Electrical Wire in foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Electrical Wire in foam?

Postby equant » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:57 pm

What is the consensus on running electrical wires in foam (XPS or EPS)? I've seen that people run it inside pvc pipes that are inlayed into the foam but it wasn't clear if they were using that for 120V AC, or 12V. I'd like to run some wire (insulated, 14-24 gauge depending on what I'm doing exactly) inlayed through the foam for 12V lights, fans, sound, etc. Obviously shorts can heat up wires, but practically, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks for the help.
equant
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Electrical Wire in foam?

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Running conduit will let you pull more or different wires though in the future. Embedding wire directly will work though I would fuse those wires before they go into the foam.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 pm

When doing this in a building you derate the wire capacity. Often by two sizes. So if your circuit needs a 16 gauge conductor, you end up using a 12 instead.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

I ran a 1/2 poly water tube from where my tongue box will be to the cabinet in the cabin where all my wires run to, that is where the fuse panel is. It will be to run any forgotten wires after everything is closed up. Worked out well. I also ran a 18/6 cable and 2 16/4 cables (speaker wire) just so I have extra wires if needed at some point. Some will be for a thermostat if we add heat, and for a third break light on the hatch door. I ran some 12ga wire for 120v even though I don't plan to camp where there will be 120v. And now everything we need can be powered on 12v. The computer can charge while we drive, we have an AC plug in the TV.

I used this wire in 16ga for most all 12v, it is great stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-Grade-Duplex-Cables/dp/B000NUYC3S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523933650&sr=8-2&keywords=duplex%2Bwire&dpID=214cvzxTljL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1&psc=1

I didn't run any audio because we are going to use some bluetooth speakers we can move to where we need them, inside the cabin, out by the fire, back by the galley. That way we can have the music where we need it and not have to turn it up where other campsites might hear it.

I wouldn't use anything smaller than 18ga in an area that I wouldn't be able to get to in the future.
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Sparksalot wrote:When doing this in a building you derate the wire capacity. Often by two sizes. So if your circuit needs a 16 gauge conductor, you end up using a 12 instead.

Good to know. Does the type of jacketing make a difference?
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 am

Sheddie had some thoughts on this based on legalities in NZ. Something about the wire insulation breaking down over time due to some chemical incompatibility. I wasn't too worried about it for 12v only.

About running conduit or other pull path liners, my advice is to not underestimate how big of a wire bundle you are going to end up with. Even with a "simple" system, lights and switches add up, features add up. Plan ahead.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:12 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:

Not really, it needs to have a voltage rating consistent with what you're using.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:When doing this in a building you derate the wire capacity. Often by two sizes. So if your circuit needs a 16 gauge conductor, you end up using a 12 instead.

There are quite a few homes being built around here with ICFs. (Insulated Concrete Forms. Big hollow foam blocks that Lego together and are then filled with concrete.) They use a router or electric chainsaw to cut slots for the wiring. They use the same wire sizes for the circuit that they'd use in standard stud construction. I'm planning a new shop with ICFs.

I would think that if your wires are getting warm enough to melt foam, you've got the wrong gauge (and fuse) for the circuit. Foam or no foam. ???

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 am

All our wire is internal and exposed , no worries (EZ) … It’s a Camper , not House … JMHO
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies