Tounge box tips please

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tounge box tips please

Postby edgeau » Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am

Hi Team,
I am about to start on my tounge box. What do wish someone had told you before you did yours?
I want to hear about mistakes and successes so I can learn from both.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Re: Tounge box tips please

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 am

edgeau wrote:Hi Team,
I am about to start on my tounge box. What do wish someone had told you before you did yours?
I want to hear about mistakes and successes so I can learn from both.
Thanks

I made the mistake of using a plastic "UV resistant" hinge. After a handful of years, it failed and I replaced it with a small hurricane hinge.

:thumbdown: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Fri May 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I did a variation of what Slow did. I found a decent sized Plano box for $25 and built a frame to sit it upon.

Frame being framed. Note the large wingnut left over from the folding trailer heritage. I punched a whole in my box to clear the nut. I'm only toting jacks, chocks, and leveling blocks. The box helps keep them corralled rather than tossing a bunch of loose pieces in my TV.

The box has ears on the side I can loop bungee cords over to hold it down while moving.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 pm

If you're building one, or buying one, be sure to get one large enough to hold all you want to, the first time, rather than having to get a larger box, later. I couldn't find what I had in mind, before starting to camp with my trailer, and ended up having to scrap a good toolbox I used there, as an interim solution. Some people possess the skills to construct one from scratch, in metal or wood, but I knew I couldn't, so I got mine off of E-bay, for a little over $100. Then I spent a week of my time, and just under $75 in materials to make a sliding base for it. I tried to keep it a traditional look, with hidden features, though now I've gone and spoiled the look by adding a double-rack sitting over it. Shoulda just stacked my storage boxes there, like Slow and Sparksalot suggest.
Attachments
double-tiered rack.jpg
double-tiered rack.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby danlott » Sun May 20, 2018 9:22 am

tony.latham wrote:I made the mistake of using a plastic "UV resistant" hinge. After a handful of years, it failed and I replaced it with a small hurricane hinge.

Tony

Where did you buy the small hurricane hinge?

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 am

danlott wrote:
tony.latham wrote:I made the mistake of using a plastic "UV resistant" hinge. After a handful of years, it failed and I replaced it with a small hurricane hinge.

Tony

Where did you buy the small hurricane hinge?

Dan

Over the pass and up the road in the Bitterroot Valley. From George: http://www.teardropparts.com/

:thumbsup:

It's a really nice low-profile hinge he as made for the old classics.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:58 am

If you're building a tongue box, keep in mind how the lid will open and plan for clearance.

I built my tongue box with the lid hinge on the side of the tongue box (short dimension) so the lid opens to the side and the tongue box can butt up against the front of the teardrop.

For a conventional tongue box with the lid hinged at the back (long dimension), leave enough room between the tongue box and teardrop so there is room for the lid to hinge back past vertical or add some type of lid stay so the lid can stay open by itself.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby edgeau » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 am

aggie79 wrote:If you're building a tongue box, keep in mind how the lid will open and plan for clearance.

I built my tongue box with the lid hinge on the side of the tongue box (short dimension) so the lid opens to the side and the tongue box can butt up against the front of the teardrop.

For a conventional tongue box with the lid hinged at the back (long dimension), leave enough room between the tongue box and teardrop so there is room for the lid to hinge back past vertical or add some type of lid stay so the lid can stay open by itself.
Good point. Nice work too. Looks like an old timr sea fearer's chest.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:32 am

If your building with wood, take the time to finish the inside well. These boxes get a lot of things thrown in them and can get damaged or take on odors if not protected.

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:24 am

I built mine practicing the Steve Frederick hatch out of wood and covered it with PMF. To seal the top I used a piano hinge with a rubber strip under sealed with butyl tape. The box is fairly heavy so I may switch to a aluminum box to save some tongue weight which is something you should consider making a wood one.Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques