Hello from Vancouver, BC

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Vancouver, BC

Postby KJ604 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Hello all,
My name is Tom, Im 28 and live in Vancouver, BC. I've been following this site for a few years now, just absorbing all the information I can until I decided to pull the trigger and start building something.
I've taught myself to use Sketchup and have built myself a pretty good starting point for my little project, which will be a 4x9 replica of the Chilean CampBox trailers.

So I ran into a hurdle in my design that is confusing me a bit, and decided to make my first post here to ask the question. Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched high & low for an answer...

Is a 4' wide trailer actually wider than 4'?
I am building my own frame, which i had designed at 48“ to the outside edges. When shopping for an appropriate straight axle with springs, I noticed the spring centers are also at 48" which means the axle wont fit my frame.
Its got me wondering if I need to make a 49.5" frame or something instead.. And if I do... Does that mean a 4' wide plywood sheet for the deck also be wider than 48“?

I wouldn't mind buying a book to read about this but there are too many to choose from so i don't know what's the best... If you guys have any recommendations, im all ears.
KJ604
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Vancouver, BC

Postby KJ604 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Does nobody use this forum anymore?
KJ604
Teardrop Inspector

Postby edgeau » Fri May 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi. My 5 foot trailer is 5 foot on the bed. The wheels sit outside that..

The question might get more responses if you post in the construction tips and techniques section.

Good luck with your build.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Vedette » Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 am

Hi Tom
Welcome to the Forum......and yes it is a little slow this time of year........lots of members are out camping.
We were at Shasta Lake Gathering when you posted, and just return from a trip up the Oregon coast.
Anyway, getting back to your trailer. There are lots of plans and books on building teardrop trailers (or so I am told. as I don't build conventional Teardrop Trailers myself), and if you have been following the Forum for a few years now, you will know that there is plenty of information available here.
First two things "I would suggest" you reconsider, 4 ft wide trailer and a sprung axle??????
Go 5' wide and use a Dexter rubber ride (torsion style) axle........you won't regret either of these choices.
We have towed our teardrop "Miss Piggy" 63,000 miles over the past 5 years and slept in her 276 nights, so I am not making these suggestions lightly. :thinking:
Do as much homework as you can, and avoid trying to "Cheap Out" on anything, as it will cost you double or more in the long run.
Good Luck with your build.
And if you ever want to talk teardrop trailers just PM me your phone number.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PNW & B.C. Tear Jerkers Chapter Directors
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 am

Howdy from just below the line in Ferndale, WA.
I am building something that isn't a teardrop or anything else I've seen on here on a 5x8 northern tool aluminum trailer, so I can't really answer your questions specifically. I will say that building the trailer frame itself sounds hard unless you have previous skill, Knowledge, etc. I bet there are people on here that can guide you if you ask in a specific section of the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves