Facebook kills the forum........

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Facebook kills the forum........

Postby crttaz » Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 am

Facebook has killed many forums I used to be a part of. Mostly people too lazy to search and need their questions answered NOW and when asked to do some research, they don't have time for that. I'm sorry, I have twenty years of working on a certain subset of cars and you want the silver spoon treatment?

Yes, I got called the grumpy old fart, but I could still out Google search them when they said they couldn't find it, or did they even try? Nope, todays generation wants instant gratification without putting in the work.

PB screwed up so many forums, there is no going back. You think anyone would give them a penny after what they did? Never. If they would have rolled out reasonable plans more people MIGHT have joined, but PB blew off both feet at once.

Disabling PM's on here is a joke, what is there to hide? Unless this was a sex service/lot lizard/dating site with known transactions in PM's, there was no need to disable them.

Keep the forum software up to date as hijacking it is a known issue, Ask AutoGuide/VerticalScope when they were hacked, I was part of a few forums when that went down, including ADMIN on a few boards.

Oh yeah, I'm using a username I first created in 1995....I've been around a while.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby edgeau » Wed May 30, 2018 5:39 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I really don't think Facebook killed the forum. Anyone who finds their place on Facebook probably really doesn't have much to offer here.

The thing that hurt this forum is Photobucket. So many threads are next to useless when the pictures are missing. When I started looking into building a tear I hated this site because of that. Luckily I found a few threads that gave me the info I was looking for.

I really didn't care when the PM's went away, but now there is a guy local to me I would like to contact but really don't know how to now. It shouldn't be that hard.

I would say the forum almost needs a reboot. Archive all the dead end threads where they can still be seen but like in a separate forum. Carry over some of the best build threads, have fewer sub forums, bring back PM's. Use different forum software that allows for a like button. So often I look at a build thread and would like to be able to push the like button to let the poster know I'm following along and like what he/she is doing. I hate to put that in the thread because It doesn't add anything to the thread. Look at some of the foamie threads. On the other side it takes a lot of work to do a build thread, it's a pain to upload pictures here. I got to the point, do I want to spend an hour adding pictures and updating my build thread or spend another hour working in the garage? I didn't even know if anyone was looking at the thread to warrant the work.

How often do you see a post that says "I'm new from XX, and am looking forward bah, bah, bah". and maybe one reply back saying welcome. That is not the sign of a growing forum. Sure a lot of people come here and get the info they need, build a camper and never come back, but is there a reason to come back? How about a trip report forum where you can post pictures and the route you took on a trip. Nice campgrounds. Maybe it is already here but I haven't found it.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Todd
On the difficulty of doing photos, I quickly found using Tapatalk on the phone to post is the easiest way. Did all my build photos like that. Take snaps while working and post on the phone at the end of the day. No converting needed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 am

Re: posting photos. I've found this forum no more difficult than any other for the upload. It used to be more difficult, but this forum became easier and photobucket became more of a pain. I'm glad I put them all here so my build thread is still intact, even after 10 years.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

not supporting them, but facebook doesn't kill forums, peopl

Postby Ottsville » Wed May 30, 2018 7:12 am

crttaz wrote:Facebook has killed many forums I used to be a part of. Mostly people too lazy to search and need their questions answered NOW and when asked to do some research, they don't have time for that. I'm sorry, I have twenty years of working on a certain subset of cars and you want the silver spoon treatment?

This is why I prefer the forum format. We have an rpod and the facebook owners group constantly has the same several questions being asked. It's very annoying and as such has little to offer the more knowledgeable, less lazy members with a bit of common sense.

crttaz wrote: Nope, todays generation wants instant gratification without putting in the work.

Don't blame this on age or generation - most of the people on the Rpod owners' forum are 40+ - hardly "today's generation." This is a societal shift.

KTM_Guy wrote:I really don't think Facebook killed the forum. Anyone who finds their place on Facebook probably really doesn't have much to offer here.

Good point.

KTM_Guy wrote:The thing that hurt this forum is Photobucket. So many threads are next to useless when the pictures are missing. When I started looking into building a tear I hated this site because of that. Luckily I found a few threads that gave me the info I was looking for.

There's browser extensions that resolve the photobucket issue. (try googling it)

KTM_Guy wrote:I would say the forum almost needs a reboot. Archive all the dead end threads where they can still be seen but like in a separate forum. Carry over some of the best build threads, have fewer sub forums, bring back PM's. Use different forum software that allows for a like button.

This forum software is pretty outdated, but without this being an offshoot of a for-profit site it probably won't get changed. Take a look at this forum though to see a much cleaner interface that is more user friendly(and some wicked builds): https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/expedition-trailers.42/.

There are too many sub forums here. It is very difficult to find good information since what you are looking for may be spread across multiple sub-forums.

KTM_Guy wrote:How often do you see a post that says "I'm new from XX, and am looking forward bah, bah, bah". and maybe one reply back saying welcome. That is not the sign of a growing forum.

So true, my intro post has 87 views and not one "welcome." Not that I want it, but that type of thing is a way to build community, especially when you have new members and want to keep them and make them into active, contributing members.

KTM_Guy wrote:Sure a lot of people come here and get the info they need, build a camper and never come back, but is there a reason to come back? How about a trip report forum where you can post pictures and the route you took on a trip. Nice campgrounds. Maybe it is already here but I haven't found it.

:thumbsup:
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed May 30, 2018 8:46 am

One thing I did not see mentioned (maybe I missed it) when doing a search how many time did you get directed to a forum (or archived edition of forum) or commercial site for information, how many time to facebook or twitter, greed and the advent of "social media" changed the way we trade mostly useless dribble we call information... As for "staying" connected, that came out of cell phone industry so you would use more air time and make more money for cellular company, mostly what it has done is interrupt the serenity of your lives and just make you paranoid that we can't instantly validate a moment of pleasure or fear of various aspects of our lives... Used to hate young people working under my direction, would finally go out too alley and fine them talking on cell phone, question was "what are you doing out here?"... Answer "checking on my wife", question " .....Is she sick, pregnant with complications, in hospital, traveling/"... Answer "no".... GET BACK TO WORK.... Cell phones cost industry more money from lost work time at job than injury or sickness...That is why industry likes robots, the cant talk on cell phones...

IF what bothers you about i-net and cell phones and so called news programs or entertainment (Roseann) on the tube...TURN OFF cell phone, turn off computer (i-net), turn off boob tube....

After all the social media and entertainment entities out there are all about two things, money (greed) and information about you or you getting it.... Sit back in comfy chair and read a book, but remember the library is also recording your name/card number and reading preference when they scan books you check out and you library card....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 am

I didn't know PM's had been disabled!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Picture galleries are gone too ( the little camera thingie ) :o All that work trying to share ideas … :duh:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed May 30, 2018 1:04 pm

GPW wrote:Picture galleries are gone too ( the little camera thingie ) :o All that work trying to share ideas … :duh:

Do you mean the camera icon with the link to personal albums? I still see them.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm

I often refer them here!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2018 5:24 am

Sparks , you’re one of the few we can see with a personal album button … Curious … ??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 am

It is sad to hear all the complaints. This is a free Forum and just like watching TV or listening to the radio you can change the channel. Mike has put in lots of time and effort to get this up and running and keep it going. Lets try and find a solution instead of trashing this board. If you click on my name you can see my email address. I set up a separate email account for this forum when PM was disabled. If you need to contact someone post your email in your comments.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu May 31, 2018 7:11 am

greygoos wrote:It is sad to hear all the complaints. This is a free Forum and just like watching TV or listening to the radio you can change the channel. Mike has put in lots of time and effort to get this up and running and keep it going. Lets try and find a solution instead of trashing this board. If you click on my name you can see my email address. I set up a separate email account for this forum when PM was disabled. If you need to contact someone post your email in your comments.

Hear hear. Mike has done a great job with this forum. :applause:

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am

GPW wrote:Sparks , you’re one of the few we can see with a personal album button … Curious … ??? :thinking:

Strange indeed. Where's my camera?! :? :cry:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:
GPW wrote:Sparks , you’re one of the few we can see with a personal album button … Curious … ??? :thinking:

Strange indeed. Where's my camera?! :? :cry:

I wonder if it's a personal setting each user has. For example, I can see some of you have saved images, indicating an album, but there is not camera icon. :thinking:

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Thu May 31, 2018 8:35 am

greygoos wrote:It is sad to hear all the complaints. This is a free Forum and just like watching TV or listening to the radio you can change the channel. Mike has put in lots of time and effort to get this up and running and keep it going. Lets try and find a solution instead of trashing this board. If you click on my name you can see my email address. I set up a separate email account for this forum when PM was disabled. If you need to contact someone post your email in your comments.

Its not about this forum...Its about how the internet has changed and how our lives have changes because a few have abused the internet an all of us have suffered.... THis forum is great, granted software could be refreshed, but its still good here but the rest of the internet maybe not so well.... And in the end it all comes down to human greed....

The concept of a forum where the information is stable and can be see by anyone, vs the rapid scroll off the bottom of social media (farcebook) that only shows the latest (2) most current comment you have information lost and people not willing to go back and read what is already written so you have tons of comment that are merely repeats of what was already written almost like a continuous phone conversation, not like a encyclopedia where all is stored just to be accessed by looking up a subject title and scrolling down.... A forum will always be my favorite way of communication and learning but good forums are getting harder to find as stupid media prevails... The internet has really dumbed down the younger generations... And computers in school, probably worst decision our educational system has made so far...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion