Photophobic retreat

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Photophobic retreat

Postby Photophobic » Sun May 06, 2018 5:10 am

Been awhile since I updated, lots of work, and progress but feeling a bit overwhelmed with how much is left to do.

The inner ply had to go on so I could brace the insulation against it from the outside since you can;t push a wedge in backwards. The bottom most front panel is already back off so trailer wires could be pulled inside while outer ply (and PMF) are applied. The thinner outer strips (lighter color) act as 7 1/2 ft electrical panels for my running lights

Insulation along the front curve, section 2 wouldn't stay put so I had to clamp a stick in place until the outer ply went on. The wire conduit on each side is for the marker lights that will go along the roof, surounding gaps will eventually be filled with spray foam.

Outer ply is in place. More woodplastic than I wanted to use, probably more than i need since it will be covered in pmf but decided to be relatively thorough to keep the canvas from sagging into gaps.
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
Build thread: Here
Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clamlamp » Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Photophobic wrote:Been awhile since I updated, lots of work, and progress but feeling a bit overwhelmed with how much is left to do.

The inner ply had to go on so I could brace the insulation against it from the outside since you can;t push a wedge in backwards. The bottom most front panel is already back off so trailer wires could be pulled inside while outer ply (and PMF) are applied. The thinner outer strips (lighter color) act as 7 1/2 ft electrical panels for my running lights

Insulation along the front curve, section 2 wouldn't stay put so I had to clamp a stick in place until the outer ply went on. The wire conduit on each side is for the marker lights that will go along the roof, surounding gaps will eventually be filled with spray foam.

Outer ply is in place. More woodplastic than I wanted to use, probably more than i need since it will be covered in pmf but decided to be relatively thorough to keep the canvas from sagging into gaps.

looking good! keep it up!
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am

As for the PMF, take a look at clamlamp's, his turned out really good, and he documented the process really well.. :thumbsup:
Any process, whether aluminum, wood or PMF, can turn out really good. All depends on the time it takes to do it right.
You have come a long way, the quality shows in everything you have accomplished.. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Wed May 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Major snag today, after skinning and painting everything my galley hatches won't go back on. They have warped and are now skewed that if i line up 3 corners on one it's off by a couple inches on the 4th. The other is actually a tighter radius at one edge (no idea how that's even possible). They fit before, they were insulated and wired and then taken off to skin and paint and now that i'm out of canvas and ready for the last coat of paint i'm struggling with the idea i have to rip[ them apart and start over. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, i thought i was going to be sleeping in this next weekend...
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Did you remove the hatch to do any of the skinning, gluing, building?

Whenever possible it is best to complete the hatch in place, then cut it free from the cabin after all major construction is complete. Things will always move around a little, and this is the best way to 'fixture' the hatch during construction.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 pm

KCStudly wrote:Did you remove the hatch to do any of the skinning, gluing, building?

Whenever possible it is best to complete the hatch in place, then cut it free from the cabin after all major construction is complete. Things will always move around a little, and this is the best way to 'fixture' the hatch during construction.

I did remove it to skin & paint, shown here
My expectation was to to wrap the canvas around the edges and thus protect the interior surfaces. This was certainly a contributing factor in for some problems putting back on, fabric shrinking/pulling (even though it had been preshrunk) but stretching/growing still had some strange phenomenon that I can't explain all the shape changes. Most of the corner wraps had to be cut off to reshape and fit so it was definitely an exercise in futility and a lot of waster time and effort. One more reason I doubt I'll do PMF again.
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Photophobic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Big progress on the doors!
This doesn't show the completed framing but pretty close so you can see what i did. I missed the photographing the finished frame before fitting the inner surface on.

Doors are mounted as well, driver side opens further than passenger side due to difficulty in the mounting process. I'm good with the difference, they both close, they both open enough to get in and out easily so a lack of 180 degree swing isn't going to bother me in the woods.

I skipped canvassing the doors, it would mean another sheet and since i'm not happy with the outcome of the main body and can't wrap the edges without compounding problems the exterior is getting a coat (or two) of waterporoof primer that i used on the underbelly before the next (final?) coat of paint on the whole teardrop.
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Photophobic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Nobody can claim they didn't see my tiny trailer coming down the road.

All the lights are mounted and tested, Galley doors have two red markers and a horizontal brake light you can't see here.
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Photophobic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Interior is coming along well

I went with a cheap bare bones ceiling vent and installed 2, 120mm computer fans for exhaust. they're controlled by a small thermostat which is cut off from the batter by the center switch. The two outer switches control the light strips respectively.

cheap vinyl flooring to make a seamless and waterproof barrier under the mattress and into the rear entry & galley. Fun noodles are on clearance so blue was about 10% the cost of black pipe insulation at the hardware store. The padding will be phased out as I finish shelving design but I need function now with Mordor 3.1 is only a week away.
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Photophobic » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm

The split galley/rear door design was an idea i had form the very beginning and proved to be a major headache all the way through; twice the doors is about 20 times the work. The rear door gives me a sort of mud-room where i can climb inside without climbing directly onto the bed. It also gives me some extra options for long item storage (light stands & boom arms).

I'm not too worried about the loss of space in the galley, a shelf for the camp stove will go above the cooler once I find (and can afford) sliders to support pulling the cooler out. Until then I'll lift it out and cook on a picnic table or in the mud-room. Battery & fusebox are behind the cooler.

Not finished but road worthy & usable
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby friz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:49 am

I like the idea of an entrance though the galley. I think a single door would have been just as handy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Photophobic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I wanted the option sealing off the food space without having the cabin door open. I plan to make a screen door should I want extra ventilation.

Someday the mudroom could hold a removable ac unit that would stay in place during travel and leave that hatch open overnight.
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Photophobic » Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 am

I finally got around to dragging my TD across some scales, in case anyone was wondering POE scales seems to be synchronized in such a way that a gopro on 1/2 second time lapse won't pick up a single measurement over the 10 seconds of flashing weights... Gremlins aside i'm pretty sure I weigh in at 1800 lbs difference when the 3rd axle hit the scale, 220lb tonge before i left puts me right at 200lbs, heavier than i wanted but that's loaded and ready for a week of dry camping and on 1500 miles so far it only averages about 3 mpg drop for my (gas hog) tacoma at highway speeds. keeping in mid my trailer frame is 700lbs for offroad piece of mind and a full cooler is roughly 80lbs, and the mattress has to be about that and a group 29 battery is 60lbs; I don't think my build was excessively heavy. Even with my 6ft roof height i think wind is still the biggest factor at this weight range, lower speed limits even with stoplights I get less change in mileage and the views off interstate are way better anyway.
Paul

Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals