Hi from Melbourne (Aussie)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from Melbourne (Aussie)

Postby heliantha » Tue May 01, 2018 5:59 am

Hi,

I'm Kate; I'm a single mum who likes to take her 3 kids (9, 9 and 4, all girls) camping but as I'm planning to trade my 8 seater Kia van in for a Mitsubishi PHEV, hauling everything I need for tent camping is going to become problematic, especially as we regularly need to stop overnight on the way (melbourne <> gold coast = 16ish hours driving time). I'd started looking into camping trailers, but none of them seemed to suit what I wanted and they're all too expensive anyway. Then I stumbled over the teardrop concept and I knew I'd found it. It ticks all my boxes - small and light enough to be comfortable behind my car, can build it myself, offers the easily accessible galley and sleeping space without needing to fiddle with tents or play tetris with the gear in the car.

I'm presently planning to use a 5x8 trailer chassis kit (http://www.carlex.com.au/contents/en-us ... ailer.html) that I can get locally; it'll be the single most expensive item I think. It'll be a foamie build skinned with fabric and paint, and designed to be removable from the chassis. When not in use as a camper, it'll sit in my back yard as a cubbie/playhouse/hideout for the kids. I'm pretty handy with tools and diy stuff (and I have a very helpful dad with a workshop full of all sorts of tools to borrow) so I think I'll be okay. I'm working my way through the giant foamie thread in particular, and many other threads as they catch my interest.

Oh... and according to my girls, I must paint it pink and purple. :wine:
heliantha
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hi from Melbourne (Aussie)

Postby edgeau » Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 am

Hi and welcome. I am on the Gold coast so would love to see it when you arrive on that first trip! I used the same trailer and made a removable woodie. I found the info from here a great help in my build. Good luck.Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue May 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Welcome, when you need help, just ask. There are so many talented home builders here and we are happy to help. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Trebor English » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi from Melbourne (Florida) and welcome to tnttt.

I found a review online of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/review ... ander-phev

It seems that for the small teardrop, 500 kg, it should be adequate but they weren't very enthusiastic. Small electric cars are designed to minimize gasoline consumption. Hauling around a trailer isn't the intended market. You may be able to find something that trades some fuel economy for a bit better towing performance or keep the Kia van. The Kia van could be like a second bedroom. In any case, with a light weight foam construction it ought to work ok.
Trebor English
Gold Donating Member

Postby heliantha » Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Ooooh - hi edgeau! That's a great pic, and it's nice to se that trailer chassis outside the manufacturer's website too. I will definitely let you know when I'm up your way - I would love to see yours in person and hopefully, show off mine!

Hi Woodbutcher, and thank you! There is already such a wealth of information on here... I don't dare ask until I've had a decent rumage through what's already been said but I'm sure there will be something eventually!

Trebor English! Hiya and I do understand what you are saying. However, the vehicle choice is made on the basis of what will suit me in daily life; the PHEV is a near perfect match, and makes good use of my house solar install too. I have been in touch with people here in AU who have one and have been using it to tow a 1200kg (2545lb?) jayco poptop around and I'm fairly confident that a lightweight tear will be okay. Regardess, I'm not keeping the Kia; it is nowhere near fuel efficient enough to suit me, and day-to-day, it's far in excess of what we need. Still, part of the reason a DIY foamie tear seems the right choice is becase it's a much lower dollar investment in comparison to pretty much any other option. If the PHEV can't tow it to my satisfaction, the cost savings of the PHEV over the Kia would still more than pay for the hire of a camper van for the longer trips... I think.

I have found a local source of foam, but for some reason nowhere aussie seems to make XPS boards wider than 600mm/2ft. I must think about this too. :thinking:
heliantha
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Tue May 01, 2018 8:41 pm

There must be a commercial roofing company in the area that you could speak to.
When doing flat roofs foam is often used as a base for the roof here in the states...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby heliantha » Wed May 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi Pete,

I've been poking around on websites and while I can get the white beady stuff in wider, not even the manufacturers list XPS blue/green/pink foam in anything wider than 600mm (2ft). It is an annoyance but eh... it's foam. Panels glue together fine, and given they even have tongue-and-groove sides to them, it should be fine. I can get titebond glue, fabric and paint, plywood floor all just fine. I am pondering if I really want to do a hatch-galley at the back or an internal galley at the front, mostly because building a waterproof hatch is the most intimdating thing so far. :NC A nice solid roof sounds awefully appealing when I remember buckets of rain being dumped on various campsites I've occupied. I have some more thoughts but I think I'll go post in the foamies section. ;)
heliantha
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Thu May 03, 2018 3:33 am

Gluing the foam together should be no problem. A flat surface, gorilla glue,poly plastic sheeting (vapor barrier) and some weights. Gorilla glue does not stick to poly. Put the plastic down, wet the seam with water, spread the glue on the joint, put to gether,lie plastic on top with weights and hold the joint together as gorilla glue expands. Be sure to clear the joint up before the glue gets rock hard.
A gallery is the great part of a teardrop. I seal the gallery from the cabin so when water gets in the gallery it is not a problem. Maybe a tarp with Velcro or snaps for a gallery cover? Tonneau cover style?
Be sure to sand the foam before glue the canvas down (think small electric sander)
Good luck, have fun!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby heliantha » Sun May 23, 2021 3:29 am

Well, it has been a few years. I regretfully had to put aside my plans for a while as I ended up without a tow vehicle or the time to build a trailer.

But I am about to finally have my own car again, it will be able to tow a camper and I am back to remind myself of everything here and check out what is new! I am still planning a foamy, but with the kids now 12, 12 & 7, space requirements have shifted considerably. I will get there tho! I will!

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
heliantha
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 am

Welcome back!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun May 23, 2021 7:03 am

Good to see you back. Life happens eh?

A basic sized tear with a side tent is a great option for a growing family. Gets the older kids outside to let mom stretch out!

Good luck.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sun May 23, 2021 8:37 am

I'm primarily a primitive camper - canoe trips and backpacking - and kind of wonder about hatch. Not sure I wouldn't enjoy a shelter - e.g. Nemo Bugout - and the requiset table and chairs. I might consider a camp kitchen but having been fine with no chairs or tables at all - just a rain tarp - it probably would work for me. It certainly simplifies construction.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun May 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Welcome back! :D

Its a great opportunity to get the girls involved in making something.
Please take lots of pictures of the fun.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon May 24, 2021 6:33 am

Just a note on PHEVs, the RAV4 Prime PHEV is rated for 2500 in US.

I read about the BEV F150 and suspicions its range towing will be under 100 miles, so towing even very light trailers will become an issue as we are increasingly pressured and legislated into BEVs. I'm not ignoring the environmental problems of internal combustion vehicles, just wondering how this will resolve.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon May 24, 2021 2:01 pm

Welcome aboard Kate.
May I suggest that you reconsider the foamie idea?
I couldn't find a supplier of full size sheets (4 x 8 or 1200 x 2400) of extruded foam anywhere here in Oz.
I suppose you could dowel and edge glue two sheets together, then apply PMF to both sides of the full sized sheets before you start cutting.
I've often thought applying the PMF first, with the foam laid on a nice flat surface, would perhaps provide a more rigid material to work with.
Assuming it doesn't warp before you can flip it and do the other side.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves