Please help with camping menu (sans DO) :)

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby Laredo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:52 pm

Try this: get half a dozen celery sticks and dice them. Add a clove of garlic, a double handful of golden raisins, a shake of sea salt and two of coarse black pepper. Now in a little oil or butter in a skillet, cook a half a diced onion until it's clear, then toss in 3/4 cup of rice and continue to saute a minute or two, until you begin to smell it toasting. Then just add water and cook as you would regular rice. This makes a nice light meal or you can cook it, chill it and serve with chopped greens (I like spinach and romaine) as a salad.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby tomkat6546 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:07 am

Wow, great responses which is exactly what I was looking for!

BillyL--funny you should mention goulash--I decided that we would make a goulash recipe this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have authentic paprika, but my recipe is one from Rachel Ray (celebrity chef from the food channel if you haven't seen her) and it's called "paprikash goulash". Lots of paprika in there and surprisingly, the kids love it. I just spent a while in the kitchen doing some pre-prep work and put the spices together. YUMMY. So where can I get some of that "real" paprika?

I also pulled together supplies to make the calzones that Kurt (Indiana) recommended.

Laredo--I can almost smell the garlic, onion and celery (mmmm). You lost me with the lettuce, though. sounds great as a rice dish! I will bring supplies with me to try it.

Joesph--I hear you with the "tin can" stuff. My son is 6yo and he is "in charge" of the one dish he can prepare from start to finish: Corn and bean salad. It is a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), a can of corn (drained), a can of petite cut diced tomatoes (drained), a splash of lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. A GREAT "tin can" dish.

Mikeschn--I'm hooked on the omlets/eggs thing. We picked up a tip here about egg storage and have used it several times: crack all the eggs into a mason jar and tip out however many eggs you need into your dish. What a great tip! No eggs in shells to transport, no worries about breakage... I love it!

bsandey--your dish reminds me of my mom's "pasty" without the crust. MMMMMMMMMMM.

IndyTom, I'm going to check that link next.

Thanks all...any more?

Kathleen.
tomkat6546
Silver Donating Member

Postby BILLYL » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Kathleen-

I just planted my paprika plants - so in a few months I should have plenty to share. But if you need some I have a bit that we got on our last visit to Hungary. Let me know if you like some.

I'll have to check Ray's recipe. Probably very American..... :) But that is the best thing about cooking.

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:14 pm

tomkat6546 wrote:Joesph--I hear you with the "tin can" stuff. My son is 6yo and he is "in charge" of the one dish he can prepare from start to finish: Corn and bean salad. It is a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), a can of corn (drained), a can of petite cut diced tomatoes (drained), a splash of lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. A GREAT "tin can" dish.

The zuccini & tomato stuff makes a great bread dip too - just add LOTS of minced garlic & some extra virgin olive oil.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Laredo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:04 pm

You can do this before you leave:

Drain a 6 oz jar of pitted green olives. Remove the pimiento stuffing.
Drain a 3 oz can of chopped black olives. Put in a molcajete or a blender with

16 leaves of basil
9 leaves of cilantro
12 leaves of parsley
6 leaves sage

1/2 tsp roasted minced garlic
1 peeled shallot
1/4 cup peeled onion

salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon olive oil

and mash to a paste.
Smear on warm sourdough toast.
Enjoy
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby BILLYL » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Here is a quick and easy recipe that my wife used on our maiden voyage.

Adjust accordingly:

2 chicken breast - cut into bite size pieces and browned
1 onion sauted
can of your favorite veggies
some rice - cooked
chicken gravy mix

saute your onions and chicken in a pot - add your veggies and mix your gravy as indicated on the package. Heat it up and the rice - season to taste and serve. Makes a quick chow mein -

One pot cooking
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:09 pm

MMMkay. Here we go. Stand two servings of spaghetti on end in a clean iced tea jar. Pour in boiling water, put on the lid, wrap in a thick towel, leave alone 15 minutes.

Meanwhile bring a pint and a half of water to a boil. Stir the following into the water:

1 teaspoon powdered onion
1/4 teaspoon powdered garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup powdered milk
1 tablespoon butter (not margarine)
1/2 tablespoon olive oil

whisk briskly and beat in :

1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded romano cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
continue cooking until thickened but smooth

Drain pasta and pour into bowl
Add sauce
Sprinkle on 1/2 pouch bacon bits
Grate on a generous dusting of coarse ground black pepper
Serve hot
Laredo
Donating Member

recipe

Postby KA » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:38 pm

We make easy quesadillas on our frying pan. Just take a flour torilla and top with your favorite stuff (refried beans, grated cheese, green or black olives, shredded cooked chicken, chopped tomatos, rice, etc) Fold in half making a s"sandwich" and fry on each side til golden brown. Slice into wedges and serve with salsa, avocado, and sour cream.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1