The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Peanut butter and apricot jam sounds scrumptious! You can keep the marmite; I never developed a taste for it. ;)

All in good fun, right mate? :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:20 pm

KCStudly wrote:Peanut butter and apricot jam sounds scrumptious! You can keep the marmite; I never developed a taste for it. ;)

All in good fun, right mate? :D

One of the times my father was in hospital, there was an American in the bed opposite him who had been bought in ill from a cruise ship. One morning after breakfast his wife arrived to visit. She was looking at the marmite sachet on his breakfast tray wondering what it was. He said "dont touch that, its gone bad". :lol:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 20, 2018 8:03 pm

:lol:

Yesterday was the 9th annual spring Unimog Fest in Palmer, Mass (there is also a fall gathering, so it was the 17th occurrence). There were several Mercedes Unimogs, three Swiss military Pinzgauers, a Mercedes G Wagon, two Jeep Rubicons (including my friend Larry's stock silver '04 Wrangler), and a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Here is a short video I put together from the pics and vids I took with my phone (sorry, I'm no expert at editing video).
Unimog Fest East Spring 2018 Palmer, Mass
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 am

Thanks for the video clip KC. That would be a fun outing for my old Land Rover. Pity it's a bit far from here.

Any more progress on the Express? I can't wait to see that thing come out of the loft. A video clip of that will be a must see. :thumbsup:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 am

Your video was just fine. That was a pretty cool gathering of vehicles.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks guys. Yeah the Mog fest is always a good time with a great group of people.

So my pool team went deep into the regional finals this season, but, alas, we only won one of the two requisite playoff matches to make it to the state finals. We didn't do as well last year in regular season but made it to East Windsor as the 2nd tier wildcard. This year we did better, putting us into the 1st tier playoff, but didn't win. Go figure, they always give the underdog a shot and this time we were "tweeners". Now our team captain will be away on business for an extended period, and a few other members are looking for some time off, so it looks like we will be sitting out the next session. That will free me up for at least 12 weeks to get going on the camper (and fridge) again. At least that is the plan.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Funny how fast 6 years can go by … :o Glad you’re back …. :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:30 pm

So our team captain failed to tell the pool organization that we were taking time off and they put us on the schedule again. We didn’t realize until the last minute, and didn’t want to leave the opposing team hanging, nor did we want to have to pay the game fees without playing, so we pulled a team together and are back in it again. Oh well.

Still made a little progress on the fridge lid and camper this weekend. The top two plies of 6oz glass on the lid were well cured and ready to be trimmed.

I used the cheap serrated steak knife in a sawing action making sure to cut on the push stroke, thus not risking separation of the glass from the lid (not that it was a big concern, just being cautious).

The knife has coarser serrations and a larger bevel on one side, so I keep that side up and it follows the edge easier without digging down in. There always seems to be a bit of a bead of epoxy right at the edge that would be very difficult to trim off with the knife, so I just glide above that taking the dangerous spiked bits and easy stuff off. The long cured epoxy was notably harder to cut than when I catch it the next day when it is still a little “green”, but it wasn't too difficult. Here’s a closeup of the standing edge after the rough cut.

Here it is after rough sanding with 36 grit on the medium block. Note the dusty fibers. Always wear your respirator. Just a bit more work with the 100 grit and this will clean up nicely.

A little test fit before washing off the amine with water and a greenie pad.

After making sure that the wooden underside was good and dry (weather was good and I held it in front of the big fan for a bit), I laid a single ply of 6oz on the under side. First I wet out the cloth on a piece of plastic sheet on the bench, then brushed the plywood to make sure it was wet and did not leach out too much epoxy from the glass. Rather than using the PMPP technique, I figured the piece was small enough to just pick it up and lay it by hand. That nearly backfired with some big ripples and the cloth getting a little skewed, but it was small enough that I could lift an edge here and there, and squeegee it out flat again. I had to remove a bit of excess epoxy, too. Then I trimmed the edge close while wet (to avoid the dreaded edge lift blisters), and went over everything again with the short bristle brush making sure everything was poked down good.

In the previous pic you can clearly see the flocked edge and a couple of the filled screw holes where the flocking dam had been temporarily screwed on.

Today I prepared a couple of areas on the street side of the cabin that had blistered up; one the size of a large triangular corn chip behind the door, and the other about the size of a silver dollar in front of the door, both about 3/4 of the way up. Rather than just drill a fill and vent hole, I decided to drill several holes around the perimeter and one in the middle of each area. This ended up being easier to know that I was getting epoxy in and all of the air out. At first I was worried that these delaminations were due to the spackle, but there wasn’t any evidence of it under the second spot, and the areas were clearly bulged out, so I’m left wondering if there is some sort of off gassing going on. I did have to wipe the whole side of the camper down first as there was a layer of shop dust collected on it, which is how I found the second spot (which I had not noticed in earlier operations so can only conclude that it developed in the interim).

Anyway, I had trimmed the bottom ply of glass from the fridge lid, washed amine, sanded the edges flush in addition to some drips and stray strands of glass; and clamped the lid with some standoff blocks to the edge of the bench so that the back edge was held horizontal. Then I mixed up a small batch of epoxy, wet the edge and laid a strip of 6oz on it. Dabbed on a bit more epoxy, and trimmed the excess glass close.

I used a hypo syringe (just the syringe, no needle) to inject epoxy into the holes I had drilled, palpitating the blisters to pump air out and let excess standing epoxy slurp back in (since the cabin is still laying on its side). I had already prepared a couple of pieces of 1/2 plywood with release material (one I used packing tape and the other I just stuffed into a zip lock baggy), which I placed on top with a full gallon jug on each to weigh them down flat. I made sure to leave one of the drill holes uncovered so that any excess epoxy could squeeze out (which I wiped up with a paper towel so as not to leave a large hard lump later).

The rest of the epoxy I mixed with some fairing filler and spread on some of the unfilled weave of the front of the wall. I’m not a body man and am getting discouraged by the scope of work left to do to get this thing even close to fair. Had a fleeting think about just going to paint without bothering to fair the rest of the weave. I dunno, maybe the heat was getting to me, so I called it a day there.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Okay, this just got handed off to me at work after one of our technical support guys left suddenly.

Lulzbot 6 Taz 3D printer!

Hmm, :thinking: I wonder what we can do with this (besides make little plastic octopi)?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:06 am

Little printed LED Trailer key Fobs … :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:14 pm

A plug to make a sand cast impression and pour a trim badge for TPCE. They even have metal filled plastics for advanced parts making.

A miniature copy of TPCE with functional hatch, side doors and tongue box lid (might have to bodge the hinges to a suitable size).

I'm told that this thing can even render fairly decent threaded holes that will take a bolt.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 am

KC, a friend who is an auto mechanic told me they can even print taillight lenses for cars now … any model …. 8) , but it’s Pricy ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:21 am

I think, where I was going to fabricate the fridge lid hinge tabs out of SS, I might try them in the PLA plastic first. It would be a good starter project for me; the parts would be lighter in weight; and they just might be robust enough for the light weight lid. Also, I am less concerned about the ultimate appearance and finish on the fridge, so the little tiny inclusions, voids and steps that are part and parcel to the typical 3D printed product will be less of an issue here.

Might even work on that some this evening.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 am

The hinges sound like a very appropriate first project. The thought of making blanks for sand casting is promising as well. I keep seeing things on casting aluminum with old beer cans. Build a tera cota forge.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:23 pm

Original sketch of fridge lid hinge tabs:

Slightly modified 3D printed version:
Basically I made them 1/8 inch thk instead of 1/16, which required a slight counter bore to allow for the head of the hinge pin post (I kind of guessed at the size of the head, so might require a revision/redo after test fitting... will probably redo either way because the 82 deg countersink for the FH screws left them slightly proud... or maybe I'll just run a countersink bit in them).

Here's a previous pic showing the hinge pin head profile and lid offset:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies