Raven's Nest update 12/28/2021

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 3/20/18

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am

Staryder61 wrote:Want to flare out the back end of the fenders,, :roll: 16ga metal,, thinking of trying heat to make it (easier).. then a form and clamps to help with the bending..
Any opinions on doing so?? can it be done or not? :thinking:

Need more info. Are you talking about just tweaking the outer lip a tad, or are you wanting to put a big duck tail on the rear like a 30's auto fender? What shape are the fenders now and what shape are you going for? 16ga is pretty thick to be hand forming.

Sorry, but I have to chuckle a little bit; you sent fenders back because the paint was marred and now you are planning to heat, bend and potentially mangle the replacement set. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 am

KCStudly wrote:
Need more info. Are you talking about just tweaking the outer lip a tad, or are you wanting to put a big duck tail on the rear like a 30's auto fender? What shape are the fenders now and what shape are you going for? 16ga is pretty thick to be hand forming.

Sorry, but I have to chuckle a little bit; you sent fenders back because the paint was marred and now you are planning to heat, bend and potentially mangle the replacement set. :lol:

KC,

I understand the chuckle here.. ;) I wasn't real clear of the damage to the first set. They were not painted, the metal was gouged with really deep scratches, and the 1" round over on the edges of both fenders were bent in several places along the edges :(

Fenders are half round shape now, ordered them with the possibility of doing a type of duck tail flip on them.. YES, to give a 30's auto fender look..
Wanted to see if anyone thought my idea was possible before I tried it and as you said "potentially mangle the replacement set"
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 17, 2018 6:09 am

Ah, metal in the raw is a different sitch-u-ation. Anything is possible. You could cut a section off and graft on a newly formed piece. Another approach would be to trim the lip off in the section you are trying to reform, and then weld a new lip on. You will be unlikely to reform the section with the lip intact, unless you have a stretcher.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am

KCStudly wrote:Ah, metal in the raw is a different sitch-u-ation. Anything is possible. You could cut a section off and graft on a newly formed piece. Another approach would be to trim the lip off in the section you are trying to reform, and then weld a new lip on. You will be unlikely to reform the section with the lip intact, unless you have a stretcher.

KC, Thanks .
My thing is working with wood, working with metal is your thing.. ;) where as my knowledge and working with metal is very limited. :NC

Though, if it's possible, then there's hope.. :thinking:
You have given me a couple ideas to think about, so I'll take a couple days and think this through more before I start it..
I'll post pics when they are finished either way..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 5/28/18

Postby Staryder61 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Quick update:

After the recovery and all the pain from having the vein in my leg fixed. :( I've finally been able to get back to work on the Raven. :)
No pics here, wiring is boring..
I have spend the last three days on my electrical harness for all my stop, brake, tail, and clearance lights. I scraped the idea of charging while towing.
There's really no use. :roll: ;)

working on it wrote...

When I changed my trailer wiring from a 4-pin to 7-pin, after adding brakes, I decided not to utilize the charging circuit, to keep my AGM battery up to snuff. Instead, I use a battery maintainer at home, and at camp, as well. My electrical draws are so low, using LED lighting (both 115vac and 12vdc), and computer case fans for venting, that I figured that it wasn't worth hooking it up to the tow vehicle.

Thanks to working on it, for the tip.. :thumbsup:

I will have on board battery maintainer that can be used while parked at home and when hooked up to shore power. ;)

Bought a 7 pin plug adapter, new wire and made my own harness. I did add the extra wire when making the harness, for the back up lights on the tear.

Finished getting it all wired last night, after rechecking it all, finally everything works the way it should.. :applause: :thumbsup:
Now I can focus on other things..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 am

Staryder61 wrote:Quick update:

After the recovery and all the pain from having the vein in my leg fixed. :( I've finally been able to get back to work on the Raven. :)
No pics here, wiring is boring..
I have spend the last three days on my electrical harness for all my stop, brake, tail, and clearance lights. I scraped the idea of charging while towing.
There's really no use. :roll: ;)

working on it wrote...

When I changed my trailer wiring from a 4-pin to 7-pin, after adding brakes, I decided not to utilize the charging circuit, to keep my AGM battery up to snuff. Instead, I use a battery maintainer at home, and at camp, as well. My electrical draws are so low, using LED lighting (both 115vac and 12vdc), and computer case fans for venting, that I figured that it wasn't worth hooking it up to the tow vehicle.

Thanks to working on it, for the tip..

I will have on board battery maintainer that can be used while parked at home and when hooked up to shore power. ;)

Bought a 7 pin plug adapter, new wire and made my own harness. I did add the extra wire when making the harness, for the back up lights on the tear.

Finished getting it all wired last night, after rechecking it all, finally everything works the way it should.. :applause:
Now I can focus on other things..
Awesome news! Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm

clamlamp wrote:Awesome news! Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thanks clam,, doing a lot better. Sure enjoy being able to do things more..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:48 am

David,

It's good to hear that you are "repaired" and back in action. My teardrop build was a start and stop project that lasted 3+ years. It definitely was built on "teardrop time."

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:36 am

Tom, Thank you.

Good to hear from you.
Yes, repaired for now. :thumbsup: funny how many things show up with age :D Doctor wants to do the right leg, waiting a little to see if the left does as good as he says it will. Enough about that. :roll:

With the wiring finally done. Can get started on the outside insulation and skinning. And don't ya know. Temps are supposed to be above 100 this weekend. ;) be taking a lot of cool off breaks.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/18/18 Hatch

Postby Staryder61 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm

After this delay or another,, :NC
Have finally started on the Raven's Hatch construction... ;)

Routed the sides down 3/8 " for the weather stripping
155331 155332

Used template to draw off hatch ribs, using 1/2 " baltic birch for all ribs, two side ribs will be doubled, then rough cutting ribs for the hatch with saber saw..
The first set of ribs I fabricated were out of 3/4" ply, warped and twisted badly, before I could get the hatch built, because of a major delay... So decided on using Baltic birch to build my hatch. A lot easier to work with, cut and rout..

Notice : the thickness of the ribs in the middle area, I added this area to the ribs to help prevent spring back when the skin is applied..
155329 155330

After rough cutting the baltic birch ribs with saber saw, attached the template and used a flush router bit to rout the ribs to exact size..
155333 155334 155335

Clamping ribs to sides with 1/4" spacers
155336 155337 155338

Double 3/4" oak for cabin hinge header, 3/4" oak with 3/4" Popular for the hinge to mount on hatch, left 5/16" gap for the hurricane hinge
155343 155344

Positioning center ribs for gluing, nailing and screws

Notice : the thickness of the ribs in the middle area, I added this area to the ribs to help prevent spring back when the skin is applied..
155342 155345
155340 155341 155339

I'm using 3/4" x 1 1/2" struts between the ribs, will glue, nail or screw where I can, and add extra glue blocks for added stability...
Building the hatch in place seems like the easy way to do it. once completed it should work very easy and keep the same gap on both sides of the hatch between the walls. so far I am very pleased with the way it is turning out..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Looks great David! Have been awaiting your updates! Keep it up! :beer:
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:15 pm

clamlamp wrote:Looks great David! Have been awaiting your updates! Keep it up! :beer:

Thanks clam, it's been awhile. Though moving along with it right now.
Our temperatures keep climbing. Supposed to hit 108 :sweaty: today with heat index of 110 or 111. Has been 100 or above for a few days now. So I've been getting up at 4:30, and working on it at a slow pace for a few hours before it gets to hot. :roll:
Ribs and struts went pretty good so far. ;) Now will have to take a day or two and figure out :thinking: how to french ( inset ) the tail lights and license plate.
Have you been camping much so far?
Be safe, watch the heat, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/19/18 Hatch Build

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Up early and at shop at 6 am,

With ribs in yesterday, some struts and glue blocks in place this morning. Waiting on the rest of the struts while I figure out how to French the openings in the hatch for the lights.

155349 155350

French openings for lights, PVC pipe coupler joint fits the lights perfect, and able to use rubber grommet that came with the lights to seal them inside pipe coupler. Make for easy replacement for light.

155351 155352 155353

Tomorrow will figure out how to mount the PVC couplers in the hatch.. so they'll be in place during the skinning..

Now a little something for all those food people on here..... 8)

Took a break, hit the grocery store. Back home with an 8 lb brisket. Fired up the smoker, adjusted to 280 degrees. Mixed BBQ sauce, fajita seasoning, garlic, and course ground pepper. Covered the brisket heavy with the sauce mixture, then wrapped with bacon and covered bacon with rest of sauce. Smoke with mesquite wood for 7 hours.. yummmm ;) :thumbsup: :D

Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Re: Raven's Nest - Update 7/19/18 Hatch Build

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Nom, nom, nom. That looks delish'!!!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
clamlamp wrote:Looks great David! Have been awaiting your updates! Keep it up! :beer:

Have you been camping much so far?
Be safe, watch the heat, David

I only went that one time to test it out, after that my dad had a stroke and so I've been busy taking are of him and trying to understand Medicare in all it's complexities. He was fortunate to be able to move his body again but his real weakness is in his cognitive ability. I hope to be able to do a weekender as soon as possible.
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals