Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose AC

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose AC

Postby rmcrist » Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Hey everyone,
looks like im getting back in the game of building my 3rd camper. Im looking at AC's and know this is a hot topic - pun intended! I came across a portable A/C with dual hose that puts out 14,000BTUs at 10.8 amps. It seems very intriguing as it is much quieter than a rooftop AC etc.

Link: https://www.whynter.com/product/whynter-eco-friendly-14000-btu-dual-hose-portable-air-conditioner-heater/

Would love to hear opinions on this. I was also going to complement this AC with 2 Fantastic fans - one in main living area and the other in the bedroom.

Keep in mind we live in Texas so we continually see 90+ temps

Thanks!
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Re: Whynter 14,000 BTU Dual Hose AC

Postby phoenixbound » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Thank you for posting this. I am considering this type of unit for my CTC. I look forward to the discussion.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

You guys are just tryin to push buttons, right? Cuz if you have spent any time at all searching this forum, you would know that there is only about one guy who hasn't tossed the portable in favor of another option. But maybe I'm biased and have missed somthing. So, I too am all ears and willing to be open minded. But whatever your experience, please let us know. Welcome back, looking forward to the build.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Let's just say, make sure to try before you buy, or find a source with a 100% NQAMBG
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joel.brian » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 pm

OP,
I searched the forums a bit and found that most people don’t use those kind of portable a/c unit (even the ones with two hoses) because they don’t work well with the way the camper seals. I had originally planned on putting one of those in my build as well but then decided to scrap the idea based on my research. I’m going with a cheap $120 window unit and fabricating into a cabinet with proper venting for intake and exhaust. I found a lot of other people did this successfully in the past on this forum and on airstream trailer forums. Other users on here have stuck window a/c units through the side wall with an opening and they take it out when traveling. And even others (pretty much Mcdave only) love the expensive and cumbersome rooftop a/c units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 pm

A few have even had good luck with mini split systems. About the same price as the portable you are looking at and they heat as well also. Also take a look at "through the wall" units. Some of them do heat too.
Too many decisions. :thinking:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby rmcrist » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks all! Definitely not trying to press any buttons or start a battle - i just know that a lot of portable AC's that were used were just the single hose.

If i build a cabinet around a window AC, i really dont want anything to stick out of the trailer - going for a very sleek look.

Would a window unit like this work: http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LW1517IVSM

Thanks!
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

Joel.brian wrote:OP,
I searched the forums a bit and found that most people don’t use those kind of portable a/c unit (even the ones with two hoses) because they don’t work well with the way the camper seals.

Could you possibly explain this in a little more detail? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to be rude at all.

Thanks!
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 am

Okay, here’s my best summary. Granted, I am not an AC guy and don’t have any experience in this area when it comes to CTC. I have used portable upright air-conditioners in the past inside homes with no problems.

I’ve gathered that most people seal their campers pretty good for insulation reasons, and also so that there are no water leaks and additionally when driving down the road it doesn’t end up getting dusty inside.

That said, the single hose portable air conditioners only have one hose in the back for exhaust. They pull air from inside of the camper, condition it, and spit it back out into the camper while also exhausting hot air out of the back. Because the trailer is so small and fairly air tight, it creates a vacuum inside of the trailer as it’s trying to pull air from inside. It just ends up not being very efficient and doesn’t cool the trailer well. The window AC units not only have an exhaust in the back but they also have an intake as well so you don’t have the vacuum inside the trailer. I have read that the dual hose systems work fairly well because one is the intake and the other is exhaust but it’s all third-party information, I haven’t actually spoken to someone who uses one. I have decided to go the cheaper route with a $120 window unit but I have not fabricated mine yet. I’d like to actually hear from someone who has used one of the single hose or dual hose systems though.

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 am

In my first CTC. I have used single hose. It was not effective for reasons stated. I modified it into a 2 hose, it was better, but still not good. Summary, 1 hose no good, 2 hose better, but not great. 2 hose is lacking due to the size of hoses and air exchange from what I can tell. Better if the AC has uninhibited/unrestricted airflow. It would run almost continually , never got to temp in real hot weather and was 8,000 BTU or 10,000 ( do not recall).

Went to a 5,000 BTU window (14*7 vnose CTC) unit which hung out from an access panel I cut in the rear door. It worked the best and used 1/2 the power and cycled on off as expected. Sold on the window unit as best option for smaller spaces like the CTC below 18' with 5,000 to 8,000 BTU as needed based on insulation level (assuming some), overall volume and typical enviromnent (humid, dry).

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Thu May 17, 2018 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Thu May 17, 2018 11:25 am

I bought the largest most expensive one I could find paid 350.00 and I tried everything from wrap the hose with insulation to placing it out in the center of the trailer and it would not cool during the day.
it was better at night after the outside temp dropped. but in the day you had it sit right in front of it to feel the ( cool air) but stand up and the heat from the top of the trailer was over whelming.
I have used a 5000 and a 8000 btu window unit and the 8000 works the best, what I like is the 8000 will get the trailer cold really fast the 5000 does also but takes hours instead of minutes .
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm

I have yet to setup an AC in my CTC and I am not an AC guy, but it seems like two hose system would work fairly well. If I do it I will draw the air from under the trailer and exhaust the air to the front. Two 6" holes for the hoses seems better that cutting a much larger hole for a window AC.What could possibly go wrong??? :worship:
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm

phoenixbound wrote:I have yet to setup an AC in my CTC and I am not an AC guy, but it seems like two hose system would work fairly well. If I do it I will draw the air from under the trailer and exhaust the air to the front. Two 6" holes for the hoses seems better that cutting a much larger hole for a window AC.What could possibly go wrong??? :worship:

Be sure to post if you have good luck with it or not. I’ve never found someone that is actually satisfied with it. Just people saying that it works ok.

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jwhite » Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 pm

What could possibly go wrong???

you would have to patch the hole in the floor and hope your not walking over that are very often, and you would waste a few hundred dollars on something that barely works.
that's all
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

All single hose units svck.

wrt double-hose units, only a very few posters have expressed satisfaction out of hundreds.

The majority iirc have been in boating forums, where they usually pay a lot more for quality.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions