hip is right next to it and you can pivot and step out.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dsotto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:
dsotto wrote:Also, is it super important to move the axle back to 40" from the rear? We plan on a tongue box in front and stowage inside of the teardrop towards the front. I'd think keeping the axle where it normally is would be a good thing?
Thanks !

You probably need to move it back (anyway) to allow the door to open. The door should be located so when you sit up, your hip is right next to it and you can pivot and step out.

Tony
Dang. I'm afraid of messing it up. Is there a tutorial on how to mod it to be non folding and everything? And directions on how to move the axle? I really should've spent the money to get one made.. but my budget was a bit tight for that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kim Armstrong » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Is your camper going to be 4x8 or bigger?
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dsotto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Kim Armstrong wrote:Is your camper going to be 4x8 or bigger?

Just 4x8. Found a thing on how to make it non folding so hopefully that will work! https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_ ... er/Trailer
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby woodywrkng » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Here's a 5x8 Northern Tool trailer, with the axle in the stock position, and a tongue box. It tows beautifully and I find the door to be in just the right spot. I've since installed larger tires and fenders as well. Just my 2 cents.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks !

I didn't move the axle when I built on a HF frame, I didn't have any problems with the doors.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby dsotto » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Thanks !

I didn't move the axle when I built on a HF frame, I didn't have any problems with the doors.

Bruce
We finally got it done!! Didn't move the axle. First time was not fun. Second time would definitely go better

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques