FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm

The window is so large , we’re going to make a full size template for marking , cutting the hole , and making the inside window trim . :thinking: I think i can just fit it between ribs . leaving two in the center to cut away

This window is Used and the many outer frame screw holes were really tightened down, enough to distort the metal frame around the hole ( Cone’d ) … We tried using a really big C clamp and tightening it down , but that was slow ( and tiring ), and we finally resorted to a small ball peen hammer backed up with a small sledge hammer as a dolly … couple light taps did it … Nice and Flat again … like new … ish’ ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 pm

I would take out a couple of the ribs and maybe put in a sill and header, maybe glue it to the foam. You could then screw into them for extra hold.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 10, 2018 5:22 am

Well have to figure that out as we go … I’m trying not to add anything , especially wood :o So was thinking of anchoring the window to the ribs at just a few points with some clips and long skinny bolts where the ends of the window perfectly over lap the rib area … Schmaybe’ , so far when measuring ...
… The 3M 5200 holding the rest in place with it’s tenacious grip ... :thinking: So much grip looks like I’m going to have to cut around the present window … It will not be coming out easily …
Consider this is not your regular camper trailer but one specifically for EVACUATION … So it won’t see a lot of road time or long travel ( hopefully) … My biggest worry being tire dry rot from sitting idle in the driveway all these years, waiting … :frightened:

Now as far as a camper trailer goes , I still have plans for making a lower more streamline ( modernistic ) camper … Built for that purpose … We now know that Foam makes a fine camper ( better in some ways ) , and thanks to the contributions and testing by so many other talented builders, there are now so many great proven ( tested) ideas that can be incorporated with full confidence in the structure aerodynamics , and Waterproofing ... :thumbsup: :D

This year we’ve added a new cooler ( cheap cooler ), real 12Volt Flat screen TV , and a generator , with a new 5 gal Jerry can … More stuff to haul , less guitars I can bring … :lol:

*** That 12V TV really is Super , now doing dual duty in my Kitchen, and it’s THRIFTY !!! ... :thumbsup: https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-HOME-AND ... /448667291
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

Not to be too Off Topic ( not the first time eh ? ) I just got some pics from my friend who’s building the yak with that phenolic sheet material we mentioned a while back … pretty tough stuff … Boat coming along nicely …

Possible trailer tough skin material for over Foam … (SIPS) :thinking:
Attachments
gpw57 (1 of 1).jpg
gpw57 (1 of 1).jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
gpw56 (1 of 1).jpg
gpw56 (1 of 1).jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
gpw55 (1 of 1).jpg
gpw55 (1 of 1).jpg (76.46 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 am

Hmmm? That might even be Ant proof !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 am

Yesterday we pulled the Trailer back in front my Studio , got inside and gave it a really Good vacuuming … It really wasn’t as bad as I thought … but we went over everything anyway .. A dead frog , dead lizard , and some small spider webs… got the front trim panels screwed back on , no problem … There was really nothing bad happening inside …and looks like the ants never came back ... :thumbsup:
We still need to add the drip edge “seal” tape ( canvas tape ) , and replace the Gorilla tape and aluminum front drip edge with something more permanent … ( still undecided ) however the Gorilla tape is still in good condition . ( Amazing!) :D

Once clean , we got inside and carefully measured for the new BIG window … Originally we were going to cut the ribs where the window went , but deciding to err on the Strong side , I’m going to leave the ribs as they won’t interfere with the window operation , and they will still retain the strength of the wall . The window only has a 2” flange all around and the FS wall foam is 3.5” thick , so the window will still be 1.5” away from the interior ( and ribs) … Next we’ll make a paper template of the mounting hole and see how it fits .. Figuring we can use the ribs as attachment points for the window … We’ll have to be creative there .. 2” flange fit into 3.5” foam hole and nothing on the surface to screw it down to . hmmmm??? :thinking: Maybe some really long thin bolts coming from the window mounting holes and clips on the ribs to hold them … Two at each rib should do it … ? And we'll have to figure out how to keep it from looking ugly or snagging anything … ( all that hardware :NC )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 pm

So naturally , we get ready for patching and window installation …. and now it’s raining … :rainy: Tropical storm on the way …

Again I find myself saying I should have done this months ago … :duh::lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 am

OK we’re back to continue the quest … I just checked and my tires ( Walmart) have been on there since 2013… That’s 5 years now , so maybe I should replace those just as a matter of good judgement … ??? :thinking: They came with the rims too , so should we just replace those too or try to find some tires to put on the old rims … Last time we checked at the WM , those were ~ $75/00 each (as I recall) so that ’s not so bad …

Or should we look for some better tires ?? If we get anything bigger (taller) , we’ll have to add spacers and longer U bolts … or I saw those “hip -hop” tires that were pretty wide yet not as tall as other tires … Probably expensive to convert , trick rims too … :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 am

Here’s a picture of the morning dew running down the trailer, and now down the drip edge and off to the ground … bypassing floor and interior … :thumbsup:
Attachments
DSCN1359.jpg
DSCN1359.jpg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 am

note: the upper part is kinda’ Dirty , we didn’t wash that part before the restoration ( yuck !!!) , and the wife even mentioned it :o … But we’re going to wait a couple weeks for the new paint to harden and cure completely … Then scrub the whole thing with some Spic and Span in water … Got my “brush on a pole” to make it easier … ;)

Like it or not , we have to wash it at least once a year … :rofl:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby HMK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 am

Speaking of tires, if it were me, I'd put new ones on. I'd hate to see all your hard work go poof.

Of course that's not to say a new tire can't go poof. Ya just have to weigh positives against negatives. If you're like me, money ALWAYS plays into the equation. I've been known to step over a dollar trying to save a quarter.
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Yes , the tires need to go , the wife agreed so it’s a done deal … I guess we’ll go back to Wal mart , only because they’re Everywhere now and I can return or replace them wherever we go … A plan that will likely work for our humble needs :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:15 am

Now I can pull the tiny trailer from the weeds and make a Kayak trailer … with 2 old tires for it … ( just for looks really as we’ll be compelled to warn the next owner of old tires) … but the rims are in excellent shape … “ a trailer is a terrible thing to waste ! “
This time I’m going to get some cheap tire covers to keep the solar/weather exposure down …if it’s going to be sitting , tires might as well be protected … even cheap WM tires :thumbsup:

And always we’re tempted to get some nice rims and tires like the COOL TD builders use … but it’s hard to justify the decorative expense for a “driveway sitter” … :NC

Today we caulked some of the floor by the door and the entry/threshold… used some stiff cardboard ( Tablet backing ) to make a disposable spreader and never even got any on myself :thumbsup: … or my clothes ( naturally I had my Good clothes on ) :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:07 am

Update : … only one little seam in the floor to caulk , and maybe paint the floor … order new tires , no rug yet , but we’re looking !!! Technically , we’re Never finished … but it is FUN eh yeah !!! :D
Ps. The Wife is Happy , storms came their none ( touch wood ) , and now we can think about that Next trailer … in addition to the “improvements" we still want to make to this one ...

Milestone: Five years living outside … !!! It’s now been the longest surviving camper that we've owned, and with very little necessary maintenance up till now , and we know the reason for that eh .. It’s back now and ready … the whole floor replacement , probably one of the scarier repairs that trailers seem to need , actually wasn’t a big a deal as I originally “thought it would be" … if I had a Indoor shop or barn , it would have been even been described as Easy , as trailer repairs go . Working outdoors mostly , every step was interrupted by a deluge . :rainy:
Now the new FS improvements should assure a long useful lifetime … and a happy marriage … ;)

“ There’s no place like Foam “ …. “ There’s no place like Foam “ … :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 am

Now then , we need to find a Fan for ventilation , and it Can’t go in the roof, that would most assuredly leak … I’m thinking right in the back wall across from the mini galley … and then it needs to be able to close for all the rain around here … I’ve been thinking a window fan might be a better idea …??? Not sure … :NC

WE’d planned on some floor vents made of Stainless steel sink strainers and some foam corks for them .. That way cool air could enter on the floor and hot air could go out the highest vent ( a chimney effect, sorta’ ) Critters couldn’t get in , but air could ... ;)
Attachments
strainer .jpg
strainer .jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
Ventilation.png
Ventilation.png (35.28 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies