CAMPGROUND RATINGS

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: CAMPGROUND RATINGS

Postby Travels with Yoly » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Awesome reviews rowerwet Wish we had talked to you before we camped on Cape Cod :lol: Enjoyed your pictures as well.
Travels with Yoly
Teardrop Builder

Postby rowerwet » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:34 pm

thanks, I enjoyed your blog!
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Heading to or from Maine? most likely you will be taking rt 95 through New Hampshire to get there, and paying a big toll. New Hampshire has the shortest sea coast line of any state (aprox 15 miles) however it also has the best shoreline drive of any of them I've been on. Rt 1A and 1B.
Coming from the south take the first exit after Rt 495 and 95 join in MA, (last exit in MA (59? I think)) follow the signs to rt 286 (second left turn) and follow it to the Beaches. Rt 286 ends on Rt 1A in Salisbury, MA, go north on 1A (left). Right away you will cross into Seabrook, NH (the nuke plant is on your left across the marsh) cross the bridge and you enter Hampton Beach, ticky tacky tourist trap, side show, arcardes, bars, fried dough, and a big beach. be extra carefull trying to park or drive here, NH makes as much in tickets and fines here as the rest of the state. Get past that mess and you get to see the real NH coast. Overbuilt seaside homes give way to cliff side driving with vast ocean views on one side and real mansions on the other. This is the area to get a great picture of your tear with an ocean background!
Once you get up past Rye Harbor you will eventually come to a wooden bridge, not long after that Rt 1B will turn off to the right, follow that to see New Castle, NH with more ocean and marsh views, then views of the Piscatauqua river and across it the Portsmouth Naval Ship yard, with the castle like jail and possibly a sighting of a modern fast attack submarine. (if you want to go on board a real one http://www.ussalbacore.org/) Rt 1B ends at Rt 1 at the end of the Memorial Bridge in Portsmouth, NH. Cross it to get to Maine and follow the signs back to Rt 95 north or check out the outlet malls in Kittery, ME.
Heading south, get off at the exit for Kittery (last one in Maine) follow the signs to Rt 1 south, (not Rt 1 bypass!) Downtown Portsmouth, NH. As soon as you cross the memorial bridge in NH, hang a sharp right at the end of the guardrail and loop back underneath the bridge to find Rt 1B toward New Castle. When you get to the end of 1B, take a left onto 1A follow it all the way to the MA border, then follow the signs to Rt 286 and Rt 95 south.
Most of Rt 1A has side walks and paths along it. In good weather you will see plenty of bicycle riders in the breakdown lanes, an excellent break from driving, if you can find a good spot to park.
Last edited by rowerwet on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:38 pm

When in downtown Portsmouth, be sure to have a meal at the The Friendly Toast. It's a cool diner where they list everything in the kitchen on the menu, and if you can think it up, they will make it for you. Lots of the dishes listed are creations inspired from previous customers. Have it your way.

Located between the municipal lot and the bridge. Don't let the parking meter run out; they will ticket in the blink of an eye.

Also there are some craft breweries in Portsmouth.

Good Mexican food here.

Avoid staying in hotels during "Leaf Peeper Season" (autumn); the rates go way up for the tourists coming to see the fall colors. The fall colors are worth coming for, just don't try to stay in a hotel! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:18 pm

in Maine the one spot not to miss, the Nubble Lighthouse.
Get off Rt 95 at exit 4 the Yorks (last exit before toll going north) go east to Rt 1 south, go left to Rt 1A north (first stop light on Rt 1 south) Rt 1A xwill take you through the center of York, then take you along Long Sands beach. At the northern end of the beach take a right (there is a small sign telling you were to turn) follow the road to a split, bear right there. Take a right into Sohier Park, the area you park at to see the Nubble light house, the most photographed point on the Maine Coast.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby HMK » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Lake Limestone Campground and Marina is located between Jewitt and Groesbeck Texas.

Last weekend we searched high and low for a place to camp. Because of spring break, we had a very hard time. After calling and checking several places, we decided to reserve a spot. We drove nearly 4 hours, checked in, paid the bill of 70 bucks and waited to be taken to our spot. It was 30 a night, plus 10 bucks for our 2 pets. The first thing we noticed was no tables, then we noticed, no grill or fire ring. We were upset, but decided to make the best of it. We were tent camping because we don't have an RV. We had our choice of 3 lots that were right next to each other. We got out looked around, but I noticed ants. They looked like fire ants, but I'm not 100% positive. We were there about 3 to 5 minutes and decided not to stay, so We went back to the office and let them know. They don't give refunds, but told me they had a cabin, but it was only available for one night only. Since it was already 6 pm and we would need to check out by noon, we decided to just chalk it up as a loss and go home.

I think she said the cabins were 65 a night. The cabins do have grills and tables, so if you plan to stay and don't have an RV, I think this would be a better solution. They also have a fishing dock, but charge extra to use it. I think it is 4 dollars a day. The one thing positive I can say is, they are pet friendly and only charge 5 dollars per pet. Pets are even welcome in the cabins. We won't be going back though. Surely this can't be the only campground on the lake.

About the only advice I can give is, if you decide to visit, be sure and look the place over BEFORE you pay, because once they have your money, you ain't getting it back.

Hopefully, we will have pretty weather this weekend and can try a different lake.
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby lawsonpix » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Long Key State Park FL.

Pros,
Right on the ocean.
Shallow Ocean you can walk out very far.
You can see Cuba! (just kidding)
Nice walking paths
When I was there, (January 2014) the weather was very stable, 81 in day, 79 at night.
Stars at night were clear. (weather permitting)

Cons
When I was there, the weather was very windy. 15 MPH continually.
Many sites are VERY close to highway.
Ocean is muddy rather than sandy.
The best sites are booked up a year in advance.
lawsonpix
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Java Jack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:58 pm

I try to post a review like this to each campground I visit.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62721

It would be great if this forum had a dedicated section to review campgrounds by region. Right now, I post my reviews in whatever region the campground is in. However, they can easily get buried with all the other chatter going on in that same subforum.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Proud Owner of a CampInn 560 Ultra
Blog: http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/
Video: https://youtu.be/TLLFt3vzFoA
Sill Images: http://imgur.com/a/EE0zC#0
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike S » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:04 pm

Campendium. I'm not quite sure where to post this. So feel free to move or delete it. But it looks like this particular rating site has never been posed on the forum before. This is my new favorite campground rating site. I've posted a few reviews of campgrounds I know well. I'm starting to read reviews of places I might want to go. Check it out:

www.campendium.com/
2013 7 x 16 Charmac Stealth CT , deep in conversion process :)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66412
2011 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, Double Cab, 5.7L
Mike S
Teardrop Master

Postby apopj » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:07 am

Could ya'll please add a note about internet? I see in all of the printed ratings that "WiFi" is available, and yet 95% of the campgrounds I visit, it is only available if you are within 27" of the office and then very slow. It would be nice to know if WiFi is available througout the campground. I know some of us go camping to get away, but it is nice to be able to send pictures and notes home to family and friends of how the trip is going. And, when the weather is a bit bad, a movie helps make time more enjoyable. Thanks to all... Jeff :beer:
A tear says a lot
apopj
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:25 pm

First I check TRIPADVISOR.COM I enter the name of the state I want to search And in the box What am i searching for I enter campground.

When I find a campground I'm interested in I search for the campground name on YouTube For videos of the campground.

After that I search the web for other reviews of the campground.

I agree first-hand reviews are the best but they are not always available.

Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Kaz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Burlingame State Park in Charlestown R.I. is my annual labor day haunt. Camp store with most necessities. large and small wooded and open sites. Showers are good but they can be a mess this late in the season. Labor day gets pretty full up but you can reserve on line @ reserve america.com. Can't be that bad this summer will be my 3rd time there.

Nickerson State Park in Barnstable Ma is another nice park132994

Danforth Bay Camping resort in Freedom, NH is an awesome family owned campground that I have grown up camping in as well as my kids have.

I tend to visit the state and national parks, they are cheaper and usually very clean.

Looking forward to visiting Fish Creek Pond in upstate NY this June. and if your up for a road trip Acadia National Park Seawall campground in Bar Harbor Maine is worth the trip, showers are down the street at a privately owned store but it just adds to the adventure
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 am

Haven't been on this thread in awhile but wanted to chime in:

Seminole Lake State Park Campground
7870 State Park Drive
Donalsonville, GA 39845
Seminole County
A+
Pros:
Just camped here for 5 days and 4 nights and loved it. All the campsites were very spacious and spread out enough for everyone to have privacy. It has a new bathhouse and an older one. A lot of sites are right on the lake and are pull through. Lots of activity in the lake and there is a mini-golf site right in the park. There is a place to buy ice and firewood in the campground without going to the park office, which also sells that along with other necessities. Each campsite has a fire ring and a grill and picnic table. Great rangers and park office personnel. Wildlife was plentiful! Has a beach area along with nice boat ramps and a place to rent kayaks and canoes. A hidden gem of a campground!

Cons:
Gnats! They were out and annoying and we were told it wasn't even their annoying season yet. I probably ate enough of them to get my share of protein for the week.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Thu May 03, 2018 1:59 pm

Traveled the East Coast this past winter from Syracuse NY to Miami . Saw lots of great places. I used AirBNB for a number of campsites. KOA is now a member of AirBNB for their cabins and Teepees. The first one I stayed in was in Kingsland GA just north of Jacksonville, FL. I used the campgrounds as home base to see the area. I did a last minute reservation on AirBNB for 10.00 a night. That included a site with a Teepee that had electric, water, TV, heater and Air conditioner. It had 2 queen size beds, (I slept in the camper instead), a pool, and free breakfast. If I had rented an RV site it would have been 65.00. The downside is that you have to go through AirBNB and it is usually last minute only. I did however do some overnights in other locations through AirBNB in advance for as little as 12.00 a night, some places with electric but none had water. I stayed in Miami for 5 nights for 200.00. I parked the camper in their backyard and they supplied electricity. I used their cabana for bathing and toilet facilities. I was only there to sleep and take a shower.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets