Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am

Time to take a break. So I thought I'd post a pic. Got the top part of the galley bulkhead rough cut out. Not looking forward to fitting all the doors and openings. Going to save that for a different session. Back out to the shop in a bit. Time to start on the lower half of the bulkhead, counter top, and bottom cabinets and shelves.

[img]
DSCF3770a.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
DSCF3770a.jpg
DSCF3770a.jpg (84.38 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Fri May 11, 2018 1:05 pm

You must have done quiet a bit of pencil scratching. Sounds like you have things pretty well thought out and yes I should have my own build journal,sorry for taking up space on yours. I do enjoy comparing notes. Today is a zero day in the garage , it feels like winter again. Doing stuff on computer. I need a lot of parts . Don't worry I won't list them here. :)
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri May 18, 2018 6:52 am

Have not had much time for the tear the past week. Couple hours here and there. Been trudging my way through fitting the doors to their openings for the galley cabinets. Alos looks like this fir plywood wants to curl up pretty bad. Most likely I will have to add stiffeners to the backs of the doors to keep them straight. So more fussy little stiffner sticks to cut, glue, and clamp up to slow me down a bit.

Still not settled on under counter storage and shelves. I think I might not use the slide out drawer I built for the cooler/camp stove. Storing those 2 items the narrow way instead of the wide way gains me 6" more in storage width in the galley. I have a good amount of gear I want to leave stocked in the camper. So those few inches actually matter to me. Plan is to be able to hookup and go, with minimal loading, when I wish to travel.

I should be able to finish fitting the last galley door today. Then it's time to nail down the layout of this under counter storage and get it built.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Mon May 21, 2018 4:36 pm

I was always concerned about that situation , I mean ply taking on a bend and having to straighten out after ward. My exterior walls and inner core piece's were cut and i didn't wast a lot of time gluing and screwing together . I moved right along always trying to keep every thing square and straight. Are you using 3/4 single ply for doors? I did a lot of mock up work last Thursday and Friday. I put in some rough stands and braces to hold up some 1/4" ply piece's to simulate shelving and counter top. I'm getting height and depth. This last weekend I had to put out the pier for My dad . He's at that age that he can't handle it any more. So nothing done on the weekend. I found out it rained most of the time down here anyway.150142
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon May 21, 2018 7:05 pm

The doors with the warp are my galley bulkhead cabinet doors. The galley bulkhead is 3/8" thick fir. I'm using the opening cut outs as the cabinet doors. That's whats curling a bit. It will be fine with the stiffeners added. I'm just whining about the little extra work is all. I really hoped to make some great progress this season and don't want to add any extra work.

Good news is I have finalized the under counter galley storage cabinet shelf layout. So I've been building the cabinet partitions and shelf supports. I'm real happy with the amount of gear I'll be able to stow back there. A place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Last week was my first week as a part timer at work. I think I'll get used to this quick. Nice to come home after work and still have 2-3hrs. to hammer on the tear.

Glad to hear you got your dad's pier up for him. Hope you both spend some time enjoying the water. I'll be heading to visit my dad in a few weeks to celebrate his 90th birthday. Sure hope I age as well as he has. :thumbsup:
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue May 22, 2018 5:12 pm

Got a few more hours in on the tear and have a good start on the removable lower rear bulkhead galley cabinet. Still need to cut and install multiple shelf supports and shelves in the cabinet. After quite a bit of stacking and shifting of items I was able to fit the following camp gear in the cabinet space real nice.

From left to right the partition spaces will hold:

Space 1: Ice chest, Coleman camp stove and 2 1lb propane bottles
Space 2: Portable gas grill and dish washing tub
Space 3: A stack of 3 plastic mesh storage baskets
Space 4: Coleman lantern, 1 gal Coleman fuel, 5gal water jug, silverware storage divider
Space 5: Spare tire

I have to work the next few days but will still chip away at it a few hours each day after work.

DSCF3773a.jpg
DSCF3773a.jpg (115.31 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 am

Good progress. I know what you mean about that work thing getting in the way for the next three day's. My job texted me last night and he has something for me to do either Thursday or Friday. Pretty flexible on that account. Is that hole on the last partition for mounting and securing your tire? Have you put any stiffeners on your galley door's yet . I wonder if you could double up by cutting another piece of 3/8" ply as a backer , it would fit in your opening like a plug but glued to back side to stiffen. Should do something like that on a flat surface and weight it down to insure a flat outcome. Birch plywood would have a little different look, shade wise but might be a little more stable. I'm thinking your using all 3/8" back at your galley keeping thing's light and not trying to add weight to this project. I'm still in the mock up mode this morning. I need to narrow down dimension's for bulkhead wall and how high up I want it to go. 154583
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Yep the round hole is access to the J bolt and wing nut to tie down the spare to the wall. Thanks for the tip on stiffening the doors. I may take a look at that. I've had the cabinet doors under a heavy tool box on the floor of the tear for a couple days now. You can see the tool box in the last photo. The doors are getting pretty flat. Had a look at them today.

You're right on the 3/8" ply in galley trying to keep things lighter. The cabinet structural parts and counter top are 3/8". The shelves in the cabinet will be 1/4".

Got a couple hours on it today after work. Made my spice/condiment cabinet box. It goes behind the left upper galley cabinet door. Also got some more bracing and sanding done to the galley bulkhead cabinet. It really fits in place nice and it goes in and out easily. Just what I wanted.

Your galley mock up is looking good. I hope you have a "sit and stare" chair nearby. I keep one nearby so when I take a break I can stare at what I'm doing and let the gears turn in my head.

Between work and other obligations I may have to leave it sit for 3-4 days. I really hate losing the time. Winter was soooo long. I've had enough delay and want to keep at it.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 pm

It's funny you say that because the last photo was taken from my swivel seat down on the garage floor, which i have adjusted all the way down and it allows me move back and forth inside the tear when I'm working on something. I no longer like kneeling its a killer for me and that seat has worked pretty good up to this point. Today I had the graph paper out and sitting on that seat , I came up with some dimensions for galley piece's. Then I started on some vertical cleats for tying bulkhead into side wall and floor. Mostly sizing and cutting two cleat's and drilling for pocket hole screws. I have to go in early tomorrow to my part time job. So maybe after I get back I can size and cut the bulkhead. I have to make one more cleat for the floor. For me getting these cleat's in and bulkhead is another good step forward and leads me right to the counter top and cabinet's. It's all in how I'm visualizing this going together. Flying solo, Flying slow and hopping I make a good 3 point landing posting.php?mode=reply&f=50&t=64721#
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Thu May 24, 2018 5:25 am

Don't know if you saw this. Teardrop meet up in Pardeville WI. 6/1/18 to 6/3/18. The girlfriend and I are going Saturday 6/2 to see all the campers. Looks like they have quite a few campers coming. Should be fun and inspiring. Link to meet info on this site : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69548
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Yes I have. I have gone to the September camp inn camp out gathering at the end of September at Castel rock Park - Mauston Wi. Wife and I talked to folkes about there teardrops and there were all different kinds. I ended up talking to (woodbutcher), you maybe familiar with the handle he's a regular on this forum. We gathered some idea's , some suggestion's and a general enthusiasm for the camper and the group.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Been making some progress on the lower galley cabinet. I've been chipping away at it a couple hours here and there after work. Got some time in on it today as well.
Finished the cooler, stove, and propane storage cube today. It all fits by fractions of an inch. It will clear all my hatch ribs and lower weather strip rail etc. I can tuck two 1lb spare propane bottles under the camp stove floor. Most of the water jug, silverware cube is finished too. Got the countertop cut and fit. Next up is the cube that holds the propane grill and dish washing tub.

Saturday I stopped at a teardrop event held at nearby campground. Had a real nice time meeting folks and viewing their teardrops. It really put a charge in my enthusiasm to get going on mine. The event was at a real nice campground. I would love to have been there in my camper. Still a long way to go before I can go camping in mine.

Couple progress pics:

DSCF3779a.jpg
DSCF3779a.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

DSCF3781a.jpg
DSCF3781a.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 3424 times

DSCF3783a.jpg
DSCF3783a.jpg (133.33 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Got started right after breakfast today. I had ribs for lunch!!
That is I have my hatch ribs cut out and belt sanded just in time to break for lunch. So I mocked them up in there approximate locations so I could have a look.

I still have more work to do to the lower galley cabinet. I was just getting tired of it, so decided to switch to the hatch parts. Do something different for a while. Since I was feeling lazy I let random luck decide if the hatch would have vertical or horizontal ribs. I wanted to do vertical ribs, but was not in the mood to go wrestle a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood home from the lumber yard by myself. So I left it to fate. I knew I had some plywood stashed in my storage shed but did not know what thickness it was. So I said if it's 3/4" vertical ribs it will be. If not than horizontal would be the way it would go. As luck would have it there was a sheet of 3/4" there.

Might have to pull the plug on more work on the tear today. Lot's of other work to do this afternoon. I might get back out in the garage after dinner to clean up and straighten up the tools. It's really out of control out there, I'm not a neat worker.

DSCF3786a.jpg
DSCF3786a.jpg (134.61 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

DSCF3788a.jpg
DSCF3788a.jpg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Your jumping ahead of me again . Just as I thought I was making some progress on my cabinet's ,you up the ante. This is good
but i need more report's to keep motivate. I have given the galley horizontal or vertical rib's consideration but left that on the back burner till I get to that point. Cabinet's for me for the last three day's and a lot of custom cutting to fit everything . This afternoon was sanding and getting one coat of finish on. For me it is easier to do before i screw and glue in place. 154730154729
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:07 am

I don't know how ahead of you I am. I think we are just further along in different areas than each other. I can already tell this may not be the season I finish it up. Each time I make forward progress, I realize how much more there is to do.
You will have a chance to "catch up" on me over the next 3 days. Back to work I go. So maybe 2-4 hrs a day after I get home, to work on the tear. Plus I have some do over work with the hatch ribs. The first 2 ribs I cut are real tacky compared to the second two. Seems I went berserk with the saw at first. Not a belt sander big enough to get them right. They would be like fish ribs when I sanded them enough. So I'm going to cut 2 fresh ones. That may be tonight's after work project.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals